Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Center Console or Go Fast? >

Center Console or Go Fast?

Notices
View Poll Results: What would you rather have in a 38' boat?
38 Center Console
49.07%
38 Go Fast
50.93%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Center Console or Go Fast?

Old 07-25-2006, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Center Console or Go Fast?

I own both and spend more time on my Outer Limits. Its more comfortable with more amenities. Plus I like the sound of triple blower motors better.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:32 AM
Registered

it's hard to tell ya.. cc are nice and easy to clean.. and if you drop a motor it's only 10-15k to rig a new one

go-fast is go-fast.. got to love them

i'm going to tell ya BOTH
Old 07-25-2006, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

WOW, this is closer than I thought with OSO being a performance site.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:06 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a close contest thus far... I'd vote for the CC, for now anyway. Although I love a go-fast as much as the rest of you, (I've owned 4) the CC, if done right gets my vote in that category. If you could take a performance boat hull / bottom lets say, put a cabin in the bow area and open all around the rest of the cockpit... With the way O/B's have come around in the last 5+ years, I would think it would be the best of all worlds. Yeah, you're not going to go 100mph, but how often do you do that anyway!? And I know not everyone is into the CC's but I agree with Mike, it is a great compromise, and the lack of maintenance and extra room is great.

So, case-in-point, two weekends ago I am out on the lake and I come across a 47' Outerlimits GTX and it is sitting in the middle of the lake - dead! Hatch is up, one motor not running and the other - when it does run - is burping black smoke! Ouch! And here I am in my center console Whaler, 4-stroke O/B just humming along and enjoying my time on the water. Later that day I run into Cowisl at the marina and he said that the guy "was" running about 130 earlier that day and had just taken delivery of the boat. Bigger ouch! (I would have stopped but he had another 39 OL with him and he seemed to be running just fine, so I thought I'd leave them be, I don't typically pass by boats in distress...). So, long story longer - I am more about spending time on the water, esp. now that I have a 16 mo. old and he loves to be out on the boat, (and with our short season up here in the NE), as opposed to being in the bilge or on the trailer broken. Thus my current quest to build a 28' - 30'-ish, twin O/B something-or-other as my next boat.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sakoutis3
I own both and spend more time on my Outer Limits. Its more comfortable with more amenities. Plus I like the sound of triple blower motors better.
HOW DOES THE CC HANDLE ROUGH WATER WITH IT BEING SO MUCH LIGHTER TYPICALLY THAN ITS COMPARABLE GO-FAST, MEANING 38 LIGHTNING TO A 38 CC FOUNTAIN AS AN EXAMPLE. JUST CURIOUS IF YOU GET A LITTLE MORE WAVE POUNDING DUE TO LESS REINFORCEMENT IN THE FRONT. TIA HAMMER
Old 07-25-2006, 10:16 AM
Screamin' Nuts
VIP Member

bought the 38' Donzi ZFO - with 3 - 275's in feb. Love it.
just a matter of what you want and where you live
Old 07-25-2006, 10:28 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Performance Center Consoles Mike - heck ya. I think the narrow beam big boats 8ft - 8.5 (38ft) would do well in the rough. What speeds would be attained? Say 8-9 thousand lbs w/ triple Verados? Financing , insurance would be much easier on the wallet , right?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John W. Blake
bought the 38' Donzi ZFO - with 3 - 275's in feb. Love it.
just a matter of what you want and where you live
WERE YOU AT SEABROOK BEACH CLUB SAT. IF THAT WAS YOU THAT BOAT IS AWSOME I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED A LARGER CC BUT I JUST CANT SEEM TO GET RID OF THE 21. I ALSO WOULD RATHER SPEND THE TIME IN MY SCARAB.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by hammer01
HOW DOES THE CC HANDLE ROUGH WATER WITH IT BEING SO MUCH LIGHTER TYPICALLY THAN ITS COMPARABLE GO-FAST, MEANING 38 LIGHTNING TO A 38 CC FOUNTAIN AS AN EXAMPLE. JUST CURIOUS IF YOU GET A LITTLE MORE WAVE POUNDING DUE TO LESS REINFORCEMENT IN THE FRONT. TIA HAMMER

My 38 cc fountain is heavery than the 38 lighting, I don't think it rides as good as the light. because its 2 feet wider, they say it has same basic hull just wider, the cc has a cabin .
Old 07-25-2006, 10:44 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by THEJOKER
Performance Center Consoles Mike - heck ya. I think the narrow beam big boats 8ft - 8.5 (38ft) would do well in the rough. What speeds would be attained? Say 8-9 thousand lbs w/ triple Verados? Financing , insurance would be much easier on the wallet , right?

Sounds like a good combination to me Brian, all-around...

Quick Reply: Center Console or Go Fast?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.