used tow vehicle... for under $5k?

Old 01-20-2002, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 21 Posts
the pics are on pg 6 posted by Rivergirl
Old 01-20-2002, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kook is 4wd a nessecity or will 2wd dually work??
Old 01-20-2002, 04:36 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mxz-you know about a dually?
Old 01-20-2002, 05:15 PM
kook

Red face

Dunno if need 4wd or not - probably not.

I've been avioding tire spin (don't even have a posi) by loaded up 5 or so 50lb sand bags back in the rearmost section of the truck bed - works well, and I use them in the winter too, for snow driving..... Never had a 4WD before. My first gear (manual tranny) is pretty short, which helps with the initial launch-out - I think redline comes at 20 mph in first gear.

Old 01-20-2002, 05:31 PM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!
Cool

The bronco's have the AOD tranny from 88 and up and also the 5.0EFI.....and some the 5.8EFI.....lots of low end torque but no real top end at all.......very true on the top.......kinda easy to pull off too...

Mine is 4-sale.....5K.......Black 89 4wd Brand new 32's....cold air and hot heat...power windows and such.....all work.....It has fresh paint...about a year old....needs a couple things..small stuff but VERY clean and shiny....Got some miles on her but strong.....Cats need to be dealt with but Dual Exhaust.......lotta truck for the money...

She drives it everyday and needs a car.....it's little much for her at the pump.....Don't ask I'm not real happy about this....
Old 01-20-2002, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 21 Posts
Kook- What kind of boat are you going to be pulling? 4WD-great insurance, Ive splashed my boats in all kinds of ramps, even dirt, Ever not been able to get your boat out of a ramp? I was at a ramp one time and this guy was trying to pull his 28ft cabin cruiser out with a Ford ext cab 2wd dually, Tried like 4 times and couldnt do it, just spun on the slimy ramp.Pissed everyone off at the ramp (including me) I finally hooked on with my trusty old 80' Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 (old truck) and walked that thing out like nothing,to cheers from the crowd, AFTER we had to let 3 other people load up. It worked out but lucky for him there was somebody at the ramp who was capable, AND willing to do it, what if it was say 8pm and there was nobody there? You'd be screwed........Doug
Old 01-20-2002, 07:14 PM
kook

Cool

yeah, 4WD would be nice. I'm in norheastern MD, FYI.

Old 01-20-2002, 07:24 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 270 Likes on 95 Posts
hey kook, twin 29 is right on bout the insurance at the ramp,its a good piece of mind knowing that if its a little slipery you aint gonna have any prob at all.the low range in 4wd (with hubs locked or not)makes it easy on your truck too. incedentaly i have 214000 miles on my bronco,86 eddie bauer 302efi AOD automatic,and it runs like the day it was new.i have had several broncos and they have been great trucks.i also still have a 77 bronco with 51000 miles on it,somewhat rare and fun truck to but too short to tow with.the late 80's early 90's blazers are nice too,just depends if you are a ford or chev guy,either one would make a great towing truck with the bonus of the extra interior room.happy truck shopping
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-20-2002, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Kook ,a friend of mine left a truck and horse trailer here for me to sell for him . It is a 1983 chevy 1 ton dually single cab ,454 auto, 55,000 miles . THe only one I have ever seen that has no rust ! It is white with a stripe or two .It belonged to an older man that was told he has cancer and sold everything he had except the truck and trailer several years ago . It is always serviced and babied . He wanted$7,000 for the truck and trailer so maybe he would sell the truck in your range . Let me know if you are interested . I can e-mail a couple pictures if you like . [email protected]
Old 01-20-2002, 09:31 PM
Registered

I have found to have great luck with that old body GMC or Chevy. They made million's from 76-87??? some have great 350's easy to modify. 3/4 ton or even half will do 4x4 or not great towing vehicles..very reasonably priced...easy to work on..parts avail..

Quick Reply: used tow vehicle... for under $5k?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.