Notices

European Boaters

Old 08-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default European Boaters

OK, where are the hot spots? Do people get together like LOTO and Havasu on the water frequently? What countries have the better climates and larger concentration of performance minded boaters? How about industry? Where are performance boats built? Let's hear everything.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:18 PM
Registered

Default Re: European Boaters

It's only about 1 A.M. out there, somebody has got to be awake.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm no expert but would think that if it's go-fast machines you're talking about, then places like the South of France (Nice, the Cote D'Azur), Marbella and Mallorca in Spain, are a good starting point.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

And it's 4.17pm here.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Registered

Thanks Nige - that's a good start. Anyone know anything about the Swiss lakes? Italian shores? I'm looking for the full spectrum. What about boating forums/messageboards in Europe?
Old 08-11-2006, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

South of France, from Monte Carlo to St. Tropez. You will find the greatest concentration of offshore powerboats in and around St. Tropez though. There are quite a few Cigarettes, a couple of Skaters, a few Apaches and Cougars. You will also see a few big Magnums but the scene is really dominated by express cruisers like Pershings, Baias and most of all Mangustas and Leopards. They'll only do 35 to 50 knots but when you see a 130' at that speed, it's still quite a sight. I believe there are 2 or 3 poker runs there but the scene is not even close to what it is in the U.S.

Other places are in Spain, Ibiza and Mallorca primarily. I've seen few Nortechs and Hustlers there.

I think you can forget about Swiss lakes. The noise and pollution regulations are so strict that you can't even fart there. Italian lakes are a bit better but the number of offshores is very limited. If you're lucky, you might see Fabio Buzzi or Abbate testing. Anyhow, the whole area is downright gorgeous so there is plenty of sightseeing and visiting to do before you start missing offshore powerboats.

Italian shores: in and around Portofino and Santa Margherita and most of all during the season, Porto Cervo in Sardinia.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Chestah Cheetah
What about boating forums/messageboards in Europe?
www.boatmad.com
Old 08-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by super termoli
Anyhow, the whole area is downright gorgeous so there is plenty of sightseeing and visiting to do before you start missing offshore powerboats.
I am actually seriously considering relocating. That's some great info, thank you. I am assuming you are in the area?

I will check out BoatMad now - thanks Leviathan.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Like said Super Termoli I confirm that the best concentrations in Italy are Porto Cervo and Santa Margherita-Rapallo. Then I say Viareggio(Offshore Mediterranean Capital in the sixties-eighties),Sanremo and Nettuno.

p.s. but never comparable like the Floridians harbors concentrations I think.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:37 AM
Registered

As you might feel alien if it doesnt look like Florida -
This is one of the largest marinas of Europe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampuriabrava

I dont know whether the boaters there gather for fast runs but they gather for private fun runs, my guess. I was never there, would like to spend there the late months of the years.
The model for this marina were the floridian marinas.

If you use the fat names Ampu... and Empu... for a web search you will come up with beautiful images.
Races are not so common in the northern part of Europe (except the very few better known) as there is not the sponsorship. The most boats there where I am have japanese motors (brand starting with an H) and these companies are only interested in low motor prices in order to be the number one on the market. They dont do any further marketing than this price-value marketing.

Quick Reply: European Boaters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.