Powerboat industry wrong direction? >

Powerboat industry wrong direction?

Notices

Powerboat industry wrong direction?

Old 08-31-2006, 11:00 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Re: Powerboat industry wrong direction?

100, I understand the economics, I was just answering his question where I saw a problem. I think Conrad and others are doing what they can, but as long as things are built with "conditions"(only w/a package,etc.) it is bad for the industry.

It also took all my strength, to not say the BIGGEST problem is disreputable dealers, salesmen and mechanics exascerbating an already fragile and expensive hobby. Remember, to my knowledge, I am the only two time loser here on the board when it comes to dealer fraud.

And I still want to buy a damn boat......

Last edited by Cash Bar; 08-31-2006 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:02 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Oh, and on the incentive for Merc to warranty their drives, Goodyear(Toyo,etc.) don't give a fvck whose wheel you attach your tires to. If it's defective, it gets replaced.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

far to much focus on sales, and very little focus on repair, maintenance, and maintaining resale value.

Merc needs to offer small discounts to shops with merc certifed techs, to promote education.

as it is there is a massive shortage of trained techs, this will lead to poorer and poorer service, resulting in a more and mroe distant buying public.

Harley Davidson is a great model to watch how a company can make its employees, dealers, buyers, and stake holders happy over the long term, and no where in their plan is a shortage of tech's part of the equasion...
Old 08-31-2006, 11:10 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Hey, I said dealers, salesmen AND MECHANICS......
Old 09-01-2006, 05:20 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mid Cabins are cool

i havfe a 32 and a 28 in stock and they get more atention at a boat show than any thing else

I too like the look of the closed bow but you cant egnore the popularity of the new mid cabins

SUNSATION keeping up with what the market desires and still filling the go fast need
Attached Thumbnails Powerboat industry wrong direction?-dscn7319.jpg   Powerboat industry wrong direction?-dscn7323.jpg   Powerboat industry wrong direction?-dscn7324.jpg  

Old 09-01-2006, 05:24 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is one of the cooles looking Mid cabins i have seen

It is a 32' Looks good and runs great and mom and the kids seem to like it much bettter
Attached Thumbnails Powerboat industry wrong direction?-100_3989-qq.jpg  
Old 09-01-2006, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Pros:
*Quality of boats are way up.
*Quality of engine packages with I/O and outboards is way way up
*People can afford bigger boats than ever before
*Poker Runs are very popular and give people a great way to use performance boats.
* Outerlimits including the Tres Martin school with the purchase of boats

Cons:
*Driving skills of owners of performance boats
*Insurance
*Marine industry as a whole need to improve on people skills in the service area.
*Too many ripp off service centers and misinformed Mercury approved mechanics.
*Racing needs to be fixed.
*Poker Runs can not alone carry the interest of performance boaters
* manufactures need to step up and qualify people buying certain boats.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:10 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo
Do you feel that the powerboat industry is moving in the wrong direction in any way? If so what?

I don't like the mid cabin open bow boats...look silly.
Demand Rules

If people want more mid cabins then the people are whacked... the industry has to cater to the demand...

So essentially the majority of people are moving in the wrong direction... nothing new there it helps achievers prevail...
Old 09-01-2006, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cash,

No offense intended ... I wasn't trying to give you an economics lesson. However, the tire/outdrive comparison doesn't hold. Tire failures tend to come either inherent defects or road damage. You don't often hear someone say, "Yeah, the tire blew because it was on a Corvette."

Too much power, on the other hand, can blow drives. We all know that. If Mercury were to provide warranties on its drives for any engine, you can imagine the potential for claims. How could a buyer prove his engine falls into the range the drive is rated for? Supply a dyno sheet? Please. The potential for fraud is endless.

Plus, as you know because you understand economics, there is zero incentive for Mercury, an engine builder, to warranties its drives (which next to its engines are a low-cost item) for other builders' engines. Why on earth would they want to do that? It might help you, the customer, but it would also help their competitors. And Mercury is less than fond of its competitors.

Does that policy, that Merc won't warranty its drives for engines other than its own, hurt the industry? Certainly, there are no hard numbers to support that. It does suck somewhat if you bought another builder's 500-hp engine, which is probably why Ilmor teamed up with Teague for a drive package ... with a warranty.

The good news is the competition is growing. Konrad's Ace drive is strong, from what I've heard. Ilmor will introduce a drive (Paul Ray of Ilmor said that in a PB interview a few months ago) and I'll bet it will be excellent, like Ilmor's engines.

As for the dealer stuff, I couldn't agree with you more. You're not a two-time loser. You're a smart guy with a passion for an expensive hobby who had two crappy experiences with scumbags. Unfortunately, those experiences are all too common. The problem with those kinds of dealers is that they don't just suck at sale time ... they suck in service, support and the entire time you own the boat.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Three years ago I would have kicked my own ass for just thinking about a bowrider. After a couple of seasons of leaving half my family and friends at the dock while tooling around in my Talon, enough was enough. Sold the Talon, next boat will definately be a bowrider/midcabin or performance CC like a Concept.

Quick Reply: Powerboat industry wrong direction?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.