Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   coyote 32 cobra? help (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/137736-coyote-32-cobra-help.html)

dammmagnum 08-16-2006 01:27 PM

Re: coyote 32 cobra? help

Hello Roberet G,

La Tortuga just seem to disappear after that season, it had it moment of fame and disappeared.

Thank you

Jim

Chatim Racing 08-16-2006 01:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah - I guess it disappeared??? Maybe Bobby Saccenti might know as he raced her in that 1975 Benihana. There are some great pictures of "La Tortuga" on the CHIEF website...

Fast Shafts 08-16-2006 02:15 PM

Charlie,
I couldn't find any pics on Chief's website, do you have a link? Thanks
Bob G

thedonz 08-16-2006 04:26 PM

Charlie how come the decks were made like that...any specific reason or was that just their style ?

Mike

Chatim Racing 08-16-2006 05:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bob: The pics are in the section titled "Bobby Saccenti" - they are in his gallery - pg. 2.

Mike: Yes the decks are all Jean Claude's designs - euro styling I guess. The corrugated ridges in some of the decks (most notably Joel Halpern's "BEEP BEEP") were cored to save weight.

Here's an incredibly rare photo of a 36' Cobra/Coyote with outboards. JC Simon was working on this prior to the 38' Banana/Coyote he did for my dad. Similar looks again - huh?

galeforce22 08-16-2006 07:54 PM

that does look the same.. thanx chatim..wish mine had a windshield tho

Lanier Motorsport 08-16-2006 10:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I Found this pic in my stuff thought you guy's would like it The old Man O War

galeforce22 08-17-2006 06:21 AM

that is a sweet pic.old race boats are so awesome :evilb:

Bob Saccenti 08-17-2006 07:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by dammmagnum
Hello Charlie Jr,
La Tortuga won the 76 Benihana G P when all the other Open Class boats played follow the leader and miss the check point in the fog. La Tortuga was so far behind that they just ran their own race and hit every check point and won the Open Class. They finish more then a hour after the other Open Class boats were done.

I ran my P Class Magnum and saw the Open Class guys out there with their charts out on the decks of their boats trying to figure where they were, and where to go.
Back then you need a Navigator, when you had to run a offshore leg and couldn't see land.
Thanks for the great photos. Its great to see all the old race boats
Thank you
Jim

While I was reading the MSV 44 La Turtuga post, I thought that there was a little more to the story that should be told.

MSV was founded in the seventies by Sonny Miller and myself. Later on John Varese came onboard and wanted to go racing. First order of business was to load the mold with a new 44’ yellow race boat. John named his boat The La Turtuga (The Turtle).

The engine package we used was a MerCruiser 496-600 h/p that was left over from another project. Being on a limited race budget, we decided to just freshen up what we had, and hope for the best. We finally put the race package together and went offshore testing. We only were able to reach speeds in the mid to upper eighties with tired engines, not exactly what we were expecting. The good news was we could run full throttle thru most any seas we came across. At that time most of the APBA open class boats, if conditions allowed will run in the upper nineties.

We entered the Big 44 in the APBA 1975 Benihana Grand Prix in Point Pleasant.

When the flag dropped we had a good start. We where in the pack making all the check points getting our kind of water on the outer leg and getting passed on the inner leg by the smaller faster boats. This was going on for a lap or two. Suddenly I noticed that we had lost oil pressure in one engine. We back off and opened the engine hatches; the compartment was full of oil. Unfortunately a rear oil seal let loose on one of the engines. John ask, are we out of the race?? I said not yet, the engine is not making any noise, lets put oil in and continue on just to accumulate some points. A short time later the 35’Cigarette Spirit passed by with the rest of the open class in hot pursuit. With one engine questionable, we decided to take it easy for the rest of the race. We kept the engines running at mid power keeping an eye on the pressure gauge. We would stop to add oil every time the oil pressure would drop.

As we were approaching the last lap, we lost pressure again. Sonny went below deck and shouted, WE ARE OUT OF OIL!!! All we have is transmission fluid; that we kept on board for power steering and trim pumps. I said lets use it; we only have a little ways to go. By now we where very determined to finish. We went back on plan heading for the finish line. Near the end the race the photographer helicopter dropped down to our port side holding up a white paper with the number one. Putting his finger up trying to tell us that we are in first place. It was our misunderstanding and thought that they where making obscene gestures at us for being the last boat. But when we passed the finished line they waved the checkered flag. My first thought was, the Start Finish boat crew probably finished a few cases of beer waiting for us to finish and were all drunk and having fun. We pulled over to boat and asked, what’s with the flag? They told us that the Spirit race boat went around the wrong side of a buoy on the south end of the cause; all the other open boats followed him and were disqualified. That puts your boat in first place.

At the awards presentation, we were presented with the first; second and third place trophies, all the prize money, and a Rolex watch. Also Rocky invited us to have dinner at any one of his restaurants. Not too bad for a days work.

HA! I’m sorry; did I forget to mention something? We also received the Turtle Award trophy for being the last boat in.

Our official average speed was 56.9 mph / 179.3-miles.

NEVER GIVE UP

Bobby Saccenti

Fast Shafts 08-17-2006 08:09 AM

Great story Bob! A couple of question, was this your first "win"? Do you remember racing a 28 Cigarette "Super Toad" (open class II, single engine)? I believe Super Toad was leading for a short time (due to attrition) and broke a mile from the start finish line. What ever happened to Latortuga?
Thanks
Bob G.