Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boat number doesn't match the state? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/138241-boat-number-doesnt-match-state.html)

Wooderson 08-18-2006 12:07 AM

Boat number doesn't match the state?

Hello, and HELP!

I'm looking at purchasing a boat owned by a private individual that lives in Kansas, and has lived there for several years. I'm set to take a trip and go check it over in a day or so before we finalize a sale.

I just noticed from the photos he's sent me that the assigned boat number on the side is a Colorado number: CL 1406 FX. It also appears that the registration sticker is probably for Colorado too. It's a 2006 sticker.

Is there any logical reason for this to be this way? I'm assuming that if he has been registering it in the state of Kansas that he would have a "KA xxxxx" number as the Kansas Dept of Parks website shows.

He states that he purchased this boat several years ago from someone in Texas.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

David 08-18-2006 06:55 AM

Re: Boat number doesn't match the state?

People register boats in different states for different reasons. My main concern would be the title/ registration matches the HIN on the boat, and the seller is the named owner on the title/ registration, and paperwork is current.

Pantera1 08-18-2006 07:20 AM

Sounds like maybe he uses and registers the boat in Kansas ..LOTO ?
You can check a VIN for problems here
http://cgmix.uscg.mil/PSIX/VesselSearch.aspx

CAP071 08-18-2006 07:23 AM

Probably nothing to worry about. I see lots boats in the PA and Nj area with DEL reg. due to the the NO tax on DEL reg's

Just make sure you check the Hull ID # and Title # like stated above

Wooderson 08-18-2006 07:35 AM

Well, I don't have the HID number yet, but I'm going to try and call the Colorado Parks dept. this morning and see if they can tell me the registered owner from the boat number. I'll call them again once I get the HID number myself when I see it.

This guy has a lein on this boat too, so I don't think I'll be able to see the actual title though.

My plan is to look at the boat tomorrow (Saturday) to make sure everything seems to check out. Then I'm going to wait until Monday morning to call the Colorado Parks dept. back to run the HID to make sure it's legit. After that I'll go to the bank with the guy and pay off his loan for him, the bank can refund him the remainder of the money, and try and get a lein release from the bank. Also a notorized bill of sale for the boat and another notorized bill of sale for the trailer.

This guy called his bank and told me the bank holds the title, but after the lein is released they send it to the county for "processing" and then the title gets mailed back to him, then he signs it and mails it to me.

Anyone know if that sounds correct for Kansas? I'd like to tell the bank to send the title to me directly, but if they really do have to send it to the county first, I'm not sure that is going to be possible.

??

Von Bongo 08-18-2006 08:44 AM

If the boat has a title which many small boats don't. The bank can sign off on the lien and then he can sign it over to you on the spot. It does not have to go to the county first.

You may call the bank and set a time to pay off the loan and pick up the title. Some banks keep titles at a central location, depending on thier size and you may not be able to walk in and pick it up.

If the bank insists on sending it to the county see of you can give them an application for new title to send with it changing it to your name so it gets changed over and then sent to you.

The reason the bank wants to send it to the county is because people tend to not take the title down and have the lien released. Then 3 years later sell it, can't find the title and the bank has to do another release of lien.

KCHOTBOAT 08-18-2006 09:07 AM

Alot of people in Kansas go to other states for numbers because of kansas boat taxes. Also Kansas is a non title state on boats.

Wooderson 08-18-2006 12:33 PM

Wow... I'm getting a little confused now.

I called the Colorado Parks dept. and checked on it. He is the owner on record for that boat number. She confirmed he had a Kansas address too. So that appears good so far.

He states he received a title from the previous owner in Texas. Assuming he did get a title from the previous owner, if he registered it in Colorado (which he did) could it be titled there too?

Sorry if that's a dumb question. I'm a noob to this, but I don't want to end up as a statistic.

I guess I need to check with my states DMV to see what I need to produce (worst case) to get it titled if there really is no title for this... which it looks like Kansas is one of those states.

David 08-18-2006 01:08 PM

Colorado and Kansas don't have a title for boats. Texas does.
Boat Title States

ckentling 08-18-2006 01:47 PM

most every boater I know takes their boat to Oklahoma (OK) or Colorado (CL) for their numbers, Kansas taxes the :eek: out fo you on boats.

Kansas has titles on the trailer, but bill of sale on the boat.

the owner was just trying to save some $$$$