Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sunsation crash at Grand Lake? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/137936-sunsation-crash-grand-lake.html)

onesickpantera 08-15-2006 09:31 AM

Re: Sunsation crash at Grand Lake?

This stuff makes a guy think. Chit can happen even when you're doing nothing wrong. Broken drives, exploding u-joints, failed gimbal housings, etc.

I'm half temped to hit the local home depot today. What if you Audiofn's intake hose idea one step further and put a valve with a T on the intake hose to the seawater pump. Then placed the third open-ended hose down in the back of the bilge. Then, if anything did happen you could quickly open the valve and allow the seawater pump to suck from the hose in the bilge. It would be a lot faster than crawling back there and unhooking the hose with a screwdriver when you under pressure of your boat sinking!

BY U BOY 08-15-2006 09:40 AM

I Keep A 4x4 Sheet Of Water Proof Canvas On Board. It Can Easily Be Rapped Around Something And Stuffed In A Hole. Also You Guys That Have An Anchor Shade You Can Stuff That Into Any Hole.

Marginmn 08-15-2006 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht
Beautiful boat, such a shame, glad everyone is OK

on a side not I have been off the board for the last several days, someone told me about a cat pile up in CA, I am assuming threads must of got deleted since I see no mention of it................................

Apparently, insurance companies were not aware that high performance boats sometimes wreck until people started discussing the incidents here on OSO :)

I guess some of those threads did become a feeding freenzy of speculation, but overall I think bringing incidents into the light is a good thing. In the new sanatized version of OSO, boats don't wreck, people don't go to the hospital, and no one learns from the mistakes of others.

Reckless32 08-15-2006 10:21 AM

Obviously if there was an hour involved there's more to the story than we know other than the end result.

I suspect the crew was shaken up pretty good hence the lack of McGyver -like thinking, and possibly the pumps did hold it until the batteries ran down. Not knowing the condition of the other motor or whether or not they could get it started again prevent sus from doing anything other than speculating.

What a shame a boat so well-known here on the board, ends up this way. It'll be interesting to hear the full "accurate" story of what happened and the timeline of events.

ZP\'d 08-15-2006 10:23 AM

Wasn't Dragonheart capable of speeds in excess of 100 mph plus some?

Be damn scary snapping a drive off at those speeds.....

BLee 08-15-2006 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Marginmn
I guess some of those threads did become a feeding freenzy of speculation, but overall I think bringing incidents into the light is a good thing. In the new sanatized version of OSO, boats don't wreck, people don't go to the hospital, and no one learns from the mistakes of others.

The problem is the majority of the threads turn into a bunch of people whining about their insurance rates and how stupid someone must be to have an accident. Basically kicking the hell out of someone who's already down. Everyone on OSO is a perfect boater, so what could you possibly learn from someone elses mistake?

Reckless32 08-15-2006 10:31 AM

I agree 100% BLee. Self-righteousness has no place in the real world.

Fountain38 08-15-2006 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by ZP'd
Wasn't Dragonheart capable of speeds in excess of 100 mph plus some?

Be damn scary snapping a drive off at those speeds.....

Bob Teague tested DragonHeart at something like 104 give or take a mile an hour---

Sydwayz 08-15-2006 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by BLee
The problem is the majority of the threads turn into a bunch of people whining about their insurance rates and how stupid someone must be to have an accident. Basically kicking the hell out of someone who's already down. Everyone on OSO is a perfect boater, so what could you possibly learn from someone elses mistake?

Plain old accidents... yeah, no reason to beat a dead horse.

BUT, if you do something stupid; (i.e. lack-o-lanyards, drinking; totally irresponsible operation); I don't think there is anything wrong by pointing out the mistakes so that no one else repeats. I don't see a reason that everyone needs to repeat the same mistakes.

Chris Sunkin 08-15-2006 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Reckless32
I suspect the crew was shaken up pretty good hence the lack of McGyver -like thinking, .

You bring up an exceptionally good point- virtually no one thinks clearly in unfamiliar circumstances. That's why in professions where it counts, professionals train on all the likely scenarios and some of the not-so-likely ones. When an engine falls off an airliner, the pilot usually has had some training on what to do.

Unfortunately, many people view boating as a purely recreational activity. Lots of folks hit the water with equipment deficiencies and absolutely no skills or training to address them. It can be pretty entertaining watching folks sink their boats at launch ramps.