Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing? >

Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Notices
View Poll Results: What kind of boats would you want to see race?
Single engine and twin engine non canopied boats
67.00%
Exotic canopied boats
33.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Old 08-03-2006, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Originally Posted by Pete B
Flashwave and Joker you both have boats that could compete in F-1, why arent you guys out there already?? I am not stirring the pot or starting anything, Just asking a simple question. and Like the rest that would love to watch why arent you racing??

F-1 has had 1 or 2 boats the past 2 seasons, I realize there are motor issues that helped put the class in the history books. but you guys seem to think thats the racing everyone wants, sponsorship is first on the agenda.

I wish you guys the best on bringing it back, good luck be safe.
PETE,

Please don't mischaracterize my statements as "you guys seem to think thats the racing everyone wants" That is not true. It's the kind of racing I enjoy.

I raced through last year, but on the West Coast as a P4 boat. I also produced the Huntington Beach Offshore Grand Prix.

Why not now? I see no value in changing motors again. Despite the numbers on the side, it's still a pleasure boat. Second the rules are still changing. Three, no boat count. This is probably due to 1 and 2. Despite this, if money was thrown at F1, and the boat count was up, I would love to go deck to deck with some talented friends again. In the meantime its high speed runs with new friends.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:16 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flashwave :

We think the same way! Nice to see a thread without bashing and name calling too. This has to be a OSO record!
Old 08-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

What does 1st place pay for Super Cat and Super Vee? Just curious!
Old 08-03-2006, 11:54 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,709 Likes on 3,785 Posts

I guess that depends on the curcuit, A question which would be better answered by Tom Abrams, Paul Whittier, Stan Ware for OSS. And John Carbonell or Frank from SBI. OPA has a prize purse of $25000 which is payed out by classes P-1 thru P-5 or P-6. this money is contributed by John Haggin of AMF.

By using the names of the organizations this is in no way slamming any, if you want the answers i believe you will follow the trail.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I was just honestly curious what the big boats payout for 1st place is. SBI - OSS -doesn't matter to me.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:08 PM
Registered

Just a question so don't get offended...

If the budget isn't there to buy a canopy boat or add a canopy should that boat and team be excluded from racing because they don't have the same safety factor even though its the teams choice to run? I get the feeling that those who have seen carnege (sp?) would rather take away a chance for a rookie or a low budget team to start racing just so that the odds improve. This is racing and yes people get hurt and yes safety and boat improvements are imperative but where do you draw the line?

Personally I have a boat on order that could be raced and is being set up as such. I have never raced offshore before so I can't say what speed is too fast on a course but I have speed skied 80+ and fallen and been over 120 in an open cockpit with the feeling that yes **** could happen but everyone has done all they can to make the situtation as safe as possible. If it is a personal choice then shouldn't it be just that? I guess I don't understand the mentallity of making this sport a rich man only game which is how I would feel if I could only watch canopied boats or had to afford one to go race. Hell F-1 was the class I was looking at until I found out there was no one racing on the west coast. "P" class it will have to be... for now
Old 08-03-2006, 12:21 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,709 Likes on 3,785 Posts

P- class is designed for the rookie or the teams that fall out of a specific bracket. OSS only allows canopies due to insurance liabilities. SBI has F-1,
OPA has all the P-classes, the organization which would suit you would be POPRA being on the west cost. They are attempting to make a strong comeback. they will be partnered with OSS in Las Vegas in September.
Hopefully it will draw in the teams sitting on the sidelines, and everyone will be able to see if growth is a potential. hope to see you guys all the west coast teams support POPRA.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

P-Class was ORIGINALLY designed for entry level race teams. Not any more. They still have safety inspections but no mininum weight requirements. There are alot of serious P-Class guy's that would not like being called rookie. Isn't this boat more dangerous as a pleasure boat than F1 and F2 racing?
Attached Thumbnails Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?-cat-fast.jpg  
Old 08-03-2006, 12:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Flashwave
Its turning into a safety thread. So let me point out the Poker Runners going 130+mph with little more than a ski vest on. We do it. So do the 25 other boats that go well over 130.

The Catalina Rum Runners race was won by an open cockpit Cigarette. This race generated great interest by several boat owners to start racing their open cockpit boats.

Bridge to bridge has over 30 entries with the majority going well over 110 MPH and only 1 has a canopy.

Point is canopied boats can be safer but there will always be those who willing to hang it out and enjoy high speeds with the wind in their face . Spectators who know nothing about the sport get excited watching open boats jump waves because they can easily relate the action to the risk.

And yes those of us who survived learned to respect each other on the course and the ever changing conditions in the water. We all loved to put on a show.

Will F1 come back? If there's money, they will come.
The main difference here, is those boats aren't trying to make tight turns at high speed. When I'm running my own boat above 70, I make about a half mile radius to turn, and even then you couldn't drive a finishing nail up my butt with a sledgehammer.

Last edited by cuda; 08-03-2006 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:56 PM
Registered

Joker,

What engine are you thinking of for F1. 496, 500 or 525?

J

Quick Reply: Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.