Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   4 boats crash in Ca. and no one on OSO starts a thread??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/138243-4-boats-crash-ca-no-one-oso-starts-thread.html)

Cash Bar 08-18-2006 12:43 PM

Re: 4 boats crash in Ca. and no one on OSO starts a thread???

Arrests? :eek:

For what, I hope not BWI or the like....... :(

ratman 08-18-2006 12:47 PM

This case is under investigation and arrests have been made. Until it all clears it'll all be speculation.
what was the arrest for stupidity?

DoTheMath 08-18-2006 12:48 PM

Re: 4 Cats crash in Ca. and no one on OSO starts a thread???

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by thisistank
I would stay out of this but part of this is untrue and rumors like this are what is the problem here.

The first part of your post is true. There were mechanical issues that may have been known about by the owner prior to the run.

The second part of the first paragraph is absolutely not true. The safety drirector never said the boat would be fine to run like that.

There are photo's from the air and a video. However, they will not be posted on here or anywhere else.

This case is under investigation and arrests have been made. Until it all clears it'll all be speculation.

That about sums it up Tank. I was going to stay out of this too but I hate to see rumors spread - esp. when they are not true. I have a good friend that was on that run, (he is in this picture) and was right behind the accident as it went down, he watched the whole thing. For the most part the stories (rumors) and the truth are different... it will all come out in the end as to what really happened. Just glad everyone was ok that was invloved.

thisistank 08-18-2006 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by ratman
what was the arrest for stupidity?

Close....Gross negligence and hit and run.

Chris Sunkin 08-18-2006 01:03 PM

The safety drirector never said the boat would be fine to run like that. .

How did the boat end up running if it didn't pass inspection?

It seems unusual at best that arrests are beiung made for accidental property damage- especially considering this was a controlled motorsports event will all registered participants involved.

There seems to be alot more to this story....

Dean Ferry 08-18-2006 01:58 PM

WOW, arrests for hit and run and gross neg!? :eek:
Man, somebody is going to be in the hurt locker! :rolleyes:
Dean

Schweeng 08-18-2006 02:12 PM

I was there....

I heard the arrest was for D.U.I.....10:00am....how do you like that.

I heard the Arneson drive takes 8 bolts to attach. Only 6 could be used on THIS 30' Skater. Of the 6 used, 4 had some issues/cracks. I heard the guys running the Skater were told a few days earlier they should not run the boat. Obviously, they did....

I don't think I will run hard again in a poker run. It's not worth it.

thisistank 08-18-2006 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
How did the boat end up running if it didn't pass inspection?

It seems unusual at best that arrests are beiung made for accidental property damage- especially considering this was a controlled motorsports event will all registered participants involved.

There seems to be alot more to this story....

Like most poker runs...Boats are not safety inspected like a race. "Safety Director" refers to insuring rules and regs are followed that are outlined by promoters and mostly insuring boats follow no wake zones and an outlined course for the run.

You say "Accidental"...That is what's in question.
And if you are involved in a wreck you need to stay at the scene until authorities arrive unless exigent circumstances exist.

No conspiracy here. Not much more to the story except the finite details.

thisistank 08-18-2006 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Schweeng
I was there....

I heard the Arneson drive takes 8 bolts to attach. Only 6 could be used on THIS 30' Skater. Of the 6 used, 4 had some issues/cracks. I heard the guys running the Skater were told a few days earlier they should not run the boat. Obviously, they did....

There's the story in a nut shell. And pretty correct.

Dean Ferry 08-18-2006 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Schweeng
I was there....

Chris,
What were you riding in? Didn't you sell your 388 awhile ago?
Glad you to hear you weren't involved! I hear ya too about not running up front, pedal to the metal, it's just not worth it! :rolleyes: I just went for a 187 MPH ride in the Callan C50 a couple of weeks ago, and that was with Lake Monroe just about all to ourselves! :cool: Even then, it was very INTENSE! :cool:
Dean