Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Charlevoix/Traverse City area? >

Charlevoix/Traverse City area?

Notices

Charlevoix/Traverse City area?

Old 08-30-2006, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NEED HELP! My husband and I and a few other couples are going up Thursday to Torch (tomorrow) in our boat and a powerquest. Never been there before. Where is the best place to launch and places to stay clear off? We just put $20K into new outdrives and don't want to have any issues. THANKS!
Old 08-30-2006, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Re: Charlevoix/Traverse City area?

Originally Posted by Becca48838
NEED HELP! My husband and I and a few other couples are going up Thursday to Torch (tomorrow) in our boat and a powerquest. Never been there before. Where is the best place to launch and places to stay clear off? We just put $20K into new outdrives and don't want to have any issues. THANKS!
You had better do some research and talk to a lot of people that know those waters up there and maybe even follow someone for the first time that really KNOWS those waters well....I am speaking specifically about coming up the Torch River via Lake Skegemog which is where the stump field is. The water is shallow and merky, but navigable. Stay in the center at very low idle speeds as you're going through the stump field and according to "Perfectmix"/Josh you want to come off plane about 200 yards BEFORE you actually begin to enter the stump field from Skegemog.

Josh also says that there is a launch right on the Torch River by a gas station about 1/2 mile or so up river from the stump field that you can launch from....he has launched his 38' Powerquest there many times.

We'll be up at Torch Lake around 12-1pm on Friday and will be coming up the Torch River via Elk Lake, Lake Skegemog and the stump field. Wave at us if you see us. Mark
Old 08-31-2006, 06:58 AM
Registered

Hello everyone headed north Sounds like its going to be a busy couple weekends in N. MIchigan(Torch-Hardy Pond) Look for me on Torch, 38 Avenger, Have a Happy and Safe Holiday Weekend!!!
Attached Thumbnails Charlevoix/Traverse City area?-dsc00777.jpg  
Old 08-31-2006, 07:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Becca48838
Kamma pretty much nailed it. Come off plane about 200 yards from the bouys when you are coming from Skegemog in to the mouth of the river. Stay to the center of the channel, and be on the look out for stumps close to the surface. Once you get in to the river, just stay to the middle, and you should be fine. We'll be out there friday afternoon in a Baja called Outlaw'd if you need anything.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Perfectmix
Hello everyone headed north Sounds like its going to be a busy couple weekends in N. MIchigan(Torch-Hardy Pond) Look for me on Torch, 38 Avenger, Have a Happy and Safe Holiday Weekend!!!
Hey Mixer, thought U were gunna cum out & play on the big pond!!!
Old 08-31-2006, 08:53 AM
Registered

I am Friday and Saturday, Maybe Sunday but Monday probably in Torch
The Props were awesome Give me a shout and we'll meet for a chili cocktail
Old 08-31-2006, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Perfectmix
Hey, is that Tif try'n 2 undo her top????
Old 09-01-2006, 02:58 AM

I'll be out if I get my pump fixed, I had a impeller go out on me last sunday so I'll be replacing it (I hope) today.
Wrink do you know when they will be taking the docks out in Charlevoix? If there still in there is a group of us staying there for Apple Fest weekend and then putting the boat to bed for the winter.