Notices

GPS in dash, any ideas?

Old 02-06-2002, 06:17 PM
packinair

I have the gaffrig speedo in my boat. looks great works great. not bad to install either. also you can leave it on when towing to make the tatel tale higher

Old 02-06-2002, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Nordskog speedo hooked to a Garmin 180. The charting capability of the GPS is incredible! The only downside of the Nordskog is it is lit with 6 blue LEDs, and is blinding at nite. Otherwise the GPS fired speedo is the way to go. If you don't need a GPS, you can get a GPS reciver that will only run the speedo for a lot less money than the 168. Good luck
Old 02-06-2002, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey ,packin air, Are you saying your boat goes faster on the trailer then in the water ?

Wally ,Which brand are you talking about ?

I have a 180 garmin .It is great ,but it doesn't have max speed reading ! Which unit can I hook to it to give me this ?
Old 02-06-2002, 11:28 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You can take your Garmins and any other brand with a NEMA output and hook it up to your GPS speedo and the speedo will read the same as the GPS screen. The updates are the same as well.

Jon
Old 02-07-2002, 07:36 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts
gslinger,
For what I do with it, the screen on the Map76 unit is more than easy to read @ speed. I like the option of removing it from the boat @ the end of the day because my boat sits on a lift over Salt water, and salt water vapor is pretty intrusive. Good luck with your purchase.
MD
Old 02-07-2002, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boot, the Nordskog speedo has a high speed memory recall.
Old 02-07-2002, 09:09 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 925 Likes on 465 Posts
Originally posted by boot:
<STRONG>
Wally ,Which brand are you talking about ?

</STRONG>
The Gaffrig/Livorsi units.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 02-07-2002, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks everybody ! Does anybody know if there is one that reads to 140 or 160 ? 120 is not enough and 180 is just a little much! Thanks .
Old 02-07-2002, 09:51 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Boot sounds to me like you need bigger motors not a slower Speedo
Old 02-07-2002, 10:15 AM
Uncle Toys

Oops! The Garmin 168 doesn't fit in my dash Mike I've got too many gauges thanks to Dustin (that's actually a positive - thanks Dustin!) So I went with the digital Nordskog (Eliminators recommendation). I'll call this morning and talk to Mike Peterson and see if water temp sensor is an option. Pulled out Hot Boat magazine last night and checked out your dash again and saw the Garmin. Looks cool, but god I love gauges. Guess my hand held will have to do for the mapping (if and when I need it on the water). They quoted me $600 installed. My boat has been at Eliminator now for five weeks and if I don't get it back in time for Presidents weekend I'm going to blow Micks 50 amp fuse.

p.s. Mike, how's it going up there with the winter Olympics?

Quick Reply: GPS in dash, any ideas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.