Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Any shorties results (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/136043-any-shorties-results.html)

klaw 07-25-2006 11:11 AM

Any shorties results

I know a few months ago tehre was alot of activity with people myself included looking to try shorties well I have not done it yet but I was wondering who had and what were the results

Smitty 07-25-2006 11:19 AM

Re: Any shorties results

I went 1" shorter on a 2000 36 Outlaw and had to go to five blade props to get on plane. I made so many changes all at once that I feel I went backwards.This fall I am going to put in spacers and go back to 4 blade props because I should be going faster than the 85 I am running now.

Ran-Dom 32 07-25-2006 11:29 AM

I've had solid gains going with -2 lower on my '99 35 Fountain - moved from a 28P B1 to a 30P B1 & gained 3-4 MPH on the top end. I'm happy with the results.

JaayTeee 07-25-2006 11:48 AM

I was lucky enough to borrow a set
of 2" shorties from a guy I know.

The end results, prop shafts 1" below the bottom
of the boat, drives on stelling boxes,
even with 5 blade maximus's..... couldn't get the thing on plane.

Smitty 07-25-2006 12:26 PM

Here's something I have heard from a few people who have tuned Baja's. They have said to actually stick the drive in deeper so as to gain more leverage and get bow lift for more speed. Baja's are not fast when they run flat like alot of other boats. They need lots of bow lift for top speeds. I will post my results next spring after I play around with things again.

Smitty

birdog 07-25-2006 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by klaw
I know a few months ago tehre was alot of activity with people myself included looking to try shorties well I have not done it yet but I was wondering who had and what were the results

On the Bullet ?

ActiveFun 07-25-2006 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Smitty
I went 1" shorter on a 2000 36 Outlaw and had to go to five blade props to get on plane. I made so many changes all at once that I feel I went backwards.This fall I am going to put in spacers and go back to 4 blade props because I should be going faster than the 85 I am running now.

What engines are in your boat?

Cattitude 07-25-2006 01:25 PM

lots to be had with a cat- On my 25' Daytona the Bravo was kissing the rub rail.

I went with a 2" shorty and ended up using a 1/2" spacer for the sweetspot. Went from a labbed 28 to a labbed 30 and picked up 11 mph from 88.4 to 99.0, best of many runs, both setups :D

SKRAMER 07-25-2006 02:05 PM

Been trying to find out if anyone has tried them on a 35 cigarette cafe.

dirtlawyer 07-25-2006 02:09 PM

On my last boat, a 98 Fountain 29 Fever, I experienced about a 3 mph gain and significantly better handling by going to an Imco -2. Moved up from a 28P to a 30P Bravo. Took some finesse getting her on a plane, but she ran flat and level even with positive trim.

I have heard that others with newer Fountains have not had the same positive experience that I had since Fountain raised the X-dimensions of all sport boats sometime between 2000 - 2002.