Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Apache I Am Sold (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/137249-apache-i-am-sold.html)

Chris Sunkin 08-09-2006 07:14 AM

Re: Apache I Am Sold

Originally Posted by Fanatic
I disagree. I use to watch Apache wipe the floor with the competition. Apache did it then and another boat builder would do it again. Racing is racing.

So if they run the Baja 500 on the Indy 500 course next year and I won, I'd likely also hold the all-time top speed average for the race?

Chris Sunkin 08-09-2006 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
you're correct Apache is not gone, but that boat isnt Apache, it may have some heritage...But the only Apache available today is through McManus..facts is facts.

You couldnt be further from Wrong if you tried, back "then" as you say Apaches were the most expensive and the best around, the models floating now still are. Call Mark at Apache if you want one built and have at it. But dont bash them all for your shortsightedness. think about the all silver tsunami...quite the wave crusher:D

First of all, since I've owned 3 of them, I'd hardly call myself an Apache basher.

Mark is a nice guy and a very competent boatbuilder but again, we all know the story behind how he ended up owning the name. I don't recall ever seeing him in the cockpit or ever mentioned anywhere in any article, interview or elsewhere. And, to his credit, I don't believe he's ever claimed otherwise. Sure the silver boat is very nice and it does share a lineage with Apache. Bobby is substantially closer to the direct lineage of Apache but what he's doing isn't what Apache did in the early 80's. How many Chiefs are there now? One? Two? And steps? I understand he needs to earn a living and lots of people want steps but it's pretty contrary to the original spirit of Apache.

You miss the point of my post- what was Apache happened once and that era passed. They were a one-of-a-kind in an exciting era of offshore powerboating and they built a boat that was a quantum leap forward. They out-performed and out-classed everything ever made. They also struck on the magic combination of design, dimension,mass and construction that made the Apache the best, most durable rough-water boat ever built. There wasn't anything like them back then- there was only one "best" and it was Apache. I could name at least 6 or 7 builders today that could be argued to build the best boat. And, they're building them in some sort of regularity.

If Ben & Bobby & the rest of the Apache crew were 25 years younger and built the boats today, they'd be hard-pressed to make a ripple.

gotime34 08-09-2006 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
http://www.mitchertcustompainting.com/
painted the 41 Chief pictured and linked for sale.

Thanks...That "Red Dragon" Spectre is amazing.

Pantera1 08-09-2006 07:52 AM

Man this thread is sorta heading down hill.. Sooo

Panther 08-09-2006 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Fanatic
The quote was
"new vettes and mustangs are for sissys" it was in "jest" because I knew he was joking, some here are having a hard time with that for some reason.
So I pointed out new cars are faster nothing more. Considering I rebuild and restored 442's, Big block mustangs etc. I think I know all about "old school" cars.

Yup, it was a joke, comradery, ribbing, having fun! :D

We all buy boats for different reasons but that doesn't make everyone else wrong. I hate narrow minded individuals. :p

Nauti Kitty 08-09-2006 08:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This 2006 Saber was built from the original Apache mold without steps. This might be considered pretty close to the original Apache's except it ran 108 with 1075 Merc's. The Chief is a nice boat but other than Bobby driving it around what does it have to do with Apache? It's not an Apache hull, it wasn't built by anyone connected to Apache, now or then, it has steps and it's 42 feet long. Does an Outerlimits become a Hustler cause Paul Fiore drives one around?
NK

Panther 08-09-2006 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Nauti Kitty
This 2006 Saber was built from the original Apache mold without steps. This might be considered pretty close to the original Apache's except it ran 108 with 1075 Merc's. The Chief is a nice boat but other than Bobby driving it around what does it have to do with Apache? It's not an Apache hull, it wasn't built by anyone connected to Apache, now or then, it has steps and it's 42 feet long. Does an Outerlimits become a Hustler cause Paul Fiore drives one around?
NK

Nope but the OL and Hustler are distant relatives of the Magnum! ;)

I think 108 with 1075's is quite impressive for a non-step boat with old school technology! :cool: Does the boat have a cabin?

ThirdBird 08-09-2006 11:26 AM

[QUOTE=Chris Sunkin]You miss the point of my post- what was Apache happened once and that era passed. They were a one-of-a-kind in an exciting era of offshore powerboating and they built a boat that was a quantum leap forward. They out-performed and out-classed everything ever made. They also struck on the magic combination of design, dimension,mass and construction that made the Apache the best, most durable rough-water boat ever built. There wasn't anything like them back then- there was only one "best" and it was Apache./QUOTE]

Not to start an arguement but,,,,,,,,,,, stating that this was a one-of-a-kind, quantum leap, outclassing everything else boat is a bit of a stretch.

Now, as I agreed above, Apaches were cool and impressive. But, remember where the hull came from in the first place. It came from across the road at Cig. The Apache hull was by no means "revolutionary". Built tough? Yup. Rigged tough? Yup. Driven hard? Yup. Original and groundbreaking? Nope.

Pantera1 08-09-2006 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Nauti Kitty
NK

No you are correct .. however noone is so closely connected with the history of the brand ..Did the rightful heir to the Apache name end up with it after all the legal bs .. IMHO NO!
Bob and Ben are the ones that brought the name to the forefront all those years ago..
Saber, McManus, Chief all build very nice boats

stinger312 08-09-2006 11:49 AM

Just out of curiosity why did'nt Bob try to take control of Benny's side of Apache when he "went away "