Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing? >

Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Notices
View Poll Results: What kind of boats would you want to see race?
Single engine and twin engine non canopied boats
67.00%
Exotic canopied boats
33.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Old 08-02-2006, 09:59 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Originally Posted by speed buff
you might see them at loto at any given time but not with 20 boats running wot almost rubbing into each other .
you've never been to LOTO then...

and what races have 20 boats in a class? SBI barely gets 20 at a race anymore...
Old 08-02-2006, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

f1 and f2 certainly did just a few years ago.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:10 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Clark Donnley was a very agressive champion in F1. He raced on the West Coast. Announced his retirement after the 1999 Worlds. Went to the first race in the Spring of 2000 as a spectator. A team needed a driver so he volunteered to drive a boat he had no expierence in. Sadly he was killed.
In 2003 Jack Storelle was killed when the boat barrel rolled in a turn. Another tragic loss. It's dangerous , very. But there are people that accept the risk. I am one of them. When I raced F1 I loved it, got violently ejected and kept racing open cockpit boats. Call me crazy but I love the open air and rough water.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,718 Likes on 3,789 Posts

[QUOTE]f1 and f2 certainly did just a few years ago.

Key word is DID, it will never happen again!!
Old 08-02-2006, 10:16 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Trust me LOTO isn't Factory 1 or 2. If you haven't started a race with 20+ boats all charging down a 2 mile straight away going for turn 1 , you really don't know what it's like! You can hear your heart pounding in the milling area and seeing the Pace boat coming to get you up on plane is something I'll never forget!
Old 08-02-2006, 10:29 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Never say never!
Old 08-02-2006, 10:38 PM
Registered

In 2001 24 F1 boats made the start in Key West. The starting line was so crowded I had someone do a Tony Stewart on me and got flipped off. Someone thought 6" was to close. Whoever that was had to lift or meet a buoy. Now that's racing. In 02 I had a Corsa hose me down at the start. We never lifted and went blindly through the spray to go on to have some great deck to deck racing. Yea it can be dangerous, but the thrill and skill, and friends you develop makes it all worth while. Like Joker I've been tossed too and couldn't wait to get back racing.

J
Old 08-02-2006, 11:06 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Okay, Brian. A few thoughts.

1) I'm with you on the speed thing. I thought low 100's was more than fast enough going into my FIRST TURN EVER with 8 other boats. In that respect 70-85 mph is MORE than enough.

Con: What is gonna happen with a crowd when the PACE BOAT can't go slow enough to get on plane in front of them.....

2) If this is gonna work, it has TO START with 20+ boats(10 per class). I don't think you can start with small numbers and expect it to grow beyond a P-class crowd.

Pro: If you COULD start with that many, I believe you can get AND HOLD a crowd.

3) If race wins sell boats, how about one of our members with lots of money, and no aversion to risk , puts up the first 300k. You said you sold a boat for 30k, well that is enough for 10 Jokers to run an IROC type event. If the theory is true, the money will come back in spades. I'd be up for it, hell I can get a power package tomorrow. I just hope it works out for you.

Just my .02........
Old 08-02-2006, 11:08 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Oh yeah, I WON that very first race in a boat that had not won in 4 years with a partner I met the day before.......

It IS definitely addicting.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:52 AM
Registered

Do we all agree that we all like to "Watch" things like boxing, bull riding, X-Game stunts along with other dangerous and life threatening sports? I agree, "Watching" open cockpit powerboats scream across the open ocean is exciting, but who really wants to take those types of chances anymore and why would you? We all have family, kids, friends and loved ones that want us to come home after racing as we too want to come home, so why not take advantage of all the safety items and equipment that "better's" our chances to return home safely? I like life, heck I LOVE life and the adventures that I have the opportunity to take advantage of, but if I can do it more professionally and safer, then I will.

I personally don't think that you will ever seen the number of F1 and F2 or open cockpit boats that we have seen if the past. People just don't take the chances racing powerboats as they once did. And why should they? There is a better way, canopies? SRP (Security Race Products, Me) and I am sure Lifeline too, doesn't sell near the number of "open cockpit" racing jackets as they did in the past, it AirVest and Seat belts for canopy boat now. I read all these people writing that; "yeah, I loved "watching" it..." but do they really want to be there doing it??? Too many injuries and death... Very sad...

Ben

PS: After racing F1 during the race and watching the accident that killed Jack Stoerrle at Daytona Beach, I never raced open cockpit boats again...

Quick Reply: Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.