Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   The Fountain Beak - Why? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/139440-fountain-beak-why.html)

Fanatic 09-02-2006 02:31 PM

Re: The Fountain Beak - Why?

Originally Posted by littlenige
- but to me itīs just ugly......!!

I love the look but then again you date guys... :D

jordy 09-02-2006 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by RonS
At least that's what Reggie said years ago in advertisements and interviews. How do I know it's true??

BECAUSE YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS SH*T UP :D

Yeah, and Reggie "THE CAT KILLER" Fountain would never make anything up for an advertisment. :evilb: :evilb: :evilb:

Pantera1 09-02-2006 03:20 PM

OK ill say it , I like the look of the beak, you can always tell what it is right away.. In fact the only thing I dont care too much for on the fountains is the dash.. Dated orange crate, prefer the sticks in my right hand and flat not verticle..

cosmic12 09-02-2006 03:32 PM

I like the look very streamlined. But not everybody is 4 ft tall . I just don't feel safe in them standing and the bolsters tend to push you out of them. The cabin in my 28 is just as big as a 35!!! whats up with that? :eek:

Smarty 09-02-2006 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by littlenige
Can anyone tell me the theory behind the bow design on the Fountain hulls? Try as I might I canīt get over how (for me) it spoils completely the overall look of the hull. Is it supposed to help prevent damage in the event of a stuff?? The only benefit I can see is that it makes it obvious that itīs a fountain and canīt be mistaken for anything else - but to me itīs just ugly......!!

I understood that he took the bottom design (pad) from Allison and the nose from idea from Hydrostream, added it to the basic Excalibur design and improved the boat. I could be wrong, but it makes sense, based on his outboard hot-rodder background prior to starting Fountain powerboats.

Back4More 09-02-2006 09:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by CigDaze
Most people laugh when I explain it, most folks thing it's simply stylistic, but the fact is that the beak (and the flare which is evident down the length of most of the hull) has a huge impact on the aerodynamics of Fountain's hulls. Not only does it provide a substantial deal of bow lift, but this flare, or lip, helps greatly streamline and separate the flow of air down the hull sides and the deck. It alleviates a good deal of 'swirling' as air tends to spill from the front sides and onto the deck. This creates a vortexing movement of air on most boats. I've done some CFD modeling on various hulls, and reggie definitely has something with his beak. ;)

Thanks Nick, You let the cat out of the bag.
Now every offshore builder will add the beak to get better top speed and handling....just like they did with the steps. :p
I also noticed that the beak splits the big waves better than most. :rolleyes:

ACTIVESHACK 09-02-2006 10:06 PM

I think there are some aero advantages to the beak but its also 18" of boat for Reggie to sell like the 32" swim platform. So that made my 35 i just SOLD a 30'10" boat. Ive got too move the bunks back 6' on my lift for the new AT 37. Some of my friends are asking why im only getting a 2' bigger boat and then i explain the keel length and they understand.

ACTIVESHACK 09-02-2006 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by cosmic12
I like the look very streamlined. But not everybody is 4 ft tall . I just don't feel safe in them standing and the bolsters tend to push you out of them. The cabin in my 28 is just as big as a 35!!! whats up with that? :eek:

I went on Monsoon aka Sydwayz and it sold me. Brian told me your in this boat not on it and i new what he meant after owning 2 beak boats.

littlenige 09-03-2006 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Back4More
I also noticed that the beak splits the big waves better than most. :rolleyes:

Now that makes sense.

littlenige 09-03-2006 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Fanatic
I love the look but then again you date guys... :D

You been hacking my pc???.................. :D