Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing? >

Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Notices
View Poll Results: What kind of boats would you want to see race?
Single engine and twin engine non canopied boats
67.00%
Exotic canopied boats
33.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Old 08-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Originally Posted by cuda
The main difference here, is those boats aren't trying to make tight turns at high speed. When I'm running my own boat above 70, I make about a half mile radius to turn, and even then you couldn't drive a finishng nail up my butt with a sledgehammer.
I was at the rum run and the bouys inside of the breakwater were pretty tight... the boats were slowing down a bunch for them, how much I have no idea but it was still a hell of a lot fast then the 28 eliminator we were in could even hit @ WOT.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:01 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm open for suggestions. This poll came about by somebody telling me they would offer a 25 grand 1st place for Factory 1 if the class came back. So I'm open for ideas. Bring the engine builders back in? I personally like the black stuff.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Registered

Would be nice if it was nascar like engine rules so Merc. isn't the only player in the game.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:49 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

[QUOTE=Poo]
Originally Posted by Ben@SRP
Do we all agree that we all like to "Watch" things like boxing, bull riding, X-Game stunts along with other dangerous and life threatening sports?QUOTE]

The interesting part of this is ALL the classes spoken of here came from APBA llc.. day's He did a good job even with the mistakes that come with any buisiness. No one else has come close to 1999- 2003 yet .:
The Facts....you know I love facts,

...... The factory classes were all developed during Gene Whipp's wonderful era (pre LLC).

THe "He" you refer to did a dreadful job and left the sport in a shambles. (For which I blame myself and the rest of the team that nominated "Him")...as a replacement for the ailing "Mister" Whipp.

The fleets were larger in the 80's and early 90's than anything that occurred during the LLC. (YOu can look it up) The Television was better( You can look that up too ESPN, ABC in the day VS OLN, TNN in the LLC) the purses were larger (And they were actually paid out) and their were fewer classes....and a true World Championship( Remember 75 boats coming from all over the globe PLUS our fleet of over 100?). The sport than suffered through division (APBA VS OPT/SBI VS USORA)...and poor and selfish leadership in the early 90's. Later the fleet count rose and the sport moved toward unity under the wisdom, industry contacts and unselfish efforts of Gene Whipp, then peaked (from Gene's momentum and team building)...only to crash under the LLC.

Let's not try to rewrite history.......... I know "he" has a lot of friends and supporters from the old F-1 and F-2 days...some of whom are posting here...(If someone says "Llama racing" I may puke)..... and "his" glory days may have seemed like yours..... If you take off your rose colored glasses, you'll remember that OSS was born out of a walkout from the APBA over the LLC's ruthless, mean spirited and short sighted policies.....

Amen.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 08-03-2006 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:55 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by THEJOKER
P-Class was ORIGINALLY designed for entry level race teams. Not any more. They still have safety inspections but no mininum weight requirements. There are alot of serious P-Class guy's that would not like being called rookie. Isn't this boat more dangerous as a pleasure boat than F1 and F2 racing?
No...it doesn't get forced into tight turns at full throttle... with 2-10 boats on both sides, many of which are near or beyond spin out status.

The number of accident free hours in even the biggest pleasure cats...far outweighs the sad accidents/hour record in factory racing.

I've driven that boat and it probably puts as many hours at speed in a season than the entire factory 1 fleet did in the same time period.
T2x
Old 08-03-2006, 04:59 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by HuntingtonBeach
Would be nice if it was nascar like engine rules so Merc. isn't the only player in the game.
When DEI or Hendrick motorsports starts making drives, boat racing parts, props, Guardian and marine ignition systems ...and has a worldwide MARINE service network...and a support truck at races.....your argument might make sense.

In the meantime support the organization that does.

T2x
Old 08-03-2006, 05:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by THEJOKER
I'm not racing F1 because I kept accepting offers to run canopied boats , bigger and faster boats.
All through this thread you're talking how great F class racing is. The first chance you get to run a canopied faster boat what did you do? You need to make up your mind.

I like the talk about relating to the boats but then we hear about poker runs where many are running over 100 mph. There is no way you're keeping my interest watching a boat that runs slower then my pleasure boat.

No doubt F class has some great competition, I'll never forget the first turn in 99 in St Pete. But the boats just aren't fast enough to hold the interest. Kinda like watching a bunch of Volkswagon Jetta Diesels (old non turbo models) running at Daytona.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:03 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by HuntingtonBeach
Just a question so don't get offended... If the budget isn't there to buy a canopy boat or add a canopy
I'm curious......

What is the maximum budget you would put on your life?

Racers are disqualified from answering this...ask your wives and kids.

T2x
Old 08-03-2006, 05:05 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
All through this thread you're talking how great F class racing is. The first chance you get to run a canopied faster boat what did you do? You need to make up your mind.

I like the talk about relating to the boats but then we hear about poker runs where many are running over 100 mph. There is no way you're keeping my interest watching a boat that runs slower then my pleasure boat.

No doubt F class has some great competition, I'll never forget the first turn in 99 in St Pete. But the boats just aren't fast enough to hold the interest. Kinda like watching a bunch of Volkswagon Jetta Diesels (old non turbo models) running at Daytona.
Does your dad know you only liked speed skiffs?

T2x
Old 08-03-2006, 05:07 PM
PHIL
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Amen Rich

Quick Reply: Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.