Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Tragedy at LOTO.. again... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/137213-tragedy-loto-again.html)

rdoactive 08-07-2006 01:23 PM

Re: Tragedy at LOTO.. again...

Sam
Any given bar/restaraunt can have 10 - 20 boats leaving at closing time. Double that on a holiday weekend.
Multiply that by 10 popular places between the 7 and 21 mm. Yeah, there's a lot of boat traffic after dark.
See this for just closing time traffic at 1 point on the lake.
http://www.mswp.dps.mo.gov/News/NRDe...p?ID=N07060114

haulinvols 08-07-2006 01:49 PM

Very sad to hear. Prayers and thoughts go out to those affected by this incident.

Have you ever noticed that in most cases the ones driving drunk only have moderate or minor injuries? It is a shame that a woman lost her life because a couple of a-holes thought it was more inportant to tie one on, than to be responsible by not drinking in order to make sure their guests got home safely. Very sad.

gsmith9898 08-07-2006 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Wobble
I am done with boating at night (unless it's a full moon) even then I don't care for boating on lakes at night because of the cris-cross nature of the traffic. Had two close calls on Lake Conroe at night about two years ago. One was a pontoon boat just sitting in the middle of the lake with no lights and the second one was a boat leaving one of the bars at 60+mph, also no lights.

The river is not so bad, as most people are either going up or down, still I have a hard time justifying the risk that is inherent in after dark trips.

Maybe I'm getting old...

My thoughts also.

tblrklakemo 08-07-2006 01:52 PM

i am not trying to dismiss blame, I dont know about the details, and I certainly dont approve of driving a boat while drunk....but you are considered intoxicated after two or three bud lights. That being said, if one of the boats didnt have lights on..SHAME and that sucks for the other boat. Its kinda like they forced you into manslaughter.

tblrklakemo 08-07-2006 01:52 PM

thats why I dont like to boat at night

Tricky919 08-07-2006 01:57 PM

If you've been drinking out at night, why not sleep on the boat and drive home in the morning?

Ms PatriYacht 08-07-2006 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tricky919
If you've been drinking out at night, why not sleep on the boat and drive home in the morning?

open bow, and 8 or 9 passengers makes that kind of hard

tblrklakemo 08-07-2006 02:14 PM

it is because somebody died that I am skeptical of the reporting and the here-say....the news people are too quick to rush to judgment and condemn those they don't like...even if they aren't saying it bluntly.

Sydwayz 08-07-2006 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht

So plan a little better then. That's what God made us smarter than :chimp: :chimp:

Jonas 08-07-2006 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht

Yup!
i agree,,
we have had occasions when we had fun and i started drinking and we left the boat and got a ride or a cab home. get the boat in the morning and live to enjoy another great day,
i hate to hear this stuff,,
lives ruined, destroyed in a split second,,
all envolved are going to be a mess emotionally, mentally , physically and dead,,,
such a shame,,
its horrible.
NOT worth it..
if you drink DONT DRIVE... if you see someone going to take thier keys we have done that,, they get pissed off but they generally are thankfull in the am..

i have done it but not in the past,, was a long time ago when we were kids, thought we were invincable, differnt times less people, less boaters and some luck,
shouldnt have back then either but we did,,
glad we grew up and got a clue,,,
now i just have to watch out for others,, dont do much boating at night anymore last 2-3 yrs found my night vision not what it used to be,,, so we stay home or leave boat or spend the night on it, there are always options.