Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   The Fountain Beak - Why? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/139440-fountain-beak-why.html)

Scott B 09-02-2006 11:01 AM

Re: The Fountain Beak - Why?

So, that means we need to get the cat builders to start adding beaks??

CigDaze 09-02-2006 11:27 AM

Most people laugh when I explain it, most folks thing it's simply stylistic, but the fact is that the beak (and the flare which is evident down the length of most of the hull) has a huge impact on the aerodynamics of Fountain's hulls. Not only does it provide a substantial deal of bow lift, but this flare, or lip, helps greatly streamline and separate the flow of air down the hullsides and the deck. It alleviates a good deal of 'swirling' as air tends to spill from the front sides and onto the deck. This creates a vortexing movement of air on most boats. I've done some CFD modeling on various hulls, and reggie definately has something with his beak. ;)

Roger 1 09-02-2006 12:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Hauling Trash]It was a 32 Excaliber[/QUOTE

That's the way I understand it as well. Here is a picture that I yanked out ot the classifieds of a 32 EXCALIBUR.

KRAZYKATZ 09-02-2006 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Stormrider
it provides lift.

double yup.
lifts boat out of water at high speeds.

Too Old 09-02-2006 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Payton
What I don't understand is why there is such a love/hate relationship to peoples opinions of Fountains. I feel they are great boats for a decent price. Leave it at that. Why on earth do some people feel the need to bash other peoples boats? :mad:

Couldn't agree more. Obviously a lot of people like them. Fountains are some of the most prolific performance boats on the water today.

Scott B 09-02-2006 12:25 PM

If ya want to talk prolific, lets talk bayliner..

Oh wait :eek: :eek:

Scott B 09-02-2006 12:26 PM

Forgive me Monte, it's ALL in fun :) :)

ratman 09-02-2006 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Hauling Trash
It was a 32 Excaliber

now its a fountain 39' :evilb:

Downtown42 09-02-2006 01:38 PM

makes it easy to drop the wife off, nose into the dock, then go pick up young babes and raise hell :evilb:

UNSANE 09-02-2006 01:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by CigDaze
Most people laugh when I explain it, most folks thing it's simply stylistic, but the fact is that the beak (and the flare which is evident down the length of most of the hull) has a huge impact on the aerodynamics of Fountain's hulls. Not only does it provide a substantial deal of bow lift, but this flare, or lip, helps greatly streamline and separate the flow of air down the hullsides and the deck. It alleviates a good deal of 'swirling' as air tends to spill from the front sides and onto the deck. This creates a vortexing movement of air on most boats. I've done some CFD modeling on various hulls, and reggie definately has something with his beak. ;)

I was curious about that because I read the reason the new raceboat is missing its beak was because of too much bow lift at those speeds.