Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   The Poll game cuts both ways (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/137518-poll-game-cuts-both-ways.html)

C_Spray 08-11-2006 07:42 AM

Re: The Poll game cuts both ways

I'd vote for 100-Plus' option, but it's not on the list....

Pantera1 08-11-2006 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by T2x
The earlier points about the JERZY Boys being colorful are, in fact, valid. The problem is that, once again, they race in a mind dizzying array of classes........... and that is a good place to begin.

For the record, before I begin what I hope is an objective critique, let me say I love these guys, many of them are my friends, and they represent grass roots racing at its best.

They are, no doubt, enthusiastic racers, with good souls, trying to do the "right thing", with a love of the sport, and an interesting sponsor in AMF........They race...often in the ocean...on larger courses....in open cockpits...If you enjoy "Old school" racing.

However, they are producing an unmarketable product. It is not an entertaining attraction for the casual, or even frequent, motorsports fan. They race at both APBA and OSS events and try to maintain "independence" .... thereby assuring a continuation of fan confusion regarding sanctioning bodies and national/world championships...

Bottom line, if this sport is to not only survive, but flourish, it needs a single national sanctioning body, very few classes, and a unity of spirit. Right now we have too many people spending good money, and creating races, with differing agendas and visions, pulling the core sport to pieces.

In truth...in the old days.... there were 4 classes.....with one (Open).... getting the (deserved) media coverage (including ABC). It worked then...and the race fleets exceeded 100 at national events....50 at regional events.... everybody was after the same set of points...and large foreign fleets came over for our World Championships. If you had a Turbine....you couldn't race...but you could afford an Open Boat. If you had a boat manufacturing company... you were welcome...but you had to conform to the class rules...not vice versa.

The main point in this poll, for me, is that simplification and unification....can make this sport something special, and marketable for all concerned.

T2x

AMEN !

Racegirl3 08-11-2006 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by T2x
The earlier points about the JERZY Boys being colorful are, in fact, valid. The problem is that, once again, they race in a mind dizzying array of classes........... and that is a good place to begin.

The P classes are pretty simple to understand but I do agree that, as a fan I dont understand why there are seperate classes for Vs and Cats ... I think breaking down the classes by speed is all you need. After all, 100 mph in a cat is still 100 mph in a V and all different boat types runnin in the same speed bracket would help the competition between the makes (ie ... chevy vs ford vs dodge ....)

Originally Posted by T2x
However, they are producing an unmarketable product. It is not an entertaining attraction for the casual, or even frequent, motorsports fan. They race at both APBA and OSS events and try to maintain "independence" .... thereby assuring a continuation of fan confusion regarding sanctioning bodies and national/world championships....

A few years ago when I started bein interested in this stuff, it made difference to me what the initials were that was hosting the race. I think most "casual" fans still dont care. The only reason it makes any difference to me now is, Ive spent more time than I should have, reading the bickering and now cant support somebodys series that I think is an *******. :eek: :D The product is still very much marketable ... there just needs to be somebody with a good attitude to do it.

Originally Posted by T2X
Bottom line, if this sport is to not only survive, but flourish, it needs a single national sanctioning body, very few classes, and a unity of spirit. Right now we have too many people spending good money, and creating races, with differing agendas and visions, pulling the core sport to pieces.

Why does the unity HAVE to come with one set of initials? Why cant there still be unity with 4 sanctioning bodies? With the 4 different groups, there are more races being ran all over the country instead of by one group in one area. Yes it would be nice, in a perfect world, to have one "head" board working with all 4 bodies but due to personalities or whatever, thats not likely to happen. How about focusing on stuff that CAN happen? The 4 can remain seperate but still work together. Im not speaking from theory, Im speaking from experience. Thats how I run my business ... I work with my competitors everyday ... makes everybodys life easier. Granted .. its not the norm .. but it is possible and it does work.

