Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Shadow cat experts please (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/137861-shadow-cat-experts-please.html)

Gladhe8er 01-22-2009 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by DocksiderP3 (Post 2783059)
Ask Me About Elbee

I imagine you ran the boat named "Docksider?" I imagine you had issues with Elbee if so...

mikefili 01-22-2009 08:38 PM

Docksider = Don Franklin (owner, driver... Bill Gazelle, sticks.}
Is P3 Docksider Don?

DocksiderP3 03-01-2009 01:12 AM

Yes it is, Don Franklin

DocksiderP3 03-01-2009 01:14 AM

And had a few issues with elbees ethics

prostock85 03-01-2009 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by DocksiderP3 (Post 2811146)

shadowcat 06-07-2009 10:01 PM

- looking to decal the side of my 1984 30ft shadowcat- did they have a crest ? or symbol? or logo? unique to them?

appreciate any ideas ?

Ted

el indio 06-08-2009 06:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by X-Rated30 (Post 1832125)
Nah - No one on this board knows anything about Shadow Cats. :D (I think you'll get your answers. :cool: )

I am interested in the lines of the boat. It looks very similar to my Spectre. Anyone know if they share any DNA? :cool:

cio.

mikefili 06-08-2009 08:01 AM

Hello Don,
I have the best memories from the Docksider Classic, do I have the name correct, it was a race you sponsered in maybe 1984? I remember somehow renting the units for the race, (Docksider was a townhouse development built by Don on the bay), we had a wonderfull time running that race, all the local teams showed up. Thanks Don for that memory, good to see you here, try to add with the facts os what I remember.

Michael Filippone
Double Vision Racing

GJL 06-08-2009 08:54 AM

Contact Ryan Beckley, has has exact replica decals.

941-758-3303 bus.

941-915-1447 cell

GJL

T2x 06-09-2009 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by DocksiderP3 (Post 2811146)

I remember seeing the Docksider boat at its first race....it was one of the first Shadow cats built after George and I left.

Prior to that I was the only one at Shadow who said "NO!"....... Elbie would say "maybe" in a few thousand words and leave everyone dangling regarding "deals" and "specs" and "delivery dates"...until I stepped in and over ruled. People who dealt with Elbie were frequently left believing that many things were agreed to but in fact were not. Among other things during the start up of Shadow I had to straighten these "misunderstandings" out, often a frustrating and needless waste of time. The people I dealt with directly were shielded from Elbie, had fewer problems and fortunately they were in the majority. However, after George and I left, many "black and white" issues became "grey" and integrity took a hike.... In fact that's why we left in the first place as a customer and Elbie tried to "wheel and deal" together around our new 36" Cat plug....so I had it destroyed.

To the point...... When I first saw Docksider (we were busy setting up Conquest at the time)...... Bill Gazelle proudly told me that he had "spec'd" the boat himself and convinced Elbie to build it significantly lighter than our dumb old laminate schedule. ( A schedule that we had updated and modified after literally thousands of test hours and a few years of racing....but what did we know?). I looked and listened and nodded and smiled and couldn't get away from the thing fast enough lest someone think that I was somehow involved with this "potato chip". You may blame Elbie...rest in peace...but he never understood or was involved in any of the design, engineering or building of the boats. He really couldn't give a solid answer because he had no basis to agree or disagree on any technical point. In short he couldn't help himself. He certainly wasn't evil, but he loved to meddle and leave doors open that should have been locked in the first place. If that boat did not live up to expectations you have to remember that too many hands were in the stew and there was no decision maker with any real understanding of the boat to step in.

In my opinion the boats and construction were fine when we departed and the standards and production techniques quickly turned into a reflection of the latest "bright idea" from the peanut gallery until the Shadow Cat became a sad relic of a once mighty tradition.

T2x