Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   60' Sport Fish goes down at the White Marlin Open. Video (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/137864-60-sport-fish-goes-down-white-marlin-open-video.html)

glassdave 08-14-2006 12:41 PM

Re: 60' Sport Fish goes down at the White Marlin Open. Video

Originally Posted by sakoutis3
There are no shallow spots in the open Atlantic and just think about the extra weight of the water. Thats no joke I wouldn't offer my boat for that tow. As long as the crew is safe who really cares about the boat. In situations like this the saving of lives is the only thing that matters.

also a boat of that size could potentially take a tow boat down with it if it were to go under while being towed. thats a shame it sank. curious what caused it

O.C.Barry 08-14-2006 12:59 PM

The last I heard is that they think they hit something.

But there is a correction, the boat did not completely sink. The bow remained sticking out of the water and on Thursday they were attaching air bags to the hull to try to refloat the boat. As far as attaching it to another boat, they actually considered tying up to two other boats as they were taking on water but were concerned that between the weight of the boat and the wave action, the other two boats could be damaged.

There was an Ocean Yacht Sport Fish (Can't be sure but I think it was either a 46 or a 55) that went down in the tournamant about ten years ago. The fiberglass weakened around one of the propshaft supports, the shaft came loose, the shaft wrapped around the other shaft and tore a rather large whole in the bottom. It went to the ocean floor rather quickly.

mr_velocity 08-14-2006 01:13 PM

Lady Anna went down a few years ago as well. She was 130' Sportfisher that was kept a few blocks from my house. There were many unsuccessful attempts to raise her.

ratman 08-14-2006 01:25 PM

my fathers 70ft hukins sport fish hit a reef in the bahamas (actually his captain was at the helm) at 15 knots. it wasted the struts, props, shafts, and tore one of the rudders off the boat leaving a foot diameter hole in the bottom. instead of watching it sink, my father sent the mate and captain into the water with some towels stuffed into a large trash bags and they plugged to hole. turned on all the bilge pumps and had in towed to a marina. its a shame they couldn't save that 60 footer it was a beautiful boat.

packinair 08-14-2006 01:55 PM

what do fisher men say "a bad day fishing beats a good day at work" :cool:

DJD 08-14-2006 01:57 PM

I just heard Dream Catcher was being towed into Cape May today. I'll see what else I can dig up.

sakoutis3 08-14-2006 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by O.C.Barry
The last I heard is that they think they hit something.

What could they hit a sub. :eek:

hpoffshore 08-14-2006 02:00 PM

No shallow water...that's why it's called "the canyon".

hpoffshore 08-14-2006 02:00 PM

And this makes #200.

Stormrider 08-14-2006 02:01 PM

Ain't no towing in from that far out w/ a boat that full of water.
I'd be interested to hear how the baloons fared.

The water is quite calm in those shots. My father did this tournament 3 years ago in 15-17ft seas. :eek: