Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OT:  Tow vehicle - Army Surplus Blazer (diesel) >

OT: Tow vehicle - Army Surplus Blazer (diesel)

Notices

OT: Tow vehicle - Army Surplus Blazer (diesel)

Old 02-06-2002, 04:32 PM
kook

Question OT: Tow vehicle - Army Surplus Blazer (diesel)

Looking at an '84 Army surplus Blazer, 4x4, 6.2L diesel. 36K miles. Anyone have some details on these things? Towing capacity? Powertrain durability?

Old 02-06-2002, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Talking

Audiofn borrowed one of them to tow his Formula 302 from Long Island to north of Boston, He said it was one HELL of a tow vehicle

Kurt
Jon,someone wants to meet you
Old 02-06-2002, 04:48 PM
kook

Where would I go to find out what a reasonable price is on these things?

Old 02-06-2002, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I looked into some Military Surplus vehicles once. In their view the vehicle was quote "not economically feasible to repair". And that about summed it up.
Old 02-06-2002, 04:55 PM
kook

This one is being offered by a guy who owns a muffler shop - said he got it from the railroad. The guarantee it'll pass inspection no problem (in MD, inspection is a real *****, but it's a 1 time deal, that's it - after that, you run 'em till they fall apart).

I have yet to see the vehicle - will take a look at it 2nite.

Old 02-06-2002, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Kook:
I don't know how much you will be towing but
these are not great tow vehicles,No power in the early diesels,no brakes,all light duty parts{brakes,cooling,etc} also the steering tends to get very loose with a load on rear,
they are not the best choice! I still have a 83 Suburban 1/2 ton extra length helps but i had to upgrade so much to tow i don,t thinck it was worth it.It never realy was great at highway speeds.
Old 02-06-2002, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Birdog is right ,the old chevys diesels were real pigs ! NO power at all ! I drove lots of them .How ever ,I know a guy that changed the cam and did a few things to it that realy made it move . I could be wrong but I think they were a small block chevy converted . If yo uknow what to do you couls get a nice 350 chevy cam for it . You should hear that baby run !But they are very light duty engines and the brakes and all that are light too . They did do pretty good on fuel though !
Old 02-06-2002, 06:54 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I did not use a Amy Surplus Blazer to pull back the Formula. It looked like it had been through a war but that was just the rust falling off . I was having trouble with my truck so I asked if I could barrow this one. About 30 min into the drive home I lost 2 cylinders as the spark plugs fould from all the oil that was blowing past the valve seals!!! It took me 4 hours to get to the boat. 3 hours to make the trailer worthy of the trip and 12 hours to get home!!! The things we do for our boats. I got home and I was so exhausted that I did not even care about the boat!!!
Old 02-06-2002, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Boot, that was the 5.7 diesel. Man, what a pig those things were Back then GM was replacing them with the 6.2 under warranty. I had a friend who was a flat rate GM guy and he must have swapped out close to 100 of those grenades Your right, they suck!
Old 02-06-2002, 09:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it has the 3.73 rear end it will pull the boat but it will be squirrely stopping. I used to pull my 23 foot cuddy with a full size Blazer and it was always an "adventure". I then bought a Suburban with the same motor and it was a fine, but a little slow on hills.

Quick Reply: OT: Tow vehicle - Army Surplus Blazer (diesel)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.