Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Best Product to clean Stainless props, rams, tie bar,etc? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/138036-best-product-clean-stainless-props-rams-tie-bar-etc.html)

Buddy OO 08-15-2006 08:56 PM

Best Product to clean Stainless props, rams, tie bar,etc?

trying to get buildup of grim off steering rams, tie bar, stainless props, have tried works,, on/off, mean green, orange cleaner, scrubbed and cant get off. what pad and product will sparkle the stainless,

C_Spray 08-15-2006 09:06 PM

Re: Best Product to clean Stainless props, rams, tie bar,etc?

Muriatic acid (swimming pool store) followed immediately by a fresh water rinse and a coat of Mobil One spray or other anti-corrosion spray. (WD-40 does not inhibit corrosion - read the can.) Works like magic, but use it OUTSIDE and do NOT get a whiff of it (chlorine gas).

cuda 08-15-2006 09:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just bought some Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish, then some Mother's Power Metal and used it yesterday. It made the 24 year old chrome engine vents shine a whole lot better. I have the feeling, the more times I apply it, it will look better and better. I got the idea from a friend of mine who used it on the aluminum trailer of his 22 Donzi, and I swear his trailer looked like polished stainless steel. :D Worth a try I'd say.

cuda 08-15-2006 09:12 PM

I've found PB Blaster and a scotch brite to work pretty well to remove any light surface rust. Then polish and wax it.

Wash Pro 08-15-2006 09:17 PM

I have my own line of chemicals.
Quick-shot is what we use.

Give me a call and I'll send you some.
1-877-WASHPRO

Magicfloat 08-15-2006 09:27 PM

I agree with C-Spray,muratic acid at Home Depot or Lowes. Used it for years,cheap and easy.

Lucididee 08-15-2006 09:33 PM

Your gonna laugh.... but try Easy Off Oven cleaner. It work miracles on props.

MrCIG 08-15-2006 09:47 PM

I use Lime Away in the green bottle it works great spray it on wipe it with a rag and rinse it off. Will not scratch

Mark

keeponplanewayne 08-15-2006 10:06 PM

sno bowl works pretty good as well and it wont burn a hole in your driveway

Jupiter Sunsation 08-15-2006 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Muriatic acid (swimming pool store) followed immediately by a fresh water rinse and a coat of Mobil One spray or other anti-corrosion spray. (WD-40 does not inhibit corrosion - read the can.) Works like magic, but use it OUTSIDE and do NOT get a whiff of it (chlorine gas).

You will never get chlorine gas from muriatic acid. Chlorine gas comes from chlorine, acid fumes come from muriatic/ sulfuric acid. To kill fumes add a capful of tile soap and the fumes will not be as heavy. Remember sodium bicarbonate (good ol' baking soda) neutralizes the acid in the event of a spill.

Any type of fiberglass cleaner/ hull cleaner that is acid based will make props/ tie bars shine like new and are less caustic than muriatic/sulfuric acid.