Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Do you suppose he is new to boating? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/135744-do-you-suppose-he-new-boating.html)

BajaRunner 07-21-2006 10:59 AM

Re: Do you suppose he is new to boating?

Originally Posted by fund razor

I didn't realize that selling a boat to a newbie somehow constituted a bad thing.

Seems like I am getting some heat as if his lack of experience constitutes some kind of misrepresentation on my part.

Maybe I should have recommended Tres' "55 mph and less non-stepped hull" class.

I dont think there is anything wrong with selling a boat to a newbie. Some people may have seen it the wrong way as bragging about what he didnt look for (and with your experience knowing what to look for) and saying it may have been a problem selling it to an experienced buyer, but this guy bought it and didnt even know the difference.

thats what i took from it.

congrats on the sale.

fund razor 07-21-2006 11:02 AM

I got cha.

I was doing more of a "head scratching" than bragging.
I didn't BS the guy about anything.

The boat is ok, it's just that I expected a bunch of merc folks to poo poo the OMCs before I found someone who didn't mind them.

gotime34 07-21-2006 11:02 AM

Everyone starts somewhere. So maybe he'll have to do a little work on it...big deal, he's gonna have to anyways, its a performance boat. He'll learn how to work on it himself after he gets screwed by a few marine mechanics...and in a few years he'll be on here giving advice to other new offshore boaters on how to correctly change drives or what oil to use. I'm sure he is happier than a pig in sh!t that he just bought a new boat.

fund razor 07-21-2006 11:04 AM

I fully disclosed everything that I had done and everything that I planned to do next if I kept it.

I even gave him the file folder full of info and service history.

I even told him of my bad gas woes.

dave911 07-21-2006 11:06 AM

Best way to sell anything is to shut your mouth!

I think we need a thread on stupid mistakes you made when buying your first boat. Before the Internet, it was pretty hard to get good info on what to look for.

fund razor 07-21-2006 11:10 AM

I'll go first:

Stupid mistake when buying my first boat: bought it in the winter with no sea trial. It had a cracked block.

Marginmn 07-21-2006 11:16 AM

Should I feel bad?

Kind of confused now.

Well hell yes.

This poor guy has never owned a boat and has no clue about what he is getting in to. You should have given him the boat and a nice check to cover some of his unforeseen expenses.

You sold a someone a boat!!! How can you live with yourself?

Wobble 07-21-2006 11:22 AM

That's ok.

I didn't realize that selling a boat to a newbie somehow constituted a bad thing.

Seems like I am getting some heat as if his lack of experience constitutes some kind of misrepresentation on my part.

Maybe I should have recommended Tres' "55 mph and less non-stepped hull" class.

I cant see how you deserve any heat, if you are getting any. It is not your job, nor should it be, to educate a buyer. It is his responsibility as an adult.

gotime34 07-21-2006 11:24 AM

ok I'll go next...no sea trial, chewed up TRS drives, poorly put together motors, stereo not functioning, bunch of minor cosmetic things...It was all replaced and all turned out good...It was all good experience, I learned in 2 years how to take a whole boat apart and put it back together again. Everyone has to start somewhere.

BRET 07-21-2006 11:30 AM

Caveat Emptor (Let the buyer beware)

"Not the seller"