Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Why the powerboat industry is sinking. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/136174-why-powerboat-industry-sinking.html)

haulinvols 07-27-2006 03:46 PM

Re: Why the powerboat industry is sinking.

I have used my boat about the same, if not more than last year. I don't consider myself to be rich, but my wife and I are comfortable. We are solid middle class. We do not over extend ourselves in the credit department, and are careful about spending wastfuly. I have noticed, at least in our area, that the large cruisers have stayed in the marinas more than last year. A couple of weeks ago I was rafted up with a guy that had purchased a new 340 Sea Ray last fall. He was complaining about the cost of gas and the cost of this and the cost of that. Normally I would not have, but in this case I just asked him "then why the hell did you buy this boat? Why not something smaller that is less expensive to own if it was going to be a problem?" He told me that he did not want to be the small boat at the raft ups (trying to insult me). Oh well, at least I am able to enjoy mine with out any trouble.

yesrej 07-27-2006 03:52 PM

it really is just people are just staying home. what im starting to see is people are not going on vacations and are buying things for there homes. you can buy a pool instead of going away to a beach or you can buy a game room instead of going to the bar everynight(ok, not everynight). i work for the smaller side of brunswick. i sell brunswick pool tables. last year was a slow year due to everything going up i think people just kept there money. this year i see people buying things for home and just staying there. this summer has been pretty good for me and summer is the slow time of year. now, is this just another cycle? if people are buying things to stay home and everyone has that idea and start buying these big houses with a pool and game room already in it, then the market will go back up right. i dont know this is just a thought.

StillHaulin@63 07-27-2006 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Panther
Ok, so now we have oil concerns and prices going thru the roof... Cost more to put gas in our boats, plastic is a petroleum by-product so it cost more to make our plastic boats, it takes energy (sometimes oil) to make steel, aluminum, stainless etc..... another vicious cycle.

The writing is on the wall, unless something changes.

HISTORY IS SIMPLY A SERIES OF VICIOUS CYCLES.!

Semper Fi 07-27-2006 04:53 PM

I had to re-evaluate my priorities and I decided not to buy a boat for a while. I sold my Powerplay this past January. I think it's getting too expensive (for me) to go boating. I still think the price of boats are rediculous, so I am "out of boating" for a while. :(

I know this sucks, but I would rather be comfortable than be "cash poor" from boating for now

StillHaulin@63 07-27-2006 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
I had to re-evaluate my priorities and I decided not to buy a boat for a while. I sold my Powerplay this past January. I think it's getting too expensive (for me) to go boating. I still think the price of boats are rediculous, so I am "out of boating" for a while. :(

I know this sucks, but I would rather be comfortable than be "cash poor" from boating for now

Remember, there's always an upside to a tough decision.
As difficult as it will seem being "boatless" for a while, just think of how exciting it will be when you dive back into the water!

pm203 07-27-2006 05:40 PM

Forget the powerboat industry sinking, the whole country is going down. I know things are cyclical, but the general shape of this country under the current leadership is pretty bleak.

Semper Fi 07-27-2006 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by StillHaulin@61
Remember, there's always an upside to a tough decision.
As difficult as it will seem being "boatless" for a while, just think of how exciting it will be when you dive back into the water!

When I sell my Havasu home, the upside will be me spending about $3,800.00 a month less when you consider the home payment & bills, the boat, boat insurance and the cost of going out to Havasu 2x per month. That looks pretty good to me :D :D

LostinBoston 07-27-2006 05:45 PM

there will always be successfull powerboating companies, what this downturn is doing i think is weeding out the not so good companies. People will find the best bang for their buck. I dont think Brunswick is the best managed company and ther are hurting because of it. Overall sales will tighten, but the best will remain and the bad will fall. welome to capitalism at its finest. I just hope that people dont get screwed trying to get too good of a deal or whos deposit for a boat actually goes to finsih up someone elses.

StillHaulin@63 07-27-2006 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by pm203
Forget the powerboat industry sinking, the whole country is going down. I know things are cyclical, but the general shape of this country under the current leadership is pretty bleak.

... and what leadership would you suggest?

NRG 07-27-2006 05:47 PM

As far as Brunswick, who cares ..
I would venture to say that if Brunswick takes a dive, we would see a serious "ripple" effect throughout the marine industry that would be devastating to many. Just because they don't build the boats that most of us like, it would affect us all in more area than one.
SCARY THOUGHT?