Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Shadow cat experts please (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/137861-shadow-cat-experts-please.html)

T2x 06-04-2007 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley (Post 2149978)
Was the Special Edition SHADOW a good boat??? I know when they built the Chris Cat it was a copy of JJ but how well did the Shadow run?

The Special Edition Shadow was not a great boat...because it had big blocks and was poorly balanced.

I thought Cayo Hueso was the Chris Cat.... Was it the Shadow?

My Bad...... even I get the damned things mixed up:D :D

T2x

Ryan Beckley 06-04-2007 10:36 AM

Cayo Hueso was the 3 man Shadow.... The Chris Cat was last seen as Caloosa Isle in the old C class racing out of Ft Myers.

JROMY 06-04-2007 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Gladhe8er (Post 1832351)

My dad does still have the original Black Duck restaurant....28+ years he has been open!

Great place! I live right up the street from it.

BOBCATMATHEWS 06-04-2007 03:20 PM

Special Edition/cayo

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 2149777)
The boat was hugely successful as Special Edition and was , in fact, a carbon copy hull and setup to the older Jesse James Modified Chris Cat( rigged at Lake X...Mercruiser factory power...etc). As a result it was virtually unbeatable like JJ. By the time it became Cayo Hueso it was somewhat tired and I believe the relationship with Mercury was not as strong. IN addition the newer Skater 32 teams had come about and taken over the sport.

T2x

very cool ,thanks ryan and t2x, when i get back from vacation i will upgrade my status so i can post some pics of the hull as it sits now,how far a drive is norwalk from litchfield ct.? i will be there for 8 days freezing,and is the black duck casual or upscale,(im a shorts and tee shirt guy!)thanks again bobcat:drink:

T2x 06-04-2007 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by BOBCATMATHEWS (Post 2150434)
very cool ,thanks ryan and t2x, when i get back from vacation i will upgrade my status so i can post some pics of the hull as it sits now,how far a drive is norwalk from litchfield ct.? i will be there for 8 days freezing,and is the black duck casual or upscale,(im a shorts and tee shirt guy!)thanks again bobcat:drink:

The Black Duck is VERY casual...it is a bar/restaurant built on an old barge that is aground on the riverbank in Westport Connecticut (East of Norwalk)..... Since the whole structure is leaning there are portions of the floor that could be challenging if one has had a little too much to drink...:drink:

It is 58 miles from Litchfield to Westport..... but you should also realise that Litchfield is up near the Mass. border and Westport is down along Long Island Sound and the roads in between are not the best..figure over an hours drive each way.... However the pictures of race boats and the company may be worth it.

T2x

BOBCATMATHEWS 06-04-2007 03:38 PM

the best part is as a guest, i wont have to drive!actually looking forward to the cooler weather,70s day 50s night,thanks again! bobcat

Gladhe8er 06-04-2007 03:55 PM

Hey Bobcat, as long as you have a shirt and shoes, you are more than welcome at "The Duck!" Try out one of the stuffed burgers if you go there, and read the stories on the menu and admire the pics on the wall. My dad is always chillen' at the end of the bar. Just ask for Pete. We still have a timeshare at The Galleon for race week, so I'm sure there is lots you would have in common.

T2x, back in 97 there was some heavy construction done to the barge to keep it from falling into the river. It made front page news. If you look at the structure from the water, you will see the pilings and steel I-beams holding that sucker up.

Although the race boat is long gone, my dad is having a smaller version being built right now and it should be ready in about 3 weeks...just in time for the 4th of July week.

www.blackduckcafe.net

Gladhe8er 06-04-2007 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by JROMY (Post 2150405)
Great place! I live right up the street from it.

Thanks JROMY. I'm sure I'll meet you this summer. I've met all the other guys in your group either at the Norwalk ramp or in Lake George at the poker run last year.

BOBCATMATHEWS 06-05-2007 05:12 AM

thankd ,hope to make it down there ,bobcat

TeamSaris 06-05-2007 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Shane (Post 1832911)
It was totally destroyed in the Key West World's in 1996. Last lap on Wednesday's race about 2 miles from the finish. The boat was in the lead dicing it out with KAMIKAZE a 35 Motion from Puerto Rico that was later that night found to have illegal engines. Hmmmmmmmm....... :rolleyes: Although the boat was repaired, it had lost all of it's structural integrity after the crash and was used solely for display purposes.

In rough water the 32 Skater had nothing for the 30 Shadow. However, in 1996 it ran 2.5's under 2.4 cowlings. The 2.4 cowlings had the big hole for the "snorkels" that hooked directly to the transom. But still and all, in the bumpy water the 32 Skaters just didn't have what it took.

I like the old shadow Cats but in the early and mid 90s in Pro-Stock, the 32 Skaters were almost unbeatable.