Notices

What would you do

Old 08-21-2006, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: What would you do

when he bought the boat did he leak the motors? if so how were the #s? to buy a boat without testing the machinery is insane........when buying a used boat....send gear lube to a lab......leak down test on motors....if power passed tests operater fault could be your answer.......
Old 08-21-2006, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark, it sounds like you have made your mind up and you are going well beyond anything normal here, I have been screwed by every person I have bought a go fast from, thats why I am done unless I can buy new, in my case no one stepped up and these were well know problems that were masked to look good but failed later. Like said, he is now a performance boat owner and better plan on the other motor going and drives going, not because they were abused but because he is a rookie and has no clue to what kind of stress these items see. Whats next with this guy???? Drives? Ginbals? Steering? You better make it clear this is it, he is on his own and that if he so much as nicks a prop he better not come crying back. This just proves his rookieness, to even ask for this to be covered by you is very bold, you could never have seen this and I bet 100% that this is driver error and he was all geeked up after watching Miami Vise and thought he could launch this..difference is these stunt drivers, and yourself, knows when to back off....like when the tach hits 7000rpm in mid air. You are a good person, just don't let him take advantage of this, he has no leg to stand on.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchStellin
This just proves his rookieness, to even ask for this to be covered by you is very bold,
I agree with Mitch 100%. I have purchased "as-is" and all sorts of things have gone wrong. Well, guess what, I fixed 'em,,,,, at my own cost.

I knew what I was getting into. I checked all the equipment out to my satisfaction before I bought it. It went south, too bad, I gotta fix it. I never gave it a thought to call the seller and "cry" about it. It's part of the game. You do your best to make a good deal and to buy good stuff but, you just never know short of a complete tear-down.

If you're going to help this guy out, that is a very cool thing. But, you need to keep in mind that this "nice guy" and his "nice girl friend" are still strangers to you.

I don't know you but I somehow want to believe that you wouldn't sell a time bomb knowing the clock was one boat ride away from detonation. I wouldn't do that either. But there is another thing you don't know (as others here have said), what was this guy doing to the boat when it blew. He is a rookie, that's enough justification not to do anything.

Caveat emptor baby!!
Webster's definition: "Without a warranty, the buyer takes the risk of quality upon himself"

No fair crying about broken toys.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by OldSchool
Nice thread. It's threads like these where we really get to know who the scumbags are on OSO!!!
Exactly my thoughts....lmao
Old 08-21-2006, 03:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by OldSchool
Nice thread. It's threads like these where we really get to know who the scumbags are on OSO!!!
That's just plain un-called for. Taking the position that you're not gonna give this poor SOB anything doesn't make you a "scumbag". The deal was done. The deal was "as-is". The buyer needs to lick his wounds and get on with it.

Have you considered that maybe the buyer is the "scumbag"? Some manipulative actor, crying and whining about his misfortune? Are we even certain that the photos shown are of the actual motor??????? Ever consider that one?????? Maybe this buyer is trying to scam a cool grand for gas.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I personally would never have called and asked for $$$. I would have asked about prior work that had been done, or try and figure out something that could clue me in on what lead to the problem, thinking it might be about to happen on the other engine. The fact that you have offered $1K or even more based on some of the other posts I've read is a bit on the extraordinary side if you ask me. I would still be happy to have bought the boat from you based on that too. It's a pretty generous move and should be seen that way ---not an admission of guilt in any way. Tough situation though. Hope it gets resolved amicably.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Marc, tough spot! I'm sure U will come up w/ the right answer. Good Luck, Tracy
Old 08-21-2006, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess that makes me a scumbag ..
Old 08-21-2006, 06:09 PM
Registered

I called his mechanic and asked for a breakdown of the money he is proposing to charge I have not got the fax yet

The god news is buyer has said he is going through other engine at the same time

Hopfully this stops any future problem with the other motor (for a while )
Old 08-21-2006, 07:23 PM
Registered

First, I would establish very clearly, politely, but clearly, I had no legal liability, because it was a transaction for a used boat, with no warranty expressed or implied.

Second I would split the cost of the repair with an understanding that is it, no one likes to give up money, but if you were on the receiving end that would at least fel like you were getting cooperation from seller.

Posturing is important, jump the gun with an offer of half and you are a SOB for selling junk, work through it and finally come to terms of paying half and you are a stand up guy who wants to cooperate.

No matter what, I would ask "how am I going to feel tomorow morning", if I can live with myself, that is what I would do. There is a consiquence for how you handle this, I am not sure what it is, but if it just comes down to your wallet being a slight bit lighter, well, we can all live with that for a bit...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.