Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Re: First performance boat

Originally Posted by Magic Medicine
I hope you don't believe that speeds you read in Hot Boat
Old 08-19-2006, 11:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive got a fever for sale with 120hrs 1999 .....would love to sink my teeth into a 38'
Old 08-20-2006, 12:51 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LostinBoston
I know when I think og entry level performance boat, i think of 548" supercharged engine and a confined cockpit I cant manuver around in incase i need to jump up and get some dock lines.

Out of your list, i like the formula. also check out Donzi, ZR and ZX. Single 496 would be a good starting engine package, and has a long warranty which will help with a fast resale in a year or 2 when you want to step up to something bigger and faster.

Where are you boating? Ocean? lake, s. fl. Need room for family/friends? Do you need a cabin? or would an open bow be better so you can cruise to shooters with a bunch of friends?
he mentions speed several times in his first post and willing to compromise on things for speed, the other boats listed are not very high perf or that fast, unless you consider 60 couple miles per hour haulin azz. teh activators seem to be very well made boats have a racing heritage and do very well in pretty big water but is still a single which will be much less costly to run than a twin. he could always de tune the blower motors or convert it o n/a and still have a bad azz ride way under his budget. just my .02. i suggest he ride in some of those boats he listed and see if he will be content with mid 60's for top end then go ride in that activator, i bet he buys it. rm
Old 08-20-2006, 03:31 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

First ????? Are planning on buying new???????? I would hope so for 100k and the sizes you are looking at.

There are a lot of 2-3 year old boats out there that have already took there big depreciation hits. You will get a lot more boat for less money and won't take nearly as much of a hit when you sell/trade later.

As far as brands/size, I would scrap the 27 Fountain. It is small. At least look at a 29's instead. The other boats mentioned by everyone are much nicer and will ride better than the the ones on your list.

Last edited by Griff; 08-20-2006 at 03:33 AM.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew I get a lot of information piling in - again, much appreciated. At this point I feel like a used, low-hour find would be a good way to go...in terms of money usage. Also, I've been turned on to a couple of more boats...the Active + I just took a ride in a Sunsation 288 w/ 502. $100K was kinda the pain threshold; I've seen some boats of interest in the $50K-$75K range used...single 496-types.

Why do you boat? That will make a difference on what you consider good handling. Small lake of river, big lake, or ocean/great lakes? ---- good point...I didn't mention that most of the boating will be a local Bay & rivers...

Thanks to all for the information to this point...and for the IM w/ the catchy title.

Closing question: How do I safely buy a used performance boat?

JEFF
Old 08-20-2006, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pearl_tyme
I knew I get a lot of information piling in - again, much appreciated. At this point I feel like a used, low-hour find would be a good way to go...in terms of money usage. Also, I've been turned on to a couple of more boats...the Active + I just took a ride in a Sunsation 288 w/ 502. $100K was kinda the pain threshold; I've seen some boats of interest in the $50K-$75K range used...single 496-types.

Why do you boat? That will make a difference on what you consider good handling. Small lake of river, big lake, or ocean/great lakes? ---- good point...I didn't mention that most of the boating will be a local Bay & rivers...

Thanks to all for the information to this point...and for the IM w/ the catchy title.

Closing question: How do I safely buy a used performance boat?

JEFF
HAVE IT SURVEYED
Old 08-20-2006, 09:58 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

There is an 2007 29 Velocity SC for sale in the ads for under your budget!
Old 08-20-2006, 11:01 AM
Registered

looked at them all. drove them all. the 28 active thunder is by far the best way to go. handling, performance, freeboard, cabin size, and is a true 28 ft boat that rides like its a much bigger than it is. I love mine.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:55 PM
Registered

My Nordic does 78 gps with a 525
Maybe they don't know how to drive it.
I haven't come across a formula - fountain 27 - donzi or velecoty that can out run me with similar power. But those activators are pretty fast.

Quick Reply: First performance boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.