Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
The boater that hit the greenport jetty... >

The boater that hit the greenport jetty...

Notices

The boater that hit the greenport jetty...

Old 08-19-2006, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The boater that hit the greenport jetty...

FYI... if you were to ever get pulled over in Southold, it is already assumed that you are drunk.

I was a passenger on the boat that hit the Greenport jetty on July 29. Long story short, after eating a quick meal at Claudio's and calling it an early night to head back home to CT, the 31ft Fountain that myself and 4 other people were on hit the 1500ft rock jetty. It was a terrible accident but could have been worse.

Despite the false, obnixious statements made by the press, the driver was not drinking, and that was proven so when his toxicity report showed his BAC as 0.0. Why would the papers print such false reports? Because the driver immediately received a BWI based on the assumption of the Southold Police. Thats right, it was the "assumption" of the Southold police that was printed in 2 or more newspapers and started numerous rumors. If the jetty was properly lit, then 1 of the 5 of us who were looking ahead to help the driver navigate would have seen it. But the dim red light at the very tip of the jetty was obviously not adequate, as it can easily be confused as a channel marker or even another boat.

I have somewhat read your posts and very much appreciate your concerns. I am grateful that not everybody jumped to conclusions like the press and the Southold police.

All five passengers are home and recovering well.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:59 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Default Re: The boater that hit the greenport jetty...

Glad to hear that all are home and recovering well. It is ridiculous how the papers and news twist stories around for profit. They should be sued. They should be forced to run the real story now that the truth is out.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:26 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 850 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by checkmate454mag
They should be sued. They should be forced to run the real story now that the truth is out.
Damn right!!!

Glad you're all ok, and that the driver had the good sense to not drink.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:00 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Just goes to prove that there are just "plain ole silly accidents" in a powerboat, and not just the drunken ones.

Glad to hear everyone made it home. Good luck...!
Old 08-20-2006, 08:49 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad everyone is OK,

a couple of cheap handheld Million candlepower spotlights should be essential equipment for those that insist on operating a boat on a dark night.

Thanks for setting the record straight
Old 08-20-2006, 09:09 AM
Registered

Sorry to jump on the band wagon. Just following what you would think is accurate reporting in the paper.

The jetty is definately not lit properly.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:53 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Pure Energy
Sorry to jump on the band wagon. Just following what you would think is accurate reporting in the paper.

The jetty is definately not lit properly.
Probably not, but I bet it shows up nice and bright on a GPS with the correct marine chart
Old 08-20-2006, 11:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by checkmate454mag
Glad to hear that all are home and recovering well. It is ridiculous how the papers and news twist stories around for profit. They should be sued. They should be forced to run the real story now that the truth is out.
A retraction and a new story in print as well as going after the Southold Police Dept for providing false information to the press as well.

...and the jetty......very poorly lit......The Southold PD should focus on correcting that issue instead of hassling decent boaters in the area
Old 08-20-2006, 07:08 PM
Registered

If the operator was not drinking how do you explain hitting the Jetty in the first place. That Jetty has been there for ever. How could you not see it. And secondly how do you explain the cooler of beers in the boat. If the driver was not drinking it was some huge mistake for him not to see the Big Rock Jetty in front of him. Are you trying to tell us that he was just operating the vessel blatenly stupid. That is no execuse either!!

Last edited by Titan; 08-21-2006 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
Probably not, but I bet it shows up nice and bright on a GPS with the correct marine chart
Not to take away from the seriousness of the accident, But, I was thinking the same thing.

Quick Reply: The boater that hit the greenport jetty...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.