Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
The boater that hit the greenport jetty... >

The boater that hit the greenport jetty...

Notices

The boater that hit the greenport jetty...

Old 10-01-2006, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: The boater that hit the greenport jetty...

Originally Posted by louietherigger
It was in fact the nite JFK Jr. crashed into the Sound a few miles away also a tragic accident.
Accident? I thought it was a Clinton conspiracy to get Hillary the senate seat he would have won if they hadn't found a way to get him not to run!
Old 10-01-2006, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks,

I am probably the leading accident investigator over here for small and fast craft accidents.

If the driver is proven clear on a police breathaliser test, then that is that.

If I were the driver, I would be addressing accusations of drunk driving made against me by the police, the media or posters in forums through my legal representative !

If there is a history of collisions with the jetty because of poor nav mark lighting then the relevant authorites should take heed and address the issue. Over here, an acident report citing this a cause factor woyld result in immediate action by the relevant authorities.

Having said that, surely a properly prepared passage plan would have led the skipper of the craft to expect a major obstacle such as a pier whether lit or not and to drive at an appropriate speed and degree of caution in the vicnity?

If in doubt, stop and check !

Every accident that you walk away from should be considered a learning experience !

Kind regards,

Stuart

Last edited by powerboat.org; 10-01-2006 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by louietherigger
It was in fact the nite JFK Jr. crashed into the Sound a few miles away also a tragic accident..
Was thinking JFK after reading Cigdaze's post. Arrived late at an un-known in the mountains, no tower and dusk mixed with forest fires in the area made for an interesting experience that almost taught me night flying the hard way............
Old 10-02-2006, 08:08 PM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by powerboat.org
Hi folks,

I am probably the leading accident investigator over here for small and fast craft accidents.

If the driver is proven clear on a police breathaliser test, then that is that.

If I were the driver, I would be addressing accusations of drunk driving made against me by the police, the media or posters in forums through my legal representative !

If there is a history of collisions with the jetty because of poor nav mark lighting then the relevant authorites should take heed and address the issue. Over here, an acident report citing this a cause factor woyld result in immediate action by the relevant authorities.

Having said that, surely a properly prepared passage plan would have led the skipper of the craft to expect a major obstacle such as a pier whether lit or not and to drive at an appropriate speed and degree of caution in the vicnity?

If in doubt, stop and check !

Every accident that you walk away from should be considered a learning experience !

Kind regards,

Stuart
Hi Stuart,
Since you have the most credentials reguarding this thread I have to agree with you. Though the authorities don't always rush to change or mark a hazard. Sag Harbor, L.I. N.Y. had channels markers set up to run unsuspecting boaters into a submerger rock pile. Only after repeated calls to the coast guard division of navigational adds and a state senator did they repent. Meanwhile a local crooked marina and harbor master lined there pockets. Almost sounds like piracy.

Had a few learning experience's
Louie