Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why the powerboat industry is sinking. >

Why the powerboat industry is sinking.

Notices

Why the powerboat industry is sinking.

Old 07-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why the powerboat industry is sinking.

Originally Posted by BGIII
I'm sure glad I got another great weekend in before the apocalypse hits! I hope they are still selling gas next weekend.
Ya the sandy beach warm water , music and cold ones realy suc&ed toaday.. cant wait to sell my hole in the water
Old 07-30-2006, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Attached Thumbnails Why the powerboat industry is sinking.-sour-grapes.jpg  
Old 07-30-2006, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bgiii
Lmfao !!!
Old 07-30-2006, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fund razor
Spend spend spend. Go get those new shirts down at West Marine and hey, howabout colored docklines. And you need matching shirts and jackets with the name of your boat on it. And a better stereo. Don't you want to put new engines in that bad boy? Do it. Go for it. You will love it. It will go one mph faster. You can afford it. Call Fred at Trick Marine. He has everything. He has bills too. Don't stop boating for God's sake. And you know... Bill can get you in a brand new Fountain for less per month than you probably thought possible. You have worked hard. You deserve it. They go really fast. You could be faster the your neighbor in the subdivision who thinks he is so cool because he has a smallish Baja.You can probably outspend him. Do it.
Lighten up, Francis
Attached Thumbnails Why the powerboat industry is sinking.-hulka.jpg   Why the powerboat industry is sinking.-picturecopy.jpg  
Old 07-30-2006, 08:36 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Given the long response, I'm sure it bothers fund to be in the position he's in.

Luckilly I'm still in a position where this sport is affordable. But, if costs keep increasing and my income doesn't I could be in the same boat eventually. In the meantime I'll do everything in my power to make sure it doesn't. Rest assured I wont go down without a fight, hell that's how I got here...

10 years ago I didn't have a pot to piss in and struggled to afford my 1986 sky blue Honda Accord hatchback. Some are better off than others but I think its rather arrogant to sit here and bash others for not having the money to keep going.

I don't wish misfortune upon anyone and hope that it never happens to me.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:06 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Originally Posted by dean51267
GREED IT GOOD - when combined with ethics and morals, it is what drives us to innovate, create, produce and meet the needs and wants of the entire world. So go ahead, EARN all the money you can, give to charity, pay as little tax as legally possible, invest for your future, meet your obligations, and spend every thing else enjoying life to the absolute fullest.
Agree 100%!

When I was growing up my family made it to the top, then lost EVERYTHING. Living thru that I choose to go out and get in on my own, no silver spoon. This has also made me humble, move quickly, think smart and always look ahead.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Panther, I don't think anybody is bashing anybody for not having the money to keep going. In fact, I think it is exactly the opposite, where you and I and everybody else is getting bashed for continuing with this hobby.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:24 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I have to admit, this thread disturbed me a little but I found out that the world is not coming to an end this past weekend The places I hang out on the boat were back up to their normal active levels (lower Long Island Sound). While it seemed that there were fewer boats out earlier this year, this past weekend was encouraging. No doubt the gas prices are keeping me and others from longer trips and I don't hammer the throttles as much, but with a slight change in the way I boat it won't be much worse than last year from a gas cost perspective. I don't know who all of you use for insurance, but Bob Leuwellen (sp) from World Wide Marine gave me a price that is basically in line with I would expect (V-Hull), nothing any different from other years, so from my perspective insurance hasn't gone up much. Will I panic, sell my boat, stop doing the things I love...NO!! But with some common sense and modifications on the way I do things, this boating lifestyle can be done somewhat reasonably (if reasonable and boating can be used in the same sentence!!). And NO I am not rich, shelling out $$$ for gas hurts, repairs hurt too, but I'm learning to do more things myself on the engines (scary) and save some $$ so when a repair comes that I can't do myself it doesn't hurt as much. For those of you who bring in the big bucks and don't care about these expenses, good for you, but for those of us that don't can still have fun in this sport and enjoy rewarding times with family and friends if some restraint and common sense is used.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:34 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Originally Posted by BGIII
Panther, I don't think anybody is bashing anybody for not having the money to keep going. In fact, I think it is exactly the opposite, where you and I and everybody else is getting bashed for continuing with this hobby.
I hear ya.