Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Team owners owning sanctioning bodies >

Team owners owning sanctioning bodies

Notices

Team owners owning sanctioning bodies

Old 01-09-2002, 07:19 PM

Post Team owners owning sanctioning bodies

I just read in the latest issue of Southern Boating (I was in the doctor's office, I swear) and I saw how Bill Seebold was trying to buy the HydroPROP tour. Does anyone else see a problem with race team owners also owning the sanctioning body?

Old 01-09-2002, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there are a few racers that are a part of the APBA Offshore LLC...the Nemschoffs (sp?), Nigel Hook, etc...
Old 01-09-2002, 07:42 PM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This could get interesting.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΈ!
Old 01-09-2002, 08:24 PM

Well, Bob, I thought it would, too, but so far, no good.

I guess the majority would rather bash supercrash on the manatee thread.

Old 01-09-2002, 08:37 PM
Pier

Boatwrecker,

The perception of conflict of interest, if not the reality of it, is unavoidable. Owning a race team and all or part of a racing circuit is problematic at best.

Old 01-09-2002, 08:53 PM

Here's a for example:

If there is no problem with APBA Offshore LLC partners racing in same, how is it that part-owner Mark Nemschoff's Tommy Bahama is the only boat allowed to run straight shafts and not the required No. 6 drives?

I don't know. I'm just asking, but it seems kind of fishy to me.

Old 01-09-2002, 08:55 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

owning a race team and being part of a sanctionign body is ok. A problem would arise if say a manufacturer was part of a sanctioning body. UNLESS it was a 1 design style calss (like the batboats) Then its cool. 1 type of boat for all racers really puts more emphasis on driver and boat setup as opposed to boat design and who can pay more for development research.
Old 01-09-2002, 09:43 PM
Pier

Too Old,

Obviously from my earlier post I agree with you. The problem, though, in a world as relatively small as powerboat racing, is that circuit ownership is likely to come from within the ranks. It's not as though the leaders of NASCAR, Cart and IRL are looking at powerboat racing and saying, "Hey, that's something we've got to have." The appeal is too limited.

But despite the inherent conflict of interest, I don't know, I still give credit to the owner/racers (Bernie Little-former tour owner, Nigel Hook, Mark Nemschoff, etc.) At least they're trying.

Old 01-09-2002, 10:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boatwrecker
I can understand your argument, but it doesn't work. The Tommy Bahama boat was built before the class went to the #6 drive rule, and there are a few other non Mercury drive boats that have been Grandfathered in. Also the Nemschoff's where actually D-Qd at a race for having a switch to tturn their revlimiters off. The said that they never used it, and the data was not conclusive but it was against the rules and they where disqualfied. Doesn't sound like favorites to me.
Old 01-10-2002, 12:49 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

a switch to turn them off??? HMMMM why woudl anyone need one of those? doens't seem to be any legitimate reason for it????

Quick Reply: Team owners owning sanctioning bodies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.