Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why do Fountains ride so good... >

Why do Fountains ride so good...

Notices

Why do Fountains ride so good...

Old 08-22-2006, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Why do Fountains ride so good...

Originally Posted by Dave M
OHHHH, this oughta be good.
popcorns comin
Old 08-22-2006, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Popcorn anyone...

Yes, the Great lakes get nasty, and fast. I grew up on Erie, and witnessed some pretty big water, and yes it would kick up in thirty minutes - if you were out, and saw something coming from the North - North East, better be moving quick to get in.
I have some, but not much experience in the Gulf of Mex, but I would imagine it get's just as rough or not rougher (depending on how far you go out to play), but likely doesn't kick up as quick.
The inland lakes always have the washboard effect - the great lakes have a similar effect, but it's over a wider range.
No experience in the ocean, but from everything I've heard described, it sounds similar to the Gulf.

The Great Lakes are still Offshore in my book.
And as far as "the boring mid-west" - PIB, Key West of the North.
Nuff said.

As far as the Beak running good - experienced driver, good set-up, good read of the waves, sure, good run.
Maybe some of the old tanks are a little more forgiving, or a little more user friendly - causing less work from the captain.
Lighter layups, and exotic hull designs - you have to be a little more careful on how you run - the old heavy wave crushers will run through anything with less effort from the driver.

I can't believe I just threw my hat in this ring....

Go ahead boys...Toe the line...
Old 08-22-2006, 05:29 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
My Water is Rougher than Your Water, and My Dad can Beat up Your DAD
Forgot this one.
"Your water is more corrosive than my water."
Old 08-22-2006, 05:41 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Back4More
in "on coming" seas?
We came home from the Chicago Air and Water show on Saturday and were greeted by a stiff north wind and building seas to 3-5'
The tabs were set at halfway and she just motored through those suckas...we parked a 38' F****** on the way back.
We smoked a F***tain on the way from Long beach to Newport beach in Norts Formula so I guess we are back to square one
Old 08-22-2006, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

fountain,cig or apache. lake michigan is a great place to test your skills. the water always changes.
todd
Old 08-22-2006, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
The Gulf of Mexico is not an ocean it is a millpond.I have spent thousands of hours on the gulf and 20 years cruising all over the great lakes and I have never seen anything on the Gulf short of a hurricane that would compare to some of the weather i have seen on the great lakes.I know you have all heard the old story of lake michigan going from dead calm to 12 footers in 30 minutes from some old salt but i have witnessed it and i have never seen that phenonom on the gulf of mexico.I can,t comment on the Alantic or the Pacific but I beleive those our some serious bodies of water also.

Well put my friend! Wait until this years Chi town poker run DVD comes out and watch what it is like running in the lake! I know many of you will be suprised.

My dad was the card boat in Michigan City the first stop of the run. Let me put it like this, my brother 22 years old been on the lake since an infant, " Dad this was the only time I have every been scared with you driving the boat". The boat was a 36' cabin cruiser. It was too rough to anchor and they were behind a break wall.

For the record, less than a 1/3 of the boats made it too the first stop Gatorone in his 47 OL was the first to the stop and a 47' Fountain was number too! Ask them how rough the lake was!
Old 08-22-2006, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
I was on the "Lake" in my lake boat that day as well. I can tell you Lake Michigan at 22,300 square miles can be some of the roughest, hardest to read waters in the world. I would love to be on the ocean instead. At least on the ocean the waves are all the same with no holes to drop in like the this little lake we boat on. It seems about every 25th wave is a rogue that looks like a wall of water coming at you with a very large hole behind it and another two waves behind almost as large. It is very tough to maintain a steady speed. You start to get confident thinking there just can not be more of those tidal waves coming and you start to build up speed and then another big one comes along.

C'mon ya killing me.
Attached Thumbnails Why do Fountains ride so good...-big-waves.jpg   Why do Fountains ride so good...-bigseas3.jpg   Why do Fountains ride so good...-bigseas4.jpg  

Old 08-22-2006, 07:06 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
The Gulf of Mexico is not an ocean it is a millpond.I have spent thousands of hours on the gulf and 20 years cruising all over the great lakes and I have never seen anything on the Gulf short of a hurricane that would compare to some of the weather i have seen on the great lakes.I know you have all heard the old story of lake michigan going from dead calm to 12 footers in 30 minutes from some old salt but i have witnessed it and i have never seen that phenonom on the gulf of mexico.I can,t comment on the Alantic or the Pacific but I beleive those our some serious bodies of water also.

Amen to that. born and raised here on the great lakes and we have what is commonly called the washing machine chop. you get to a point where you can read sections of the lake and come to know what to expect. but as far as reading the immediate water it gets very difficult. almost impossible to get into any kind of a rhythm for more than a very short time. when it gets ugly it is usually very steep waves that are very close together. our average span here on Erie is only about 26 feet. i've raced in the ocean and raced in the great lakes. gimmie the ocean any day (oh who the heck am i kid'n . . . l'll race any where any time )
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 08-22-2006, 07:19 PM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Magic Medicine
Well put my friend! Wait until this years Chi town poker run DVD comes out and watch what it is like running in the lake! I know many of you will be suprised.

My dad was the card boat in Michigan City the first stop of the run. Let me put it like this, my brother 22 years old been on the lake since an infant, " Dad this was the only time I have every been scared with you driving the boat". The boat was a 36' cabin cruiser. It was too rough to anchor and they were behind a break wall.

For the record, less than a 1/3 of the boats made it too the first stop Gatorone in his 47 OL was the first to the stop and a 47' Fountain was number too! Ask them how rough the lake was!
Of that 1/3 how many where Fountains I know of 4 total that make the 1st card stop....BZ
Old 08-22-2006, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Zubik
Of that 1/3 how many where Fountains I know of 4 total that make the 1st card stop....BZ

I think four is way low. Lets see what I remember , I was not on the boat I was in East Chicago with my Checkmate because it was too rough!

1. 47 fountain unknown
2. 42 fountain BZ
3. 42 fountain Downtown42
4. 47 fountain Reggie
5. Frankie in one of shogrens boat
6-8,9 the rest of shogrens boats???

Quick Reply: Why do Fountains ride so good...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.