The Fountain Beak - Why?

Old 09-04-2006, 08:28 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Re: The Fountain Beak - Why?

Originally Posted by GLH
Obviously to add class.

That is a good one. Looks like Daffy the pimp, I like it.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will try to get reggie to tell us why. I think the fountain is one of the best looking boats at high speed, stable, flat running, but to each his own . life would be boring and we would have nothing to argue about over a beer.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by carney
I will try to get reggie to tell us why. I think the fountain is one of the best looking boats at high speed, stable, flat running, but to each his own . life would be boring and we would have nothing to argue about over a beer.
If you could get Reggie Fountain to come on OSO and talk about his bow design THAT would be major!
Old 09-04-2006, 08:50 AM
Registered

I don't think we will get him on here , but I think we can get an answer.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:39 AM
Registered

Reggie didn't want it to look like an Apache- them thar are a type of cigar boats ya know. And they had a bad reputation as resin buckets so Reggie wanted to stand out from the Apache crowd.

Seriously- even if you disregard any possible aerodynamic benefits the overall bow shape should conribute to helping lift the bow when plowing into a wave- as I recall that was the same thought behind the strake design on the cougars wherein the strakes maintain somewhat of a flatter line than on Cigs, Scarabs, etc.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Bulldog, that is correct and I wish I had you all on my boat at this last weekends OPBA Sarasota Poker Run. The beak on my Fountain 38TE was push water well out of the way and acting somewhat like a anti-stuff plane. If I had the boat I had last year I would have been soaking wet and some water would have come over the top. This is not to say you cant stuff the beak some but it does help kepp the bow up and to push water out of the way and provide a dry ride.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:00 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by littlenige
Can anyone tell me the theory behind the bow design on the Fountain hulls? Try as I might I canīt get over how (for me) it spoils completely the overall look of the hull. Is it supposed to help prevent damage in the event of a stuff?? The only benefit I can see is that it makes it obvious that itīs a fountain and canīt be mistaken for anything else - but to me itīs just ugly......!!
The beak provides lots of extra storage space, for things like life preservers, compared to its competition.

Michael
Old 09-05-2006, 02:49 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FeverMike
Bulldog, that is correct and I wish I had you all on my boat at this last weekends OPBA Sarasota Poker Run. The beak on my Fountain 38TE was push water well out of the way and acting somewhat like a anti-stuff plane. If I had the boat I had last year I would have been soaking wet and some water would have come over the top. This is not to say you cant stuff the beak some but it does help kepp the bow up and to push water out of the way and provide a dry ride.
Thanks to all for giving me an insight into this. Now I appreciate the Fountain Beak!
Old 09-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smarty
He stole the beak idea. There was not any aero idea/design to the 1983 Fountains with regards to the beak, the Allison bottom copy (elongation) was the key to the early Fountain performance. Some of early boats had the 475 Mercury turbo package which was stout, but no way in hell in 1983 was there any aero thought to the bow design even with the stoutest engine packages of the day. The beak design makes Fountain Powerboats unique for offshore boats, there is no mistaking a Fountain.

Reggie was very, very good at taking an existing idea, and improving upon it, but most of all making it work.

I realize I am not Ed, but wanted to chime in with my $.02

Allison has pics of Reggie racing their boats many years ago. He copied the idea of a padded bottom & claimed he had the first padded V-bottom hull until Allison sued him. The beak came from his friend that was helping him design the boats. His friend ( can't remember his name right now) was a sailboat builder in NC & was asked to help give the boat a "different" look from everything else that was out there.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Registered

What is the infatuation with the beak, is it the fact that you non beakers rarely get to see the front of a Fountain and it's still new to you..... let the smack talkin begin.....

Quick Reply: The Fountain Beak - Why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.