Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Just bought a boat storage and maintenance business (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/138657-just-bought-boat-storage-maintenance-business.html)

Dredgeking 08-23-2006 04:26 PM

Re: Just bought a boat storage and maintenance business

I am in Cheboygan. We have minimal heated storage at this time. It was not something the previous owner pursued. We may look at it when we expand our facilties on the river.

Lmarth 08-23-2006 05:48 PM

Up here on Lake Ontario, I've been paying between $25 and $30 dollars per linear foot the past five -six years for clean, safe, heated storage for my Slingshot. I've been fortunate that all three outfits I've rented from have allowed me to work on the boat any time I wanted to. For what it's worth....

CcanDo 08-23-2006 06:31 PM

If you know the SIC#'s (standard industry code) the business will be operating under,I can probably come up with the Financial Ratio Benchmark, others with the same SIC #,have reported....The range is from small to large operating statements.

For example, the SIC# for boat storage is probably SIC# 4226.

Net cash flow to sales, ranges from 4.5 to 14.1%,subject to volume.

baronmarine 08-23-2006 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Nykamp
I believe heated storage here in Grand Haven is $5.95 a sq. foot. Where is your place located?

steve i hope thats not your price this year.
todd

Nykamp 08-23-2006 10:10 PM

Todd, I should be able to take care of you at my sweet spot, I'll know soon. Steve

StraightJacket 08-24-2006 10:42 AM

Good luck up there, a friend and I have just done the same thing. We are going with $5.00 a sq. ft. on indoor storage. Most of the places around Chicago are $7.00 a sq., we are hoping to do volume bussiness.

Dave1972 08-24-2006 10:48 AM

Are you guys seriously paying $5-$7 per sq. ft. or are you paying for linear ft.? My storage is $15/linear foot every 6 months in the summer and $12/linear foot in the winter (with heat) every 6 months.

Dredgeking 08-24-2006 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by StraightJacket
Good luck up there, a friend and I have just done the same thing. We are going with $5.00 a sq. ft. on indoor storage. Most of the places around Chicago are $7.00 a sq., we are hoping to do volume bussiness.

Is that for heated or unheated storage? I've seen heated storage at $5 or more / sf up north.

LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS 08-25-2006 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dredgeking
Hey Mike,

I've been trying to find myself. I think. Too busy for boating. Hell, my boat is still in storage and hasn't been taken out once this summer. So I figured if I bought the company I might actually get on the water.

Not to be rude, or rain on your day.. Its a very tough business to be in. I also thought that too when starting my Marina... Oy was I wrong! I boat less now than ever in my personal boat....

The good thing is I am regularly in some real neat stuff on a regular basis do to the type of stuff I specialize in... I also love what I do so it can be fullfilling... Good luck to you out there in the midwest.. :)

Btw.. Dont always look to be the cheapest.. Cheaper isnt always better.. If your too cheap you cant pay to do things properly & you will fold.. Set a price thats fair so you can make a reasonable dollar. This way you can pay your overhead & concentrate on doing a good job instead of worrying about money. Just my opinion.... Jamie / Lakeside

Dredgeking 08-25-2006 08:43 AM

Just to clarify a couple things, I do not operate a marina, at this time, and I don't want to be the cheapest. I want to be the least expensive. I don't have the overhead of a marina operation so I can be less expensive than the others. I don't think quality service costs any more to provide. So low quality low cost service is possible.