Just a thought .... :bunny:

Interceptor 08-11-2006 11:57 AM

I and my girlfriend attended the recent St.Clair OSS/OPA races. We watched the first race. It was obvious she had seen enough so we left.
On the way out we walked through the dry pits. Different story. She was very interested in the boats, crews, equipment and my attempt to explain the boats capabilities.
I've always told people the races are more a show of color, equipment and noise vs. side by side racing.
I know I'm going against the grain but if you expect fans to come to these races they need to be on short viewable courses. I've never understood why the offshores don't run on the short unlimited gold cup course in the Detroit River.
ed

Ron P 08-11-2006 12:53 PM

Just my two cents.

If we could all just come together for a unified World Championship race in Key West each November it would be more that anyone could ask. Remember 2004? The bickering was almost non existant since we all knew we'd be in KW racing together. After that race people had hope for more joint races, but things went the other way.

Fans asking for unification is like hamburger munchers demanding that McDonalds sells out to Burger King. :D

Can't we be happy with Offshore the way it is? At least Race Girl seems to have enjoyed the show along with a few thousand other people that lined the shores of the St Clair River.

T2x 08-11-2006 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Racegirl3
Why does the unity HAVE to come with one set of initials? Why cant there still be unity with 4 sanctioning bodies?

Just a thought .... :bunny:

With separate initials comes competition between the initials...and loyalty to specific initials...and not every loyal member is a gentleman or lady or, for that matter, very knowledgeable...and that leads to misunderstandings about other initials...which leads to finger pointing towards other initials.....which is where we are today.

This has gone on between every set of initials since the first set (OPT) broke off from the APBA........

I , personally, don't care which set is the eventual single body, but I have never seen any two sets of initials do anything but compete for a limited market of boats, sponsors, race locations, and spectators.....and there just aren't enough of any of those resources today to support (and comprehend) more than one group.

In the past 25 years...... Nordskog pulled POPBRA out of the National series.....Carbonell pulled OPT out..... various northeasterners...... created a number of Alphabet groups due to dissent..... OPT went bankrupt....SBR went bankrupt...
APBA caved in to the LLC..... OSS pulled out of APBA.... SBI merged with APBA..... Racers fled to OSS.....

After all that crap........ and more. The only shot...is unity.

T2x

T2x 08-11-2006 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ron P
Fans asking for unification is like hamburger munchers demanding that McDonalds sells out to Burger King. :D

Can't we be happy with Offshore the way it is? At least Race Girl seems to have enjoyed the show along with a few thousand other people that lined the shores of the St Clair River.

Ron:

There is an ever expanding appetite for Hamburgers....There is an ever declining market for Offshore racing....

When markets decline....businesses consolidate.

The St Clair race was great.....That is creating momentum and an appetite for more..... This is a chance to build on a common positive trajectory.... not send shots off in multiple directions.

T2x

Interceptor 08-11-2006 01:50 PM

Unity......... this is all very similar to the IRL/CART mess and the various bodies that have sanctioned road racing.

Offshore needs a NASCAR type leadership.

Racegirl3 08-11-2006 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by T2x
With separate initials comes competition between the initials...and loyalty to specific initials...and not every loyal member is a gentleman or lady or, for that matter, very knowledgeable...and that leads to misunderstandings about other initials...which leads to finger pointing towards other initials.....which is where we are today.

Competition.. loyalty .. Those should be good things. McDonalds and Burger King BOTH try to come up with new and inventive ways to attract the consumer. They dont do it by finger pointing (well ok some) and name callin. :rolleyes: :D

bouyhunter 08-11-2006 04:54 PM

I think I see where RG was going with this.

I hate doing this, but everyone try's to compare this to NASCAR, and now I will too.

Ok, let's do it this way:
SBI = Roush Racing
APBA = Hendrick Motorsports
OSS = DEI
AMF = etc....
(don't take any of those as comparisons to the organizations, just an example).

And they all race under the same "National" platform - TBDO (To Be Determined Offshore).

Dawn, don't mean to paraphrase - if I'm off base, feel free to correct me.

I still think it would be cool to watch a race from the blimp :D