Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   The Poll game cuts both ways (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/137518-poll-game-cuts-both-ways.html)

shifter 08-10-2006 10:45 AM

Re: The Poll game cuts both ways

T2x,

Why don't you post what you think a good format for the racing groups to have, "an outline" and let it go from there.

I do not remember *****ing in the 96.

pat W

Ms PatriYacht 08-10-2006 12:01 PM

I never followed racing of any form until being a member here so I don't have much to compare, but I wonder does any other type of racing put more than one class on the course at the same time. One of the things I find frustrating, as do other fans sitting around me, is who is racing who. Then to top it off at the end of the race some groups don't even give the flag to the winner, so you walk around scratching your head as to who won. I can't be the only one that likes to watch a race understanding who's in front and then knowing who won. My husband said the same thing right before Rich published his thoughts, that there are to many classes, and from a spectators eyes it's hard to tell one class from the other since they are out there at the same time :( So what if you can afford some exotic boat (buy a 2nd poker run boat) there ought to be a cap, plus the more exotic the boat the less likely they are to finish.
Unfortunately because of the logistics of racing on water, it will never be a main stay sport. Hard for spectators to see well, and to hard to build a racetrack where tickets can be sold to spectators. For fans the offshore race is a pretty cheap event, Footing the bill is left up to the city, the sponsors, and the racers.

Chris Sunkin 08-10-2006 01:21 PM

The roadracers do. There's alot of difference in the cars so it's not too hard to see who's racing who.

"Back when", it was pretty easy... Open, Modified, Pro-stock and the Stock classes were what ran. No reason you couldn't do it that way again.

PatriYacht 08-10-2006 01:56 PM

T2x is right, there are too many classes.At St. Clair they had 7 different P classes alone. Then 7more pro classes. How can the public figure it out? The P classes are valuable to bring novice racers into the sport and to keep obsolete race boats out on the course but 7 classes?

As far as open ocean racing, if some guys want to, go ahead. But it won't do the sport any good. The sport needs sponsors and sponsors and venues want to see spectators. St Clair was a riot from Friday to Sunday. The bars and restuarants were full the whole weekend. The waterfront was filled with people on Saturday and Sunday. Do you think they would've been there if the race was 50 miles out on Lake Huron?

Finally, with regards to fleet size and unification, we are already moving in the right direction. OSS and OPA making racing as uncomplicated and affordable as possible and it seems the racers are voting with their feet. I am encouraged about the future of the sport. Ian Blain

sy goldberg 08-10-2006 02:22 PM

No classes,I remember from my young days(MANY YEARS AGO) that there was a race around MANHATTAN island with the most unusual mixture of boats you could imagine.The race started for everybody in one mass start and the winner was the first boat to the finish line with a prize of $10,000.

Pantera1 08-10-2006 02:47 PM

Yup fewer classes more comparable boats runnin together ..everyone loves the head to head battles .. watching some guy go around and just hoping he doesnt dnf isnt a race ..
IT WILL NEVER BE NASCAR the draw to nascar what used to be stock cars was just that , people can relate or picture themselves behind the wheel .. everyone has a car , few have boats nonetheless race boats
my 2 cents

T2x 08-10-2006 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by woogie
The Apache clip that's been floating around this week is more exciting than what I see on the tube these days - the announcer is enthusiastic :cool:

"Who was that masked man?!"

"Hi Yo Silver......AWAY!!!!!!!!"

T2x............ ;) ;) ;)

T2x 08-10-2006 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by shifter
T2x,

Why don't you post what you think a good format for the racing groups to have, "an outline" and let it go from there.

I do not remember *****ing in the 96.

pat W

Hi Pat:

Not sure what you mean here.........?

I have posted a suggested (simple )format on a number of occasions ( no more than 4 classes, only 1 featured on TV...etc.) as well as rules to follow regarding simplicity, cost effectiveness, and the need for a quality television package to attract significant sponsor dollars.

