Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing? >

Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Notices
View Poll Results: What kind of boats would you want to see race?
Single engine and twin engine non canopied boats
67.00%
Exotic canopied boats
33.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Old 08-03-2006, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Who is this Gene Whipp person you talk about? I remember Billy Mauff standing up saying a few words about him in Daytona, but have never heard any history on him. Was he like Bob Nordskog on the West Coast?
Old 08-03-2006, 05:11 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Airpacker
Rich, stock 250xs outboards. Same weight boats. Set up, driver and throttle will descide the winners.
AP:

Those motors, which are a quality pleasure boat platform, will not withstand the punishment in the mounts and center sections, and are designed primarily for a much lower speed maximum and narrower RPM range than the true racing motors of old......plus they are not available in 15" shafts....making for a lot more leverage and errant bow lift in racing conditions.

I hope and pray that Mercury re-enters the arena on the horse that brung them...the racing outboard.

T2x
Old 08-03-2006, 05:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by T2x
Does your dad know you only liked speed skiffs?

T2x
You're thinking of the other half of the team Those little flat bottoms were cool too. Still has it in the garage.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Registered

T2XI DON'T KNOW YOU BUT I SEE A LOT OF SENCE IN YOUR POST, HAT OFF, RAUL/ORSS
Old 08-03-2006, 05:32 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Flashwave
Who is this Gene Whipp person you talk about? I remember Billy Mauff standing up saying a few words about him in Daytona, but have never heard any history on him. Was he like Bob Nordskog on the West Coast?
Gene Whipp started racing in the late 50's in Dayton , Ohio (His hometown) and won championships in everything he raced including inboard hydros, Unlimited Hydros, and finally (after moving to Florida) Offshore. He owned and operated the largest marine dealership network in the southeast and was a top Sea Ray retaile, In addition he started a Raceboat company (Malstrom Marine) and also worked with Steve Stepp and Richie Sutphen in developing the Velocity and Sutphen hulls. He was a lifelong APBA member, and volunteered man years of his life in helping to build the sport he loved. He was chosen to be APBA Offshore Chairman in 1995 or so at a time when the fleet was dwindling. APBA's spinoff evil twin,SBR, was skipping out on expenses at numerous race sights (It later went bankrupt and became SBI, which it had done previously when OPT went bankrupt to form SBR) and APBA was the "second choice" racing venue. Gene created a talented team, worked tirelessly to gain series and event sponsors, create a television package from shambles, and rewrite the rules (Factory classes, etc). Race boat counts soared, events increased, and publicity flourished...but Gene was sick and exhausted. Feeling that he needed to step down to literally save his life, he formed a committee (myself, Mark Nemschoff and Steve David among others) to pick his replacement. The leading candidate (and ultimate nominee) was a young man (Who Gene felt was a protege) who claimed to share Gene's vision...maybe he did..but without Gene's leadership skills, generosity, charisma, and lack of egocentricity...in addition he was a lawyer.

The torch was passed and the growth curve reversed within 18 months.........

Gene Whipp passed away during that period.

We all should miss Gene Whipp...Lord knows how high we could have reached, if only he was with us a little longer.

Rest in peace old friend.

T2x
Old 08-03-2006, 05:38 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Phil M
Amen Rich
Hey Phil...How the heck are Ya......?

Ladies and Gentlemen let me introduce the greatest videographer in offshore history, whose worldwide aerial work and interviews were at the core of the ABC, ESPN, Speedvision, and many European, Asian and Arab telecasts....and a one time Offshore racer of more than a little skill...and who in concert with his brash announcer had some of the most amazing aerial arguments about who to cover next.

Mister Phil Lewis......... Still #1 in my book.

T2x
Old 08-03-2006, 05:44 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Poo
You seem really mad lately tho . You told me once do not take this too serious . Back at ya'
Nah ..this is normal.... You should see me when I'm mad.

This is about patiently explaining why I frequently refer to the need to "re-invent the wheel" in offshore only to repeat the same (sometimes fatal) mistakes that have been made repeatedly over the past 30 years. I get frustrated when new guys make a mess and waste effort without learning from a past they never saw...only to be replaced by a new pack of new guys...who go right back and do the same thing.

You know when most of them leave?..... Right after someone gets killed.....

and the rest of us are left to pick up the pieces.

T2x
Old 08-03-2006, 05:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
All through this thread you're talking how great F class racing is. The first chance you get to run a canopied faster boat what did you do? You need to make up your mind.

I like the talk about relating to the boats but then we hear about poker runs where many are running over 100 mph. There is no way you're keeping my interest watching a boat that runs slower then my pleasure boat.

No doubt F class has some great competition, I'll never forget the first turn in 99 in St Pete. But the boats just aren't fast enough to hold the interest. Kinda like watching a bunch of Volkswagon Jetta Diesels (old non turbo models) running at Daytona.
I disagree.Watching twenty or more small single engine open cockpit vee bottoms racing in the ocean at 70mph is way more exciting than watching eight or so twin engine canopied cats racing around a lake or river at 120mph. You said it yourself, you enjoyed watching the Jersey Speed Skiffs race...even though they were way slower and far less exotic than the hydroplanes!And as far as the hydroplanes go...the Unlimiteds are insanely fast at over 200MPH...but the racing is not very exciting...its more of a show.The stock 5 Litre class only runs about 120MPH....but the boats are pretty evenly matched and the racing is pretty exciting.It really has become the best class in the inboard division.

The same applies in auto racing.Nextel Cup cars are slower than they used to be.They are also alot slower than open wheel IRL,CART and FORMULA 1 cars.But the racing is far more competitive and exciting than any other form of professional auto racing.In fact,NASCAR continually implements rule changes to slow the cars down to increase parity, so that the cars runs in packs side by side.Its not about the speed...the fans are interested in close competitive racing even if it is at slower speeds!!!!
Old 08-03-2006, 05:54 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by orss
T2XI DON'T KNOW YOU BUT I SEE A LOT OF SENCE IN YOUR POST, HAT OFF, RAUL/ORSS
Hat's off to you! ......... and anyone that participates in Rescue and Safety
Old 08-03-2006, 05:55 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

One more question and than I'll stop for a while.....

Did we run out of Fountain employees and "Llamas" to vote in this "Poll"?

T2x

Quick Reply: Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.