Notices

3M Paint protector film

Old 08-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 3M Paint protector film

Originally Posted by Superman
When are you going to come up and see the new boats?
Actually, My next boat I want something really fast. I'm leaning towards Fountain.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dat aboy!
Old 08-02-2006, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
Actually, My next boat I want something really fast. I'm leaning towards Fountain.
AAAAHH, a CAT KILLER!
Old 08-02-2006, 08:20 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't care who you are, that right there is damn funny

Rob's stuff is pretty cool. The only hint that it's there is when there is a cut edge but as long as the vehicle is kept clean you really cant see that either unless you are right on top of it.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:17 AM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

The 3M film is great. Invisible bra. I use it on my trailer and all my vehicles. It deflects many chips that would otherwise really take a toll.

Sam
Old 08-02-2006, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

That is exactly what I did. My red Fountain is almost ready for the water. No more MTI for me.

As for the film I have it on the front of my car. I do not really like the way it looks. It does protect but still looks a like a piece of thick clear plastic on the car. I think it will look really bad on your boat. You lose all the depth of the clear coat paint. It will look like those vinyl wrap graphics on your boat. You need more fenders. I may have a few extra.....
Old 08-02-2006, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a customer that had it applied to two of his cars. It makes a nice paint job look like it has a major case of "orange peel". The worst part is the installer remove the pieces to align them on the front of an Aston and it took the paint with the film. Now the car is back in the paint shop for a reshoot.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:06 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Without going into the whole filmology, the older versions of 3M what was known as Scotchgard II (SG2) did have more orange peel in it, while it would accentuate the orange peel in the paint giving the effect Reed mentioned. There is a new film SG3 that this greatly has reduced the orange peel and there are also films that have no clear coat that are more shiny than others however suffer for longevity, you may also see blend lines as well from where clear doesn't match so its a trade off. As for peeling the paint, thats not a film problem thats a primer adhesion problem, 3M guarantees that the film will not remove factory paint, and I have never seen it pull factory paint. Every application that I do where paint work was performed has to sign a waiver, as the film is only as good as the paint it is applied too.

For Gino's MTI, we will use a 20 mil film for the impact areas on the side and an 8 mil on the top, one of the first things I spoke with him about was the chance of peeling clear when it is removed. no sense trying to hide anything.

Most should understand that this product it there to HELP prevent scratches and nicks, nothing is 100%.

As for the way it looks, that is 100% based on the skill level of the installer and by having the proper kit design.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

The benefits here in Colorado are huge. The roads have so much debris and small rocks on them it's crazy. Plus it seems every other day a section of road is getting "chip & sealed". I would not want to do an entire vehicle or boat. Like Rob posted, application is very important. I have NO orange peel in mine. I have an installer that is very proficient and does an extremely good job. I only do the leading edges, headlamps and mirrors.

My concern for doing and entire application would be if and when damage to the film occurs, you will have to pull the entire sheet. When this happens it may pull the clear as Rob says. It seems to me that repairing just a small area would be less costly. Then again, it may be possible to repair just small areas of the film, I don't know this. Rob???

Again, for me, the advantages on the leading edges outweighs the shortcomings.

Sam
Old 08-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gino be care if Rob puts in the deal you supply all the Beer ya might go in the hole

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Quick Reply: 3M Paint protector film

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.