Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing? >

Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Notices
View Poll Results: What kind of boats would you want to see race?
Single engine and twin engine non canopied boats
67.00%
Exotic canopied boats
33.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Old 08-02-2006, 09:55 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,726 Likes on 3,793 Posts
Default Re: Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

It is of my opinion that the day of Factory style boats have passed, unless you are running a P-class boat. Yet that appears to be a ivitation to disaster when you have boats that are small runnig the same time as boats capable of twice he speed, IE 24 skater against a 38 cig. Look at the boat count of the factory classes, no one is buying them or racing them, The Ross's just recieved thier new canopied MTI to race SCL, they still have thier F-2 Donzi but seen that no one else is racing the class, being from Canada it was not good business to drive to Florida 8 times a year to race no one.

In St Pete 2001, A F-1 boat spun tossed the crew, a guy almost lost a arm.
As A boat Builder I think you should put a canopy on the Joker and see where that takes you or at least offer it and see if you have any intrest.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:59 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

More.......

1. One death...cancels tens of thousands of good impressions and efforts...... It is never "worth it".

2. Skip the "exotic" hocum......those late model F-1 and F-2 potato chips have more "exotic" materials in them than the space shuttle.

T2x
Old 08-02-2006, 10:02 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
That Apache was on a 30 mile long straightaway...... in big seas.... In those days the turns were bigger than some of today's straightaways.

Open cockpit boats with lotsa turns is a recipe for disaster.... including those poor souls who have been killed in Jersey Speed skiffs.

T2x
Sign of the times.

If I wanted to watch a roundy-round race I would go to Brick Stadium.

They say they brought the races inshore for the fans but I thought the old format was better. Plus the footage they have nowadays is boring. The new format doesn't lend itself to TV very well, the old format was much better to watch on the couch in my den!
Old 08-02-2006, 10:05 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's say engine was a 425hp spec engine and a checkered flag got you $25,000.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As one looking into racing next season, I have put a lot of thought into what classes to run vs. safety vs. cost. Factory sounded good but didnt seem like the racing was as close as it should be (even with the same specs some of the boats were just faster then others) which left "P" classes as an entry level point. And I agree that there should be some seperation on the race course with boats doing 75ish and others going 125+ but how would you do that and not have 2 courses? Also wasn't the point of shorting the course and being it in closer to the beach to attract spectators? A long offshore race might be more fun for the racers but it sucks to watch from a beach or pier?
Old 08-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 Classes - F1 / F2 ...no Big Boats Allowed.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:15 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by HuntingtonBeach
Also wasn't the point of shorting the course and being it in closer to the beach to attract spectators? A long offshore race might be more fun for the racers but it sucks to watch from a beach or pier?
That's what I heard but when the races were offshore they would still run down the beach, just many miles further. The fans would gather on the beach for 15-20 miles, now we're all packed into a 2 mile area and can't see the back half of the course well anyway.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:17 AM
Registered

When Factory 1 was at its peak, a new boat w/ HP500 was what, $90,000?

A new SVL isnt much more. And you dont need to buy brand new to get into a competitve boat.

I loved to watch F-1 races, I just think the class is dead and will never make a comeback. Its been tried and unfortunately failed.

I also think there are reasons why it failed when it was brought back last year. But thats another story.

If there were a 25k check for a checkered flag, and an association willing to support the class, it may spark some interest. But who is putting up the money and who will sanctioning the event? With that kind of $ involved, you better be damn sure the rules are iron clad and enforced.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stinger312
.... watching powerboat racing today(on TV) is just boring ,
What powerboat racing on TV?
Old 08-02-2006, 10:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther
That's what I heard but when the races were offshore they would still run down the beach, just many miles further. The fans would gather on the beach for 15-20 miles, now we're all packed into a 2 mile area and can't see the back half of the course well anyway.
Theres the same problem in Desert racing... there solution was to make a short course section for the trucks to fly through then head back out on the open course for the racing part of it. Maybe theres a way to get the boats to do something similar- like a spectator section of the race then the open long section?

Quick Reply: Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.