Default Re: Tragedy at LOTO.. again...

Very sad
Old 08-07-2006, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clay Washington
This is defintely a tragedy!

I do drink when I am on the water, but I drink while the key is off, and I drink water 30 to 60 munites before I leave. I never drink alcohol after dark.

There is a 30 mph night speed limit on Lake Travis. When I boat at night I am always looking for that one boat without lights. Boating at night without lights is VERY dangerous.
I was going to the lake and drinking and enjoying the water before I ever had a boat. So of course when I'm on the water in my boat than yes I drink at frankie and louies, dog days, etc ,etc. I don't drive at nite unless it is a emergency. It is to hard to see another boat at nite no matter what the conditions.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:15 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by rdoactive
From the St Louis paper
"Humphrey said there was no report of speeding or a lack of lighting being factors in the accident."

But I boat out there every weekend night. Even when all lights are on, it can be difficult to see boat lights on moonless nights with all of dock and shoreline lights. Add to that the heavy traffic in a narrow lake.
It helps to know the lake well and have an extra pair of eyes for a lookout. It's easy in the confined space of the lake to to concentrate on one nearby boat and miss another coming at you.
Gary
so how do you get that one of the boats didn't have their lights on from that? they say that speed and lighting were not an issue... and in another article they were still investigating the speed and lights of both boats.... but that is a long way from saying somebody didn't have their lights on....
Old 08-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I do drink when I am on the water, but I drink while the key is off, and I drink water 30 to 60 munites before I leave.
Definately not trying to preach, but this does NOT make you sober.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Registered

If you're addressing me, I agree with you.
I've seen nothing about lights. To the contrary, my post above indicated it wasn't an issue.
My post was for those who couldn't understand how a collision could happen with lights on. On LOTO, it's easier than you might think.
Gary

Originally Posted by Sean H
so how do you get that one of the boats didn't have their lights on from that? they say that speed and lighting were not an issue... and in another article they were still investigating the speed and lights of both boats.... but that is a long way from saying somebody didn't have their lights on....
Old 08-07-2006, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 204 Likes on 97 Posts

This happened across the lake from my condo, saw the water patrol lights and other emergency equipment. After two months of being a first time boat owner I have seen more idiots on the water than 1 year of street driving. While a terrible accident, PWC's and the fools that tube on the main channel with a boat load of kids in a 18' open bow on a Saturday afternoon is behond belief.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:48 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

I am done with boating at night (unless it's a full moon) even then I don't care for boating on lakes at night because of the cris-cross nature of the traffic. Had two close calls on Lake Conroe at night about two years ago. One was a pontoon boat just sitting in the middle of the lake with no lights and the second one was a boat leaving one of the bars at 60+mph, also no lights.

The river is not so bad, as most people are either going up or down, still I have a hard time justifying the risk that is inherent in after dark trips.

Maybe I'm getting old...
Old 08-07-2006, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

36 baja, must be an outlaw.......another bad day for go fasts........R.I.P....and prayers go out to the families involved....
Old 08-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is getting off topic a little, but is there an abundance of boating at night at LOTO?? I know on Lake Powell it is very minimal. Myself, I abhor the idea of boating at night. Not being able to see any water hazard and such just makes me cringe.

Of course I suppose with the numerous bars and eateries at LOTO, getting from one to another, and then back home involves boating. I guess I just answered my own question.

Sam
Old 08-07-2006, 01:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rdoactive
St. Charles woman is killed in lake crash
By Bill Bryan
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
08/06/2006

..... in the collision, in which a 36-foot cruiser containing eight people crashed nearly head-on into a 29-foot, open-bow runabout, which had ............

I'm astonished that any media outlet would not seize the opportunity to sensationalize a story like this. "36-foot cruiser" is pretty charitable. I'm surprized they didn't go with "thousand-horsepower, ultra-performance death missile".

Quick Reply: Tragedy at LOTO.. again...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.