Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
New engine technology, or Hocus Pocus.....? >

New engine technology, or Hocus Pocus.....?

Notices

New engine technology, or Hocus Pocus.....?

Old 08-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New engine technology, or Hocus Pocus.....?

Now Fountain is employing Physicist's to build speed boats. Not many people get the opportunity to break the laws of phsics let alone get to re-write the book.

Have fun trying. Its only money, they'll print more.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has been in limited production since February 13, 2006
Is high-efficiency, light-weight (approx. 196 lbs for the big rigs) (approx. 129 lbs for smaller vehicles)
Is 750 Horse Power
Multi-fuel capable: diesel, gasoline, natural gas, vegetable oil, etc.
May change fuel while operating under load
Requires NO computer
Slow turning, 1500 RPM
>>>>Will run inverted<<<<too funny
May operate on hydrogen with water injection for more power and efficiency.
May be used on helicopters with no gear-box.
Our manufacturing processes make this engine cheaper than the replacement cost of most engines!!
Environmentally friendly
Attached Thumbnails New engine technology, or Hocus Pocus.....?-heatengines10a.gif   New engine technology, or Hocus Pocus.....?-heatengines11.gif  
Attached Images  

Last edited by Back4More; 08-08-2006 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Now I understand...with that equation it makes it clear as mud....

Originally Posted by Back4More
Has been in limited production since February 13, 2006
Is high-efficiency, light-weight (approx. 196 lbs for the big rigs) (approx. 129 lbs for smaller vehicles)
Is 750 Horse Power
Multi-fuel capable: diesel, gasoline, natural gas, vegetable oil, etc.
May change fuel while operating under load
Requires NO computer
Slow turning, 1500 RPM
>>>>Will run inverted<<<<too funny
May operate on hydrogen with water injection for more power and efficiency.
May be used on helicopters with no gear-box.
Our manufacturing processes make this engine cheaper than the replacement cost of most engines!!
Environmentally friendly
Old 08-08-2006, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Re: New engine technology, or Hocus Pocus.....?

I believe this "Italian" may be using, taking credit and patenting an engine that the great "Smokey Yunick" already had running and operating and I believe also patented way back in the 80's.
Smokey Yunick called it the "adiabatic" engine also. It used a type of tubocharger to compress air that was then cooled by a pressure drop when forced into the engine to promote ignition under high compression without detonation. He also had it submitted to the military, but i think he died before it was ever brought into commercial production. If Yunick said it will work, it will!, but I hope this guy is not trying to take credit for someone elses great innovation and work?

Ray @ Raylar
Old 08-08-2006, 09:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GM did some significant experimentation with adabiatic engines in the 80's. Since we don't see them in cars, you can assume there was some issue. Like all theories, sometimes the application falls short.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

The ac systems in some aircraft work the same way, ambient air is compressed by a compressor, then cooled while it is still compressed, then expanded by a cooling turbine( which is connected to the compressor by a common shaft), when the air is expanded it can be below freezing temp. In the airplane it is called an air cycle machine (acm), on the ground they work ok, in flight the work great, but you have a lot colder air temps (i've seen -70+ in flight), and you have the engines driving the airflow to the compressors. There is alot more to it than that, this is the very short version! I don't think this would work on a boat.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

The figure above describes a cooling system. Unlike refrigeration there is no phase change if the cooling medium is air. But some of the heat energy (Qh), presumably from engine cooling, is being turned into work by spinning the turbocompressor.

The figure shows that if there is enough heat energy driving the system, there is excess energy to do some work from the shaft. Or you could use that energy to drive a bigger compressor and supercharge the engine. The high speed of the turbine shaft is only good for this kind of work. The limit to power when supercharging is detonation, so the overall success of this approach seems to depend on controlling combustion so that detonation does not occur. That's the real trick isn't it?

The patent talks about modifications needed to the top ring of the piston to deal with extreme and uneven cylinder pressure and damaging vibration frequencies. Not a bad definition of detonation. But I do find interesting the claim that even with very high combustion chamber pressures, wtih low air temperatures, lean mixtures and turbulence you can prevent detonation.

Tom

P.S. bobkatz I understand your description but the temperature graphs for the adiabatic system show heat being added by the heat exchanger after the compressor. I am assuming that this is from the engine cooling medium and is necessary to extract energy from that source when passing through the turbine. But I've been wrong before.

Last edited by tomcat; 08-08-2006 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

On the acm's the only time heat is added is after the outlet duct for cabin comfort, or the acm can be bypassed entirely.
And I have also been wrong before and I'm sure in the future. Now off to play with my old inefficient roots technology, on dare i say it, a fountain!
Old 08-08-2006, 03:46 PM
TeamTaboo
VIP Member

We had the best start in the race and at about 127- 130 Reggies boat with the new motors went by us at least 20 to 30 mph faster than we were going. When they get it right the boating world will stand up and take notice. Also at is very quite at WOF
Old 08-08-2006, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamTaboo
We had the best start in the race and at about 127- 130 Reggies boat with the new motors went by us at least 20 to 30 mph faster than we were going. When they get it right the boating world will stand up and take notice. Also at is very quite at WOF

Sounds really cool! Can Reggies hairpiece stand the G-force???? Sorry, feverMike, I just had to

Quick Reply: New engine technology, or Hocus Pocus.....?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.