Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Any shorties results (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/136043-any-shorties-results.html)

articfriends 07-26-2006 01:29 PM

Re: Any shorties results

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
Yes Smitty there are times like when my parents are on the boat. I'll have to ask Throttle Up if I can try a pair of 5 blades. It's strange that the shorty hurt your performance so much. Sell it and the box and you can do more to your engine. :D

Yes,its hard to believe that only 1 inch of x-dimension difference could screw my boat up so bad,Smitty

birdog 07-26-2006 02:23 PM

Steve Enmons {spl?} did it on his Bullet and helped alot...Bullets are set real deep {At least mine was}. I was going to try it but I was afraid i would lose some rough water handling....Just throw more engine at it.... :D

dirtlawyer 07-26-2006 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by birdog
Steve Enmons {spl?} did it on his Bullet and helped alot...Bullets are set real deep {At least mine was}. I was going to try it but I was afraid i would lose some rough water handling....Just throw more engine at it.... :D

you should not lose any rough water handling capabilities - if anything it should run/fly flatter and smoother - at least that is what I experienced on my Fountain.

Canada Jeff 07-26-2006 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Panther
Same here, not sure what to try or if it's worth it. Bob told me that my boat was set up for Mirage Plus props and I can probably raise the drive 1 1/2" which is where he set up all the Bravo 1 boats.

When I got the B-Max shorties were an option. Maybe next year but for now I'm just enjoying the boat. :cool:

If you can turn a three blade, I would say a one inch shorty with four or five blades would beinifit you!

I can't turn a three blade, I keep blowing out trying to get on plane. Thats why I am leary to fork out the cash to buy one only to find the same result I have with a three blade.

birdog 07-26-2006 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by dirtlawyer
you should not lose any rough water handling capabilities - if anything it should run/fly flatter and smoother - at least that is what I experienced on my Fountain.

I kept thinking...props out of the water more often = less speed & handling....I may have been wrong tho... :D
I did want to try a pair, just wasnt willing to drop the $ without
knowing....

Smitty 07-26-2006 03:05 PM

dirtlawyer-

They worked for you because fountains rely more on transom lift for speed. Most other boats rely on bow lift for speed.

Smitty

Panther 07-26-2006 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Canada Jeff
If you can turn a three blade, I would say a one inch shorty with four or five blades would beinifit you!

I can't turn a three blade, I keep blowing out trying to get on plane. Thats why I am leary to fork out the cash to buy one only to find the same result I have with a three blade.

I've never tested a three blade. I'm only going by the measurements I gave to Bob. He said those measurements were what he used on his Mirage Plus boats. Plus, I've never seen a 36 Apache with shorties or extension boxes for that matter, so no real world experience for me to draw from.

BMax wants me to stick my head over the back of the boat at WOT :eek: to see where the water is hiting the cavitation plate. They said if the water comes over top of the plate I can use a shorty, if it's under the plate I can't. :confused: I've been too chicken chit to hang off the back of the boat at WOT to see. :chick: I need one of those clamp-on cameras cause I ain't doin it... :o

BenPerfected 07-26-2006 08:29 PM

There are a lot of bottom variables (hook, rocker, flat) that effect the testing. My experience is that if you can get on plane with a 3-blade prop you can pick up top end MPH with a raised "X" ... and a 4-5 blade prop. The significant benefit of an Imco or Merc "shorty" is it they are an inexpensive way to raise the "X" vs. a total re-rig.
The increased speed is really due to the development and understanding that the 4-5 blade prop allowed the use of an elevated "x" (less gear case drag not to the marketing hipe :cool: )
The efficiency (more MPH) of the Imco or Merc lower unit may come into play at higher speed if your V-hull boat can exceed 90-95 MPH. The improved hydrodynamics's of the "shorty's may add addition top end results beyond an raised "X" at these speeds.

Canada Jeff 07-27-2006 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Panther
I've never tested a three blade. I'm only going by the measurements I gave to Bob. He said those measurements were what he used on his Mirage Plus boats. Plus, I've never seen a 36 Apache with shorties or extension boxes for that matter, so no real world experience for me to draw from.

When we got our 36, the drives were so high we could barely run it! B1tch to get on plane and if we came out of the water when running, the props wouldn't grab agian, had to come off plane and start again. We bought one inch spacers and she is perfect now. We were told our pache ran 90 in Lake X . We now run mid eighty's . I am scepticle about it running 90, we weren't there to see it.

AIR TIME 07-27-2006 07:41 AM

I hope to get out on sat to try my 2'' shortie 24 ol 650hp been waiting for some missing steering parts last 4 weeks so the old steering is back in for now. I'll post sat night