In response, I have been accused of everything from being a "know it all" to kidnapping the Lindbergh baby....by a group of know it alls and kidnappers. :p

Truth is even Bass fishing has one (understandable) class... The guy with the most pounds of fish wins...... There is no Walleye class, or Crappie class...... Even though I am sure there are some great Walleye fisherman out there..... They go to a Walleye Tournament, which is enjoyable, and not televised....except maybe in Wisconsin which is so cold and boring in the winter, they use local television as a form of birth control :D .

Finally, I do not remember ****ing in the 96 either...but I do recall some splendid moments in the back seat of my '57 Chevy. :cool: :cool:

T2x

T2x 08-10-2006 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht
Unfortunately because of the logistics of racing on water, it will never be a main stay sport. Hard for spectators to see well, and to hard to build a racetrack where tickets can be sold to spectators.

To an earlier thought, if Bass Fishing can garner a following, (no track, no arena) why not boat racing? I have always believed that we could be as big as Motocross, or NHRA, or Beach Volleyball....for that matter. If we could develop recognizable personalities that the public could identify with (John Force is a great example). To be sure, there have been many bigger than life personalities in the sport over the years: Aronow, Billy Don Pruett, Al Copeland, Ben Kramer, Mark Lavin, Ben Robertson, Steve Curtis, Willie Diaz, Brownie...etc, etc even Reggie (someone has to be the villain :D )...... But they all have to race in the same class otherwise you have John Force racing against John anonymous....... and some other colorful character, who might make a great counterpoint to Force racing in another class.

Think of the potential of , "Darth Vader" Reggie, racing against "Dr. Strangelove" Bertel, against " The Genius" :rolleyes: Steve M, against "Gentleman" John Tomlinson, against "the dashing MBE", Steve Curtis, against "the entrepeneur" Tom Abrams, against "the Plumber", Billy Mauff, against "the Cajun", Stan Ware, against "The Rookie", Ray Contreras, against "The Family men" in Hooters and "the Pirates" in Motley Crew......etc, etc,...in THE SAME CLASS....which of course is in the SAME ORGANIZATION...regardless of initials.

Think of all of the above.....on a television program with rough seas...... fast boats... with some big air...lots of character development (Ala John Force)...and appropriate engine noise, .... a mandatory pit stop or two.... the use of full course yellows..... and a 90 minute race length.....

Now you've got something that might creep into the couch potato's consciousness..... and if the drivers look like Tomlinson and Curtis....might even wake up his wife and daughter...

For the record...this is not the first time I have posted this...nor put it into a business plan for the APBA...when I was the offshore official responsible for TV......

Maybe someday....... :p

T2x

bouyhunter 08-10-2006 05:42 PM

OK, I'm only partially saying this in jest.
Only Partially, because it's crazy enough that it could actually work.

We've already collectively said that we miss the "old school" offshore race.
We've also said we're tired of boats running in circles in the harbor.
We've also said sponsorship needs to be seen by attendees, and sponsor's lose interest as soon as the boat leaves the veiwing area.
Also, there is no revenue for the race organization - because anyone can watch from land for free. You may have to pay to get to the "good spot" at a few of the races, but you can see it free, and bring your own food and drink.

So, the problem is the viewing area.
Why does the viewing area have to be on land?

This is where it get's crazy.

Change the viewing area, or "grand stand".
Sell tickets to the race - $100 - $200 - $???, whatever.
Have people viewing the race overhead from a seat in the GoodYear, FujiFilm... blimp (more marketing :D ) - have it hovering high enough to be out of the way of helicopters, but close enough on a spread out course to get a good horizontal view.
Turn it into a prestige place to be (ie. Horse Racing...)
There is a Galley and Bar on the Blimp making profit on food and drink, fan's have an excellent view of the entire course, and the organization can cut into the profit of ticket sales.

Just a crazy idea.