Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   1963 Century-coronado (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/139270-1963-century-coronado.html)

scarrab30 08-30-2006 09:04 PM

1963 Century-coronado

I would like to know if anyone on the board has any idea of what this boat is worth. 500hrs, looks brand new,440 or 413 chrysler with dual quads, straight inboard with borg trans. The boat hasnt been used in 12yrs, it does run. I was told this boat would go for about 13,000.00. Brian

cowisl 08-30-2006 10:43 PM

Re: 1963 Century-coronado

I have a 1960 16' Century Resorter. If the boat does not have original power, guages, etc, then the value is not as high as you would think. $13,000 sounds high. I would bet that there will be dry-rot if it has been sitting that long. Wooden boats are different animals than their plastic cousins

scarrab30 08-31-2006 07:28 AM

Thanks for the reply, I looked at this boat yesterday with a friend and looks like its never been wet. It looks to me like the stringers are mohogany or a wood that looks like it. The boat was in a temperature controled garage. I am just amazed at the condition of this boat . this isnt the kind of boat that I would ever be interested in but it is neat to see something in this good a condition. Brian

cowisl 08-31-2006 09:20 AM

I am pretty sure its mahogony. Just have someone that you trust thats into wooden boats go over it with a fine tooth comb. the last one we bought had to have a new bottom installed even though it looked perfect. Where are you located?

The resorter and the coronado(without the roof) look very similar

wannabe 08-31-2006 11:25 AM

Sccarrab- These boats are collectors items. The Century Coronado was the "cadillac" of powerboats. In fact they often used the cadillac motors in them. It was the most luxurious wooden speed boat of it's era. Chris Craft was the other.

Verify it has no dry rot, these are solid mahgony boats.

Believe it or not that is a 50+ mph boat w/ the dual quads. Note, it needs PREMIUM LEADED fuel. If you buy it the motor will need to be freshened w/ new valves , seats etc.

Google Century, wooden boats- there are clubs out there. Where is the boat located?
http://centuryboatclub.com/decade/co...ronadopage.htm

Wannabe

O.C.Barry 08-31-2006 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by wannabe
Sccarrab- These boats are collectors items. The Century Coronado was the "cadillac" of powerboats. In fact they often used the cadillac motors in them. It was the most luxurious wooden speed boat of it's era. Chris Craft was the other.

Verify it has no dry rot, these are solid mahgony boats.

Believe it or not that is a 50+ mph boat w/ the dual quads. Note, it needs PREMIUM LEADED fuel. If you buy it the motor will need to be freshened w/ new valves , seats etc.

Google Century, wooden boats- there are clubs out there. Where is the boat located?
http://centuryboatclub.com/decade/co...ronadopage.htm

Wannabe

Question for Wannabe -

I've always wondered what boat Dominique (Largo's girlfriend) drove in the movie Thunderball. When i opened the link you attached, the first boat that appears looks like the boat she drove. Even down to the 'hockey - stick' type of stripe. Was that a Century?

Thanks, Barry

scarrab30 08-31-2006 03:28 PM

Cowisl, Im located in frankfort, Ill. about 30 miles southwest of chicago. A friend of mine knows people that restore these things. I told him about this boat last night and two people called the fellow that has it in his shop to grease the wheel bearings and they are going to look at it in the next day or two. I got involved in this deal because of one the carbs not working right. Ive never seen so many people hot after a boat. The person that actually owns it wants to take it to N.Y. where they have a get together and sale once a year. I guess that is going on next week or the week after. Brian

cosmic12 08-31-2006 03:34 PM

more than likly clayton N.Y. they go ga ga over those old woodies. I was raised on century my dad had two of them. if it is the slideing hard top boat it is worth alot more than 13k if its in the shape you say it is.great find a real piece of history there :cool:

BradH 08-31-2006 07:11 PM

www.antiqueboatamerica.com may also help in the process.

LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS 09-01-2006 08:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We have restored them in the past. The old ones were wood & then the later 70's they made them in fiberglass.. The Restorters are usually in the 12-18k range in very nice shape.. The Coronados can bring a bunch more money if nice... The ones with the sliding hard tops are usually worth the most out of the Century line up back then..

Below is a pic of one of the most valuable coronados that was in our old shop's showroom for a while... I cant currently find any better pics of it right now.. Jamie / Lakeside