Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/136786-fan-question-factory-1-2-vs-exotic-canopied-boats-racing.html)

Pete B 08-02-2006 06:03 PM

Re: Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Just a example would be take a F-1 boat running 85 mph on a 7 or 8 mile course, you would see them maybe every 8 minutes or so due to average speed would be lower, and the current state of f-1 or f-2 seeing one or 2 boats racing every 8 minutes would hardly be entertaining, especially if one missed the set up.

I'd rather watch that single Apache running over and over 10 times then watch 10 fountains go around in circles for 20 minutes. Just my $.02
reggie's not going to like that!!!!! :D

white scarab 08-02-2006 06:08 PM

The manufacturers are the only ones that killed F1 & F2. They all got out ,except Fountain. They are the only ones that can bring it back and I wish they would. It was the only racing you can familiarize yourself with because you had the same or similiar boat. You could follow your manufacturer of choice just like Nascar. (Ford, chevy, etc. & Scarab, Cigarette, etc.) Thats Racing!!!

Flashwave 08-02-2006 06:25 PM

Actually equipment changes and the 3 year racing cycle killed Factory 1. These two factors seemed to have converged at the same time resulting in virtually no boat count.

J

JO - PANTERABOATS 08-02-2006 06:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have great memories racing in F1 and F2 class. Would like to see it back someday !!!

Jo - Pantera Boats

NRG 08-02-2006 06:32 PM

Here's a thought.

The new Miami Vice movie had the powerboat scenes cut down and minimized as the producers believe that the sport or scenes were not "enough" of "something" to draw viewers.

Is it possible, that the audience for this sport is too small and all this dicussion is between "only" those who care, but those who care are not enough to make a difference?

After all, this same discussion has gone on for years (maybe decades) and many leaders, participants, organizers, promoters, etc, have come and gone - and if we look at the current numbers, the majority just are not interested - is this possible?

Flashwave 08-02-2006 06:35 PM

Without question. This is a 3rd or 4th tier sport enjoyed by the participants and a few fans for the most part. St Clair seems to be the exception. They seem to draw a pretty good crowd.

J

CN24 08-02-2006 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by T2x
Joker:

This is all well and good......

until........

Someone get's killed...and then fans, racers, builders (remember Formula?), and sponsors (TV)....run for the hills.

Please consider consequences..... not images of past glory.

Next you'll want Nascar to race convertibles.

T2x

Ease up. He asked a simple question.

THEJOKER 08-02-2006 06:54 PM

I knew what Joe's answer would be , a real racer! Joe would you race in Miami for 25 grand for 1st place? Let me go ahead and answer for him , YES! Keep the comments coming.

Flashwave 08-02-2006 07:26 PM

Joker,

I would put the race pod back in the Warlock for $25K. Race in Texas. You'd get the East & West Coast boats.

J

StillCrazy J&M 08-02-2006 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by THEJOKER
This is all good info, keep it coming! I DO THINK fans would rather watch spec racing , open cockpit boats! Yes it's dangerous but what form of racing isn't? Wouldn't a 25 grand 1st place check get the dust kicked off some really good boats that are now sitting? Slower speeds , rougher water , open cockpits and much better broadcasting would make it very appealing to many! Just my opinion and like I said it's just a poll!

I've loved being around and watching offshore racing my whole life. The fact that my uncle Mike Poppa (Still Crazy) was killed participating in the sport did not change that, but it did change the way our family, as well as others looked at the safety aspects. Racing non-canopied boats capable of more than 75 mph, in big seas, is more than dangerous. You will just be waiting to see who gets killed next.

The comparisons of watching F class boats to watching Nascar are not very accurate. The only similarity between a Nextel Cup car and a factory car is the fact that they both have 4 wheels. I don't think Nascar would be very popular if there were a bunch of factory cars circling the track at 90 mph and every time one hit the wall the driver was killed.

It seems the best of both worlds would be the SVL/SV & SC, running crate motors, with adequate safety systems and canopies running a long course with a mixture of inshore legs for spectators and offshore legs where the boats can really run the way true offshore powerboat racing should be. Like Nextel Cup cars these are souped up bada** boats running high speeds with highly trained drivers and throttlemen that the average "Joe" with their 29 ft sport boat emulates.

The current state of offshore racing is very depressing compared to the glory days of the past, but I do not think all is lost yet. Certain changes must be made, ie. the reduction in number of classes. Watching only one, two, or three boats race per class is not even a race...it's a parade. And even though I have always loved to see the technology, speed, mystique of the superboats, it's not very practical to think very many teams will be able to afford the budgets necessary to race those machines on a regular basis around the country.

In short: One Race Sanctioning Body, two classes with 20+ boats each, long course with inshore and offshore legs.

I for one don't see the draw of watching open boats race as opposed to canopied boats given the same race course. Ignoring safety is irresponsible and imho disrespectful to those who have died in the past and whose misfortune prompted a safety revolution that now allows teams to participate without risking life and limb every second.

My .02
-Jordan Poppa