Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Weimaraner or Bull Terrior, which is a better boat dog? >

Weimaraner or Bull Terrior, which is a better boat dog?

Notices

Weimaraner or Bull Terrior, which is a better boat dog?

Old 02-05-2002, 09:45 AM
Boat Girl

I agree the Vizsla is an awesome dog...same bodytype as the weim, but smaller...really good with kids...I like both the Weim and the Bull Terrier...as far as boat dogs I'm not sure...my one friend takes the Dane...so go figure...

Old 02-05-2002, 09:51 AM
supercrash

I would tend to look at larger dogs that a burgler won't punt like a football when he is ripping you off..

Old 02-05-2002, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The ideal water dog ???
I have a Border Collie/Lab mix female. From the side looks like a Border collie & looking down, the dog is very broad shouldered (lab). She also has web'd feet! The dog swims like a fish, and runs 28mph top speed. She once ran 10 miles (ATV river trip) at an average of 13 mph! Lots of running in the water to stay cool tho'. She will swim 1/2 mile across the cove just to say hi ! to someone. She lives for water!
You do have to watch her, because if you kill the engine, she wants to dive off the boat, even in the middle of the lake. This is one very cool dog! On the beach, she swims and visits everyone, then retires to a shady spot to rest when tired. never a worry
Old 02-05-2002, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We've got two miniature poodles that go everywhere with us. These are just a touch on the small sied for to be great boat dogs but they are very well-mannered. We had toy poodles before and they were excellent on the boat- required minimal attention and were able to get around on their own. I think the Weim would be the better boat dog of the two because of their mild temperament and minimal shedding.
Old 02-05-2002, 12:28 PM
Registered

Poodles??? Come on now! Is your boat pink too? LOL

Seriously, small dogs are better for the boating world. We have Jack's (Jack Russel's) and have had the breed for 20 years long before the movies and TV made them popular. They love the water and love boating and make great watch dogs because they are very territorial. That's my .02
Old 02-05-2002, 12:29 PM
supercrash

93formula....Your dog sounds great..I have always liked the Border Collie..The only time my dogs get wet is when there is something in the water to kill.

Old 02-05-2002, 12:39 PM
Registered

Our bulldogs love to go boating as long as they can see something. They love my dad's cruiser so they can run around. Mine is not too found of our boat because he cant see anything. http://www.angelfire.com/celeb2/pete...tRideMay00.jpg
Old 02-05-2002, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are you looking for in a dog? Remember they are for life. If you pick the wrong breed you will both be unhappy. Like cpqtim said, Weim. need lots of attention and are VERY active, not the kind of dog to leave alone for long periods of time. I have a Yellow Lab and he is great. Loves to do everything! Loves going in the truck, the boat, anywhere I go, he goes. Great with other people, kids, babies, other dogs. If raised right, (yes raised), most dogs will be well behaved. "How To Be Your Dogs Best Friend" is a book every dog owner should read. It is written by Monks in Upstate NY. Can be found @ Amazon.com.
Old 02-05-2002, 02:22 PM
MIdnightRider

The Weims are getting booted this year. I am adding to my list of "No's";no shoes, no step, no smoking, and now "No Dogs". My parents will be baby sitting this year, they live on a lake and the dogs like that, the two of them are starting to get a little rough, wrestling and such. Are the Vizla's good hunters? One of mine is money, the other thinks birds make a good oppratunity for tug of war, and a leasurely walk in the woods.

Old 02-05-2002, 05:05 PM
Registered

I wonder what type of animals Traviss has taken out on his boat??

Quick Reply: Weimaraner or Bull Terrior, which is a better boat dog?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.