Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sony XM Satellite Radio Help.... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/136392-sony-xm-satellite-radio-help.html)

slboatdrinks 07-29-2006 11:29 AM

Sony XM Satellite Radio Help....

For all the audiophiles out there, please help!

I have installed a Sony CDX GT500 with the XMDSON110 adapter and XM satellite XMD1000 receiver, with TERK antenna. I'm tuning the head unit to AUX, but don't receive satellite. Tuner and CD work fine. Have tried changing out head unit, XM receiver and XM adapter. No difference with any.

Anyone have a clue as to what might be wrong? We were able to receive a signal at one point but never able to change the satellite channels.

hunster 07-29-2006 04:02 PM

Re: Sony XM Satellite Radio Help....

Originally Posted by slboatdrinks
For all the audiophiles out there, please help!

I have installed a Sony CDX GT500 with the XMDSON110 adapter and XM satellite XMD1000 receiver, with TERK antenna. I'm tuning the head unit to AUX, but don't receive satellite. Tuner and CD work fine. Have tried changing out head unit, XM receiver and XM adapter. No difference with any.

Anyone have a clue as to what might be wrong? We were able to receive a signal at one point but never able to change the satellite channels.

The xm direct works on md (mini disc) emulation. Your source should say md on the display and then the xm channels come in. Just scroll through the sources. A reset of the head may be needed but Idon't think so. I even have an old factory sony xm reciever and that works the exact same way. Make sure you have the red/white rca jacks in the bus audio jacks too. Seen peeps hook em up to line outs by mistake. Good luck!

slboatdrinks 07-29-2006 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by hunster
The xm direct works on md (mini disc) emulation. Your source should say md on the display and then the xm channels come in. Just scroll through the sources. A reset of the head may be needed but Idon't think so. I even have an old factory sony xm reciever and that works the exact same way. Make sure you have the red/white rca jacks in the bus audio jacks too. Seen peeps hook em up to line outs by mistake. Good luck!

We've got the rca jacks in the bus audio. Also tried the reset.

Scrolling through the sources gives me: Tuner, CD, Aux. MD or XM never comes up while scolling through the sources. I did receive satellite reception today on the AUX source, but only the advertisment that says to switch to channel 1 to activate the account. We hit the seek buttons to change channels, but it would not change to another channel.

Called XM to refresh the signal and that did nothing as well.

Sight and Sound 07-29-2006 09:39 PM

Call Terk and make sure your radio is compatible. Even though it might say that it is on the package - it may not. If it is hooked up correctly you should at least see XM as one of your sources after FM & CD. I have had many issues where the Sony radio says XM ready, the Terk piece lists the Sony model # on the package, and it still does not work. According to Terk - they have been having compatibility problems with Sony. Good Luck!

slboatdrinks 07-29-2006 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Sight and Sound
Call Terk and make sure your radio is compatible. Even though it might say that it is on the package - it may not. If it is hooked up correctly you should at least see XM as one of your sources after FM & CD. I have had many issues where the Sony radio says XM ready, the Terk piece lists the Sony model # on the package, and it still does not work. According to Terk - they have been having compatibility problems with Sony. Good Luck!

Thanks Sightandsound. It appears that this head unit (Sony CDX-GT500) is not compatible. It's pretty simple plug and play stuff and I've quadrouple checked all my connections and switched out components.

I'll give Terk a call and see what they have to say.

phil0460 07-30-2006 02:52 PM

The adapter and the reciever may not be compatable with that head unit for some reason sony made a few different adapters and recievers that only work with certain head units

Sydwayz 07-30-2006 04:51 PM

I yanked out my XM, Sony XM Adapter and the Sony Bus Control Module.

Steve, I wish I knew you were looking to go this route. They are all for sale. :D

I could not stand XM. I much prefer Sirius. My biggest gripe is that even though the XM integrated directly, the Sony round wire remote control on the dash did not provide any display info on the XM Station, Song, Artist; etc.

I ended up just adding some RCA input jacks and I have my Sirius controller and my Ipod Nano velcrod to the dash and I live having all the displays and controls in front of me.

slboatdrinks 07-30-2006 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I yanked out my XM, Sony XM Adapter and the Sony Bus Control Module.

Steve, I wish I knew you were looking to go this route. They are all for sale. :D

I could not stand XM. I much prefer Sirius. My biggest gripe is that even though the XM integrated directly, the Sony round wire remote control on the dash did not provide any display info on the XM Station, Song, Artist; etc.

I ended up just adding some RCA input jacks and I have my Sirius controller and my Ipod Nano velcrod to the dash and I live having all the displays and controls in front of me.

I'm ready to s**t can the whole thing. It's going to Best Buy shortly. They told me they can trouble shoot it and they sell all the components I have. I give up.

So much for listening to satellite while I'm cruising.

hunster 07-30-2006 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by slboatdrinks
I'm ready to s**t can the whole thing. It's going to Best Buy shortly. They told me they can trouble shoot it and they sell all the components I have. I give up.

So much for listening to satellite while I'm cruising.

Like some best buy flunkie can troubleshoot it. Go to a real stereo shop!

slboatdrinks 07-31-2006 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by hunster
Like some best buy flunkie can troubleshoot it. Go to a real stereo shop!

Good point.