Powerboat industry wrong direction? >

Powerboat industry wrong direction?

Notices

Powerboat industry wrong direction?

Old 08-31-2006, 10:12 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powerboat industry wrong direction?

Do you feel that the powerboat industry is moving in the wrong direction in any way? If so what?

I don't like the mid cabin open bow boats...look silly.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:18 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts
Default Re: Powerboat industry wrong direction?

like they say "theres an a$$ for every seat"
what may not be up your alley is just what the next guy is looking for.......i never liked the look of the deck boats till my dad got one! Now i think they are the coolest thing out there! what other boat can you fit 12 people on a 19' boat and still do 40mph!!!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 08-31-2006, 10:25 AM
Jerry B
Platinum Member

Opinion only. What concerns me is the number of boats that are capable of running triple digits on reasonable factory horsepower. I dont know the numbers but there are people that purchase these boats because they can and have very little or no experience driving at those speeds. Just because the boat feals stable doesnt mean it's safe. I think there needs to be something put in place to educate those who fall in that catagory.

Jerry.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:28 AM
Registered

Whether or not mid-cabin layouts appeal to you and me isn't relevant. (For what it's worth, I also think a closed deck look cleaner.) Anything that expands the choices for buyers is, from an industry point of view, a good thing. They might "look silly," but if people want mid cabins that's a good thing.

Choice is arguably the greatest benefit of capitalism and the entire free market system. You and I like a closed deck. The guy down the street wants a mid cabin. If the boat in question was suited for it, a builder would have to be out of his mind not to offer it in both styles.

I think the high-performance segment is headed in the right direction in that, for the most part, it's downplaying speed as a selling point. The reason for this, insurability of products, is obvious. But the truth is that top speed really isn't the end all and be all of performance boats. It's kind of nice sometimes to cruise at 60 mph and actually see the area you're passing through.

Not that going twice that speed isn't a rush, but speed is not everything. I think most of the industry, motivated by self preservation to be sure, has realized that.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:31 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo
Do you feel that the powerboat industry is moving in the wrong direction in any way? If so what?

Some of them are able to be classified as "bow riders" and "deck boats" which allow them to be much more affordable in the insurance department. If you are a lake boater, and don't overnight on your boat, the openbow is a great layout.

I personally would not own one, but many of them are very nice.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:32 AM
Registered

Some of the pricing is getting out of hand IMHO.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mid cabin open bow easily seats a mix of 12-14 adults and children. The kids get to enjoy tubing, kneeboarding and skiing. With deep seating in the bow it is very comfortable to take a 60 mph cruise when the water is safe.

Of course, I like to dump the kids and open her up....
Attached Thumbnails Powerboat industry wrong direction?-env1.jpg  
Old 08-31-2006, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo

It's all a matter of taste I guess. I wouldn't own a mid cabin if it looked like the west coast versions. Sunsation mid cabins look good IMO.

Last edited by Frequency; 08-31-2006 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:48 AM
Registered

Prices of all high-end luxury products, paid for by "disposable income," are all out of hand. On the go-fast boat side, I'd guess that manufacturing costs due to environmental regulations and liability are the biggest drivers in price escalation. I don't think greed is an issue ... talk to a few boat builders, at least on the high-perf side, and you'll find a common theme.

It's a tough business.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:56 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Frequency
My mid cabin open bow easily seats a mix of 12-14 adults and children. The kids get to enjoy tubing, kneeboarding and skiing. With deep seating in the bow it is very comfortable to take a 60 mph cruise when the water is safe.

Of course, I like to dump the kids and open her up....
trim that baby down before you kill your gimbal !! Artificial tails will come back to haunt you.

Quick Reply: Powerboat industry wrong direction?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.