Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/136786-fan-question-factory-1-2-vs-exotic-canopied-boats-racing.html)

T2x 08-03-2006 07:13 AM

Re: Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Factory 1 and 2 was partially my brainchild in that in the mid 90's, I had a monthly racer's column and suggested there were 100's of boats in marinas with STOCK Mercruiser power that could race as a BEGINNER"S class...... Unfortunately, I meant STOCK mercruiser products...not 500/525HP's. Modest power, no canopies, 60-70 mph potential and stock boats (As fast as anything Aronow raced). By the time Fountain, Formula, GM and Allweiss got finished with the rules we had potato chips flying around with rookie drivers and real race motors, running through fragile Bravo drives......on closed courses. All of which cried out for canopies.

It seems that the guys who "survived" this learned very little.

T2x

T2x 08-03-2006 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Airpacker
3) twin outboard cat, 28 to 35 foot hull, minimum weight, sealed factory v6 outboards.

You know I love Outboards 1st......Unfortunately, since neither Mercury nor anyone else currently produces a race outboard, I would cross this class off as part of any 3-5 year plan.

T2x

T2x 08-03-2006 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by NRG
Here's a thought. Is it possible, that the audience for this sport is too small and all this dicussion is between "only" those who care, but those who care are not enough to make a difference?

I'm beginning to think that this discussion is between a lot of ex factory class racers and team members.

T2x

Flashwave 08-03-2006 07:57 AM

Its turning into a safety thread. So let me point out the Poker Runners going 130+mph with little more than a ski vest on. We do it. So do the 25 other boats that go well over 130.

The Catalina Rum Runners race was won by an open cockpit Cigarette. This race generated great interest by several boat owners to start racing their open cockpit boats.

Bridge to bridge has over 30 entries with the majority going well over 110 MPH and only 1 has a canopy.

Point is canopied boats can be safer but there will always be those who willing to hang it out and enjoy high speeds with the wind in their face . Spectators who know nothing about the sport get excited watching open boats jump waves because they can easily relate the action to the risk.

And yes those of us who survived learned to respect each other on the course and the ever changing conditions in the water. We all loved to put on a show.

Will F1 come back? If there's money, they will come.

orss 08-03-2006 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Flashwave
Its turning into a safety thread. So let me point out the Poker Runners going 130+mph with little more than a ski vest on. We do it. So do the 25 other boats that go well over 130.

The Catalina Rum Runners race was won by an open cockpit Cigarette. This race generated great interest by several boat owners to start racing their open cockpit boats.

Bridge to bridge has over 30 entries with the majority going well over 110 MPH and only 1 has a canopy.

Point is canopied boats can be safer but there will always be those who willing to hang it out and enjoy high speeds with the wind in their face . Spectators who know nothing about the sport get excited watching open boats jump waves because they can easily relate the action to the risk.

And yes those of us who survived learned to respect each other on the course and the ever changing conditions in the water. We all loved to put on a show.

Will F1 come back? If there's money, they will come.

poker runs is not a race? :eek: remember ron polly article In EBM, what can of safety they have? well that was a big controversy.

you are right people can put there life in danger when ever they want, but also you are risking others people life too.

racing without a canopy is crazy and dangerous. i don't care if is a races or a poker run every body that go faster than 50 mph should have canopys,

the hard part of my job as a rescue diver is that the person that i'm going after is my friend , my weekend family and is nothing Worth's that find you friend hurt really bad.
can you imagine what happen is long shark doesn't have canopy's last weekend? but the walk away fine, why? because they know the danger and take safety seriously, Dan and rob are my friends i was in the other choper i was so happy when i saw both coming out ok, same happen to other people , billy(whm) tom reliable, mike (pepers) ask that people if they will even consider race without a canopy.
safety is here to stay, and we planing in make it more safer.
raul/ orss

ps/is becoming a safety theat because is a safety isue

Pete B 08-03-2006 09:07 AM

Flashwave and Joker you both have boats that could compete in F-1, why arent you guys out there already?? I am not stirring the pot or starting anything, Just asking a simple question. and Like the rest that would love to watch why arent you racing??

F-1 has had 1 or 2 boats the past 2 seasons, I realize there are motor issues that helped put the class in the history books. but you guys seem to think thats the racing everyone wants, sponsorship is first on the agenda.

I wish you guys the best on bringing it back, good luck be safe.

THEJOKER 08-03-2006 09:32 AM

I'm not racing F1 because I kept accepting offers to run canopied boats , bigger and faster boats. In the meantime I had my molds sitting w/ dust on them. I had to grow up and focus on building boats. I had to make a chocie go racing or build boats , I chose to focus on the boat building. As for potatoe chips boats - 4625 lbs w/a hp 500 is not potatoe chip. Don't throw Allweiss in the mix here , it's not his fault F1 AND F2 is history. I still respect Mike and he is a good friend of mine. He wasn't perfect but who is? Can we bring back the Factory open cockpit boats? Maybe , maybe not. Will 25 grand for 1st place bring back the hardcore racers? We'll see what happens!

Tricky919 08-03-2006 10:17 AM

I want to see f1 and f2 boats race with people water skiing behind them, now there would be some action........maybe some tubing too.......

Airpacker 08-03-2006 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by T2x
You know I love Outboards 1st......Unfortunately, since neither Mercury nor anyone else currently produces a race outboard, I would cross this class off as part of any 3-5 year plan.

T2x

Rich, stock 250xs outboards. Same weight boats. Set up, driver and throttle will descide the winners.

Ben@SRP 08-03-2006 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Tricky919
I want to see f1 and f2 boats race with people water skiing behind them, now there would be some action........maybe some tubing too.......

They already have that. They race from San Francisco Bay to Catalina Island and back. Pulling water skiers on one ski behind offshore race boats with like 300' bungee rope. It is QUITE interesting...

http://www.catalinaskirace.net/

Ben