Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Why the powerboat industry is sinking. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/136174-why-powerboat-industry-sinking.html)

Pantera1 07-28-2006 10:28 AM

Re: Why the powerboat industry is sinking.

Ive seen a few Rags to Riches and back to Rags stories in my lifetime
"A fool and his money soon part"

FeverMike 07-28-2006 10:56 AM

Just received anohter email reply about an insurance quote that they can not write insurance in Florida anymore.

There are going to be some sweet go-fast boats for sale very very soon...with some low prices.

NickOTeen 07-28-2006 11:05 AM

Quite the cynical bunch aren't we?

Something tells me that I could give you 100 feel good stories and it wouldn't change your mind. I'll just say this. As long as there are lakes in the midwest there will be powerboaters...... cause that's how we roll. :D

fund razor 07-28-2006 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by FeverMike
Just received anohter email reply about an insurance quote that they can not write insurance in Florida anymore.

There are going to be some sweet go-fast boats for sale very very soon...with some low prices.

Yes. WAY too much inventory out there and you can't insure them.

But there is hope... someone will buy them.
And they will make great decorations chopped up and mounted in sports bars.

I am looking forward to having a drink at a bar made from a 42 outerlimits down at the local Bennigan's.

Another great idea would be to gut them all of power and mechanicals and place them on a rack launch. Run some steps up to each one and call it a "Rack and Lunch."

Or a "Berth and Breakfast."

See.... there will be uses for these boats.

BajaRunner 07-28-2006 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by fund razor
Yes. WAY too much inventory out there and you can't insure them.

But there is hope... someone will buy them.
And they will make great decorations chopped up and mounted in sports bars.

I am looking forward to having a drink at a bar made from a 42 outerlimits down at the local Bennigan's.

Another great idea would be to gut them all of power and mechanicals and place them on a rack launch. Run some steps up to each one and call it a "Rack and Launch."

Or a "Berth and Breakfast."

See.... there will be uses for these boats.

Dont be a hater just cuz you dont have a boat anymore :D :evilb: :D :evilb:

BGIII 07-28-2006 11:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'd hate to see what some of the posters on this thread would do if we ever have to live through another depression if you think the current state of our economy is bad. Imagine if you couldn't even afford to eat. Most of us have it so good in this country, we don't even know what average is, let alone bad.

fund razor 07-28-2006 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by BajaRunner
Dont be a hater just cuz you dont have a boat anymore :D :evilb: :D :evilb:

Don't think that I am happy that it is what it is.
It's actually a huge bummer because my original plan for retirement was to cruise. Summers in the great lakes, winters down the ICW to SC and GA/FL.

Will never stop loving powerboats. But...
I am just seeing the situation for what it is.

Part of the reason I sold my boat is because I still COULD.

I would advise anyone who is considering getting out to do so before all of the people with their head in the sand trying to convince themselves that everything is peachy start figuring out later this year that they might be stuck with their boats forever.

The gao released some new info about the economy today which confirms that the economy is not so rosey and inflation is taking off. I don't feel like cutting and pasting.

Unfortunately energy costs are just part of the bleak picture.

The boat business is going under because the supply exceeds the demand, prices have become prohibitive, service is non existant and once you buy one you can't insure it.

Last year at this time boattrader had 90,000 boats for sale.

This year they have like 115,000 for sale.

When the number rises to 230,000 boats for sale maybe I will buy a Top Gun for a garden planter.

fund razor 07-28-2006 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by BGIII
I'd hate to see what some of the posters on this thread would do if we ever have to live through another depression if you think the current state of our economy is bad. Imagine if you couldn't even afford to eat. Most of us have it so good in this country, we don't even know what average is, let alone bad.

You must travel in a very well-off group.
"most of us" in this country have slipped from middle class to lower middle class in the last decade.

It sounds like some of the posters on this thread are not waiting for the impending depression to be declared to start protecting themselves and their families.

I know all kinds of people who can't afford to eat.
We have a full emergency room with them using it as their doctor's office because they are uninsured. I brought in a big bag of clothes for some of them yesterday who have no clothes. My closets needing cleaning anyway.

Maybe it would be good for some of our members to be exposed to all sides of life once in awhile.

I will admit that it is good for the industry that many people are not willing to see the writing on the wall. That will delay the inevitable mass sell-off. This is a good thing. It will create a small window of opportunity for realists to stop the insanity and dump their liabilities.

StillHaulin@63 07-28-2006 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by BGIII

Thanks for being real ....
After reading this thread, you would begin to believe that real power boating must be done at 100mph, in at least a $100M vessel.

It's just heartbreaking to see those fools in their little Bayliners having such a wonderful time boating with their families every weekend while we "power" boaters are under such duress.

BGIII 07-28-2006 11:52 AM

Cat? Cat? Is that you?