Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing? >

Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Notices
View Poll Results: What kind of boats would you want to see race?
Single engine and twin engine non canopied boats
67.00%
Exotic canopied boats
33.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Old 08-02-2006, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Originally Posted by orss
sure that way we can see people ejected from the boat and another boat run over
I didn't see anyone ejected in that video?
Old 08-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well in 16 years doing this i see a lot ejected out of the boat

ps/ any questions see freeze frame videos, you will see many more there
Old 08-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe the race organizations should rethink the current class line ups. Maybe limit it to 4.

1 & 2) Inboard Cat and inboard V, 30 to 40 foot hulls,twin sealed spec motors, not Reggie factory motors , minimum weight and thats it. no other restrictions.
3) twin outboard cat, 28 to 35 foot hull, minimum weight, sealed factory v6 outboards.
4) Inboard single V, 25 to 29 foot single sealedm spec engines,minimum weight and thats it.

Four classes, four races at each venue. No subdivisions of classes, no "hot" motors.

All engines must be available as "claimers" to discourage fudging.

Get caught cheatin or bending the rules and your fate is descided by a "Racers Tribunal". From fines to DQ"s to Bannishment for repeat offenders.

Then again, maybe not. Maybe the sport is better off with several different organizations in control? of multiple unkown classes with variable rules????

Last edited by Airpacker; 08-02-2006 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first started paying attention to this type of racing, I thought open boats was the only way to run. I hated the look of a canopied boat. I thought F1 and F2 were my favorite classes. The problem is that in those classes, they are running too fast on tight courses not to have a canopy. The day I became not a fan of the F classes was a couple years ago, when the Formula boat went over in a turn at Daytona, resulting in death. It didn't even look like that bad of a wreck, but dead is dead, and I'm not a fan of seeing who wants to cheat the Grim Reaper the most. I think all classes of racing should have canopies, and there are still way too damn many classes. I follow the sport, and when they are on the course, I usually don't have any idea of who is racing who. Could you imagine the difficulty Joe Six Pack would have figuring it out?
Old 08-02-2006, 05:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by orss
well in 16 years doing this i see a lot ejected out of the boat
Yep I have seen a number of them. There's no question canopies are safer. But it's not what the people want to see.

Part of boating is the open cockpit with the wind in your face. IMO watching canopied boats is like were not even watching "boats" any longer. I still have the 2002(I think) season of Factory 1 taped off of speedwake. That was great racing. Watching a bunch of canopied boats in flat water go around in circles just doesn't do it for me. Just my $.02.

And the "safety" reasoning really doesn't make sense when you look at all the open cockpit boats in the P classes.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cuda
When I first started paying attention to this type of racing, I thought open boats was the only way to run. I hated the look of a canopied boat. I thought F1 and F2 were my favorite classes. The problem is that in those classes, they are running too fast on tight courses not to have a canopy. The day I became not a fan of the F classes was a couple years ago, when the Formula boat went over in a turn at Daytona, resulting in death. It didn't even look like that bad of a wreck, but dead is dead, and I'm not a fan of seeing who wants to cheat the Grim Reaper the most. I think all classes of racing should have canopies, and there are still way too damn many classes. I follow the sport, and when they are on the course, I usually don't have any idea of who is racing who. Could you imagine the difficulty Joe Six Pack would have figuring it out?
Well IMO they need to "loosen" up the courses! That would get them further offshore as well. Classes would be more seperated, the racing would be safer AND a hell of a lot more fun to watch on TV.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Brian:

Do you really think that fans would go to a race site to see F-2 and F-1...without the big cats as the main draw?

T2x
I would!!!

When the big Cat's come out, I'm watching because boat racing in general is exciting, and I want to support all forms.
But I always prefered the F-1&2 classes. Just because, I could relate to these boats/teams a little easier.
The F-1&2 class teams also seemed much more aproachable in the dry pits. Now, I know that is a very broad statement, and it certainly doesn't apply to all the cat guys.
I had a great time meeting Stan Ware and his family, and the Roman Brother's, and eating Popeye's chicken with them for breakfast last year in St. Pete - in the Dry Pits.
But, I've also seen some of the big guys be very un-aproachable, unless you were in the same "league" as them.
I also recall everyone on this website getting behind the Papa duke's team 2 years ago to make sure they could afford to race in KW in '04.

Just an Opinion.

Hey, I'm just a fan.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:39 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok nice clean comments , I really appreciate the different opinions! As far as cost, it wouldn't be 100 grand for an F1 Boat. I just sold a brand new boat for 30 g's. As far as classes , like I said just (2).
Old 08-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,736 Likes on 3,794 Posts

[QUOTE]Yep I have seen a number of them. There's no question canopies are safer. But it's not what the people want to see.

Do you know this as fact or just spectulating, Hydroplanes are all canopy,
the top classes in Drag boat racing are canopy, as well as offshore and tunnel boat. and they all seem to be pulling in fans.

Maybe I am off the mark but what the average joe wants is to understand what the hell is going on, not 16 classes running all at once.

While this past weekends event was awesome with P-class and Pro series classes, I am sure many were confused if not for the narration from Martin Sanborn and Charlie Hamies.

After the 2003 incident that cuda speaks of a few racer friends said they would no longer run in a open boat. At the same race there were 2 others accidents, one in a canopied boat which almost resulted in a second fatality, and one where both walked away. and the water was flat as a board, this event in the previous two years were some of the roughest.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:53 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=Pete B]
Yep I have seen a number of them. There's no question canopies are safer. But it's not what the people want to see.

Do you know this as fact or just spectulating, Hydroplanes are all canopy,
the top classes in Drag boat racing are canopy, as well as offshore and tunnel boat. and they all seem to be pulling in fans.
Ummm, I'm going by the poll and the posts on this thread.

Like I said make the courses safer by loosening them up.

I'd rather watch that single Apache running over and over 10 times then watch 10 fountains go around in circles for 20 minutes. Just my $.02

Quick Reply: Